See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

We booked the motel for an overnight stay close to San Fran airport. Upon arrival we immediately felt unsafe in the area (not the motels fault) and put our guard up. The reception area had a strong smell and a glass partition, obviously to protect the staff, which was worrying.
Our room was on the second floor, had basic amenities as expected for a motel, which all worked fine. Apart from the lack of hairdryer, so I couldn't wash my hair. The bed was comfy, but the sheets and pillows were dirty and had stains on them. The carpet and curtains also looked like they had seen better days.
The room was noisy too, the front door openly overlooks the road.
It's a motel so I wasn't expecting much, we had stayed in a few others on this trip which were much better value for money, safe and clean. I wouldn't stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I stayed here and was given a 3rd floor room. That room was just OK. Because of a bad knee, I requested a lower level room and was assigned to one for people with mobility problems. That room was nasty and full of cockroaches. The sink was unclean and the bathroom floor had dead roaches. Also, I think the manager's family lives on the second floor, right above, my room. For a few hours, I heard nothing but kids running around. I contacted the manager and was told that he will speak to them. I had a feeling he's related to them. Also, I was quoted $79 online but ended up paying over $100+tax+resort fees.

Will I stay here again? Probably not.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Jerry A
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

We've stayed in many South SF hotels over the last 18 years, to be with our daughter and her family, who live nearby. Suddenly every place is incredibly expensive, like double to triple the prices from a year ago. This motel was in the price range we desired for a quick one nite sleepover before our granddaughter's 5th grade graduation.

The room was more acceptable than we expected. Quite clean and very large. Bed was clean and comfortable. Bathroom ok. TV worked ok. Quiet despite being on a busy street. Free WiFi.

Beyond that, Motel 6 would be a major upgrade. As examples of what you get for $125.00 a night:
Mini-fridge works, but the entire inside is broken. No shelves or freezer compartment.
Closet has hangers that are either plastic from Target or wire that the dry cleaners would toss out.
Very thin, puny towels.
You can get a hair dryer and coffeemaker from the office if you ask. But don't bother asking for cups or coffeemaker filters, let alone actual coffee, cream or sugar.

But worst is attitude of managers. They were polite, but showed little interest in assisting us. We felt as though our simple requests were seen as an imposition, or by surprise that we'd even consider asking. All we wanted were those coffee cups and an extra pillow, for example, and the manager's immediate response was that he didn't have any. He did think about it for a moment, however, and finally found a pillow he could spare.

Also, as mentioned, they couldn't be bothered finding us coffee cups or filters for the coffeemaker. These we had to buy at the grocery across the busy highway. Fortunately we got to this store just before they close - at 8 pm. BTW, the managers didn't even bother suggesting the grocery option nor warn us the store was about to close, once they turned down our requests. They've also posted little hand written, rude notes to the office window, such as "No refunds, ever". How we coming Why not say this in a nicer way?

Yes these are little things, but serve as an indication and warning about what travelers should expect. So, if you can stay anywhere else, I suggest you do so until these proprietors come up with an attitude adjustment.

Date of stay: May 2016
3  Thank Arlene H
Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

Upon arriving at the Royal Inn we were greeted by the local drunk homeless who tired to petal his wears to us (mio flavored water). Once we made it up the narrow cat-urine scented stairway to the main "lobby" of the hotel we were directed to our room by a rude gentlemen from the front desk. The room was not even close to what was advertised but we should have expected that from the price we paid. If you are accustomed to sleeping in what resembles a prison cell then you will feel at home at the Royal Inn. Don't expect a shower or a toilet of your own either. After an hour in the room we requested a refund (even a partial refund) and were denied so we took the loss and got an Airbnb. Head my warning and learn from my mistake, sleep on a strangers couch it is much nicer than this filthy establishment.

Date of stay: May 2016
Reviewed 23 September 2015

The fridge was so old and disgusting full of rust inside. The microwave looked old and gross as well. Everything was super old and didn't look so clean. I didn't like that each door has like a cubby around it so for women traveling alone, that is kind of scary to get there at night and someone could be hiding behind the wall as you get to your room. You have to walk up an indoor stairwell also which is kind of scary at night. The neighborhood is a nice neighborhood but the hotel sucks :(

Date of stay: August 2015