“A Good Time”
Review of Gus's Barbecue

Gus's Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
Gus's Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 30
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mission Street
Transit: Gus's is located only a couple of blocks from the South Pasadena gold line station.
Description: Gus's celebrates the culinary traditions of the South, serving up fresh and inventive takes on regional Southern fare and barbeque while bringing the roots of true Southern hospitality to the West Coast.
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

This was my first time at Gus's, and I had heard great things. It's a moderately-sized restaurant and they do get pretty busy, so it's best to make reservations if you can. We were in a group of about 10 people, so we made reservations well in advance and we're all able to be seated together.

The cornbread in the skillet came highly recommended and lived up to the hype. I generally like cornbread, but don't love it. This is something I would order again. It comes with butter and a spicy jam whose spice catches you in the throat and not on your palette.

I grew up loving baby back ribs so I tend to go that route my first time at any BBQ place. A friend was really pushing the fried chicken, but I had to go ribs. I ordered the full rack of the Memphis Baby Back Ribs ($26.95). All the "BBQ Specialties" come with two sides. I went with the garlic mashed potatoes and creamed corn. I really liked both of my sides. The garlic mashed had a good consistency and flavor...you could actually taste the garlic! My only complaint was that they don't give you that much. The creamed corn was also good, but a little bit sweeter than most I've had. I liked it, but you may want to choose something else if you don't like it so sweet. My ribs were good, but not great. I've had better. I was a bit disappointed considering all the hype, but it was still a good meal.

I will say that I did try a few bites of the fried chicken and it was very moist, tender and tasty. Maybe next time I'll go that route.

The staff was extremely pleasant and attentive, and made for a more enjoyable gathering. Service has a lot to do with the experience.

Gus's does have its own parking lot (right turn immediately after the restaurant), but that can fill up fast. There seems to be quite a bit of street parking as long as you're willing to walk a little bit. If the parking stalls directly in front of the restaurant are open, fight the temptation to park there. Whatever that tree is there will drop sticky leaves that will stick to your car and your shoes as you get in and out of your car. Quite annoying.

I expect to be back at Gus's at some point, but it's not exactly in my neighborhood so probably only for another special occasion.

1  Thank Craig C

Reviewed 7 August 2016

The original owners, Gus and Jack Tripodes, were family friends and now Chris and John Bicos have transformed this South Pasadena institution into a vibrant, busy destination for really great barbeque and more. Being a 5 decades long Foodservice professional and fellow Greek, I love the tradition of keeping a place in good hands. BTW: I dined at Gus's for 41 years and moved to Texas, so I really know BBQ!

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

Very enjoyable atmosphere, good service with a smile. Delicious smelling food! Great bartenders!! Beautiful small town feel.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

We were visiting S. Pasedena with a large group and decided to try Gus's Barbecue for a late lunch. About 30 of us descended on the place and food ensued. I did not hear a single complaint from the varied crowd as plates of brisket, ribs, fried chicken, and sausages were brought to the many tables. The sides of cheddar cheese, jalapeño grits collard greens (the secret is the ham hock added to the cooking water) was a real treat for this neighbour from the North. I would come back here in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 6 July 2016

For carnivores who love slopping in scarlet sauce, Gus's delivers (and has been doing so for decades). The atmosphere lacks character but service is amiable and reasonably efficient. Portions are mammoth and there are two kinds of sauce at table to supplement what is swabbed on your meat -- sweetish and sort-of-spicy. Plus spicy vinegar sauce. But nothing is very spicy or assertive or memorable. Ribs are better than the brisket and the tri-tip comes cooked only medium. The chicken was the most flavourful for our group of four ordering different mains. Best were the side dishes including cornbread with jalapeño jelly, collard greens, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and beans. Gus's is not a place you go for healthy food or trendy dishes.

1  Thank ParoleAnima