“Good restaurant in South San Francisco”
Review of Cheung Hing

Cheung Hing
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 31 December 2014

We went to this place because of the reviews here on tripadvisor. Very friendly staff and very good ducks. The lumpias are good too and I was also happy with the Chinese beer. It was well priced as we paid as double as much in China Town for almost the same dish. Will we back soon...

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

The restaurant gets a plus for quick delivery, the food was hot but I felt it was very bland and Americanized. Shrimp fried rice was bland, tofu had minimal seasoning and not good. Peking duck was the only good item that seemed traditional. Stick to the basics. Also restaurant didn't diver the soy sauce or hot sauce I ordered.

Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I was staying at the Courtyard Marriott in South San Francisco and was in the mood for Chinese so went with this place. I was able to place my order online and they were knocking on my hotel door a half hour later which was really convenient because we were tired. The food was delicious and if I'm ever back in the area I will probably get more. One thing I did not care for was that my Szechuan shrimp was cooked whole with the heads and tails on them so I had to do a lot more work than I wanted to. The flavor was great though.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

FOOD:
Wow! The food here was just superb. We thoroughly enjoyed the roast pork, the barbecue pork, and the roast duck. They were tender, moist, well-seasoned, and cooked to perfection.

SERVICE:
There service here was exceptional. Our waiter was efficient, helpful, and genial.

PRICE:
Our bill averaged out to around $11.50 per person.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

This is one of the several Chinese restaurants in downtown South San Francisco, which range from a fast food to a fancy restaurant.

Cheung Hing is between both extremes.

I had lunch there on Sunday, January 20, 2013 after hesitating between several restaurants on the same main street of that charming little town, which is 45 minutes from San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf by bus 292.

Since I didn’t want to eat too much, I just took a Chicken Fried Rice for $6.95 and a Bud bottle for $3.25. Sodas were $1.25 for those who like that…

But when the plate arrived, it was so huge that I immediately asked for a doggy bag, where I put half of it and took it back to my hotel for my dinner.

This was not a problem, since my big room at the Best Western Grosvenor (for which I already posted a review right here in Trip Advisor) had a microwave and a real frig almost empty where I could put it; unlike all Best Western hotels that I tried in Europe (except the Apollonia in France, where there was none!) where, instead of a real frig like in the US, there is rather a cash machine full of bottles for sale and no space left for you to put your own stuff, that they call a “minibar”, with no ice compartment.

I was planning to take a dessert (although I didn’t see any in the menu that was handed to me) but when I finished my fried rice the waitress gave me the check without giving me a chance to ask if they had any dessert. Maybe it was because it was getting late, as I usually have lunch between 2 and 3 pm. This is a habit because during the Academic year, I always ask for the evening classes between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m.; and, by the time I get home, I never have dinner before 10 pm. So I keep that habit all year long, even during my four months vacations without pay, which I spend mostly in Europe.

But that was not a problem because a couple of doors down, on the same side of the street, there was a Starbucks open and I had my dessert there, followed a good espresso for $5 in total with the tip.

Then I went outside to light my Cuban cigar. But when I was about to strike a match in the middle of the sidewalk, a fat woman, who was sitting in the terrace at the entrance of that Starbucks, became hysterical and started screaming. That’s how I learned that now in California, it is not enough to be in the middle of the sidewalk if you want to smoke: you must be fifteen feet from all built areas! Although the terrace was full, nobody else said anything, but she made enough noise for twenty all by herself, which made me run away as fast as I could on that bright, sunny, cloudless and cool afternoon!

Maybe they want smokers to walk in the middle of the street in California and get killed by a car? That’s the best way to get rid of them, so that people can die naturally of a diabetes stroke provoked by their excess of grease…