“Satisfied My Meat Craving”
Review of Gus's Barbecue

Gus's Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
Gus's Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 30
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mission Street
Transit: Gus's is located only a couple of blocks from the South Pasadena gold line station.
Reviewed 30 July 2016

We were visiting S. Pasedena with a large group and decided to try Gus's Barbecue for a late lunch. About 30 of us descended on the place and food ensued. I did not hear a single complaint from the varied crowd as plates of brisket, ribs, fried chicken, and sausages were brought to the many tables. The sides of cheddar cheese, jalapeño grits collard greens (the secret is the ham hock added to the cooking water) was a real treat for this neighbour from the North. I would come back here in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 6 July 2016

For carnivores who love slopping in scarlet sauce, Gus's delivers (and has been doing so for decades). The atmosphere lacks character but service is amiable and reasonably efficient. Portions are mammoth and there are two kinds of sauce at table to supplement what is swabbed on your meat -- sweetish and sort-of-spicy. Plus spicy vinegar sauce. But nothing is very spicy or assertive or memorable. Ribs are better than the brisket and the tri-tip comes cooked only medium. The chicken was the most flavourful for our group of four ordering different mains. Best were the side dishes including cornbread with jalapeño jelly, collard greens, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and beans. Gus's is not a place you go for healthy food or trendy dishes.

1  Thank ParoleAnima
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

The neon Gus's sign in front is an icon in South Pasadena, brought back by popular demand when an anti-neon ordinance was passed by the city. It is now grandfathered in. There is neon inside too - it is a barbeque, after all.

It was very busy on the Fourth of July, but I made a reservation an hour and a half ahead through Trip Advisor (they used Open Table); the process was very smooth and easy. We did wait 15 minutes even though we had a reservation, but it was July 4 and busy. And the food was so good it didn't matter.

I was quite impressed that a hostess offered water to those of us who were waiting.

I was pleasantly surprised to find they have a full bar. My manhattan, not their specialty, was a little unusual but wuite good.

My son enjoyed a flight of beer to go with the appetizers he had as dinner. You've gotta try the red salt(+?) that came with the deviled eggs.

My daughter-in-law, a vegetarian, raved about the veggie burger. My granddaughter, also a vegetarian, loved the mac & cheese. My smoked summer sausage was superb.

My wife's southern fried chicken was a little dry, and when we got there, about 7:30 pm, they warned us they were all out of their specialty - ribs. Fortunately, none of us had wanted ribs anyway. Due to these minor negatives, if I could give 4.7 stars instead of 4 or 5, I would.

The servings were more than ample. We could have saved money by sharing - but we did take home some nice leftovers. Even so, it only cost $155 (before tip) for 5 of us and we had drinks before dinner - but no room for desert.

With the hard brick walls, it was pretty loud, but we were able to converse in spite of that - though I'm not sure how. :-)

One last comment: I looked through the reviews to find the _one_ 1 star review. It was posted in 2006 - ten years ago!

Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

I must say that I've had better BBQ home cooked in Louisiana. But for a restaurant outing this was the best ever on the 4th of July.
Portions are plentiful, side dishes of greens and red beans were delicious and all of the meat dishes were awesome.
We were a little disappointed they ran out of St. Louis ribs but baby backs were tender and mouth watering.
Can't wait to come back here another time.
(Now we are off to the rose bowl for fireworks!)

Reviewed 3 July 2016

This is a very good BBQ joint... As with most BBQ, it's not cheap, and the combo meal ($25) could have had more meat (5 St. Louis ribs, 1 sausage =, and a good slice of Brisket with 2 sides) was delicious. The Tri-tip was really good ($20) but not enough meat. Everything had great smoke and service was really nice... Happy hour only in the bar or patio, so that sucked as we did not get the $2.00 discount off each beer (we had 5 total)... but this is a very good BBQ place.