“Convenient to explore/experience downtown Sonora”
Review of Sonora Inn

Sonora Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Santa Rosa
“Convenient to explore/experience downtown Sonora”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is an older property in the heart of downtown Sonora, originally built in 1895. It has been renovated several times over the passing decades and is a mish-mosh of various periods, almost to the point of being uncertain which era it wants to be associated with. We chose this location as my girlfriend was from this area and knew her way around, so wanting to show me around the downtown area I had never been to before led us here. We could not have found a more convenient location for our daily adventures around town. Many coffee shops, restaurants, local shops, etc in the downtown area we enjoyed visiting and exploring daily. I recommend this hotel as your base if the downtown area of Sonora is your destination.
The "old' rustic part of the hotel is located on Washington St, the main drag, while there is a smaller,
"newer" two story annex located behind and where all parking is. We stayed in the older part and it needs some refurbishing. Carpet is old and worn, stairs are narrow and creaky. The room was very spacious and appeared clean with older furnishings/TV, etc. These items need some updating/replacement at the very least. The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom needs some work. It has an old sink, no shelf to sit toiletry items, toothbrush, etc anywhere, so we had to use my travel kit sitting on the floor for our items. The bath/shower also has no place for items to sit shampoo, conditioner, razor, etc as well. It was an annoyance. The kicker for me was each morning when I went to take a shower I turned on the hot water (it was HOT immediately) but, it was the color of the reddest Georgia clay I had ever seen; had to let it run a good 15 min before it began to appear "clear". The cold side was never colored so I have to assume it's not the old pipes but a water heater that is way past its prime and in need of replacing.
The heater/air conditioning is one unit located in the side of a wall. We used the heat and it worked fine, but it was very loud and aimed directly at the bed so the airflow was uncomfortable. We also heard the pigeons scratching on the unit every morning at about 4-5am.
Our room did have a nice walk out balcony we stepped out on mornings/evenings over looking main street and downtown, which we enjoyed. It also overlooked part of the hotel clay shingle roof which was rustic, but lost its appeal as the entire roof is littered with beer cans, trash, and cigarette butts, that one can only guess how long have been lying there. It needs some serious attention.
The continental breakfast was dreary. Store bought items that were mostly gone when we went down, and although there was over an hour left before breakfast was to be over, there were three coffee urns...all empty. I asked the clerk if we could get some coffee made, she said she would get right on it, but we waited fifteen minutes and nothing happened. I went into the adjoining lobby and she was gone. There was also no food left, but for some dry cereal we did not want. We left and never tried the breakfast area again. Dont recommend it.
The room was cleaned promptly each morning, and done very well. The desk staff were informative, and professional at check in and check out though.
For the price we paid ,on an off peak season no less, we expected better. We did get the closest place we could to enjoy downtown Sonora, but otherwise I was not impressed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have previously reviewed the Sonora Days Inn so it was a no-brainer to stay there again. I arrived late in the evening, but was quickly in my room and given a couple of choices based on ease of access and smoking preferences. The room was roomy and comfortable as they have been in the past.
The following morning, the manager, Merilee, greeted me by name. She runs a pretty efficient operation in a building with a colorful past. Take a few moments to peruse the sites history and you will see the property is well located and central to nearly everything.
It’s a great property with good prices and decent service.
As usual, feel free to contact me with any questions and hook me up with a helpful vote if you liked the review!

Room Tip: For historic room, choose the original building. For a little more comfort, choose the new building...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Manteca, California
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Our room in the "newer" section of the ancient Inn was just a motel type room. It's very small and slightly crowded with the floor having many bumps and a downward slant to the very small bathroom and shower. The ac/heater was turned on for heat....mistake, very bad heater smell and dust blowing everywhere. 1 of the queen beds was good but the other had creaking popping springs on which you had to place your hip just right to get support. I agree with many of the other reviews. This motel is not up for any awards but it wasn't awful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I just spent two restful nights at the Days Inn in Sonora. As many have described, the hotel consists of two separate and very different sections. The main hotel is an old, historic building, which includes all of the general amenities (pool, breakfast, etc), while the other section (which I’ll call the “annex”) is a generic motel, virtually indistinct from any other aged bargain motel. It is a separate building across the street from the main hotel, and it only shares a name with the main hotel. Everything else is different. The main hotel is old and charming (quirky?), while the annex is nondescript.

The annex is a two story, L shaped building, so that every room has a nice view of the parking lot. Being on motorcycles, this was a good thing, to be able to keep an eye on them. The room had two queen beds, firm mattress, and a variety of pillow size/firmness (a nice touch). The room had a neutral smell (a pleasant surprise, since it looked like it could have smelled bad), all the lights worked, and was functional. The air conditioner was a blast from the past – the type you haven’t seen since visiting your grandmother’s house when you were a kid. It sits on what perhaps used to be a window, or just a hole in the back wall, and eventually it cools the room down, though it takes a while and is quite noisy. The path of the cold air, though, did travel right across where your head is while sleeping, which was a bit bothersome. The extra pillows made a nice vertical wall to block the cold air overnight.

In my room, the TV was downright lousy, barely watchable. I don’t know if that’s the exception or the rule.

The bathroom was pretty tight quarters. The shower is a small stall, and I think some larger people may have a hard time in there. The showerhead was very low. I’m 5’10” and the water stream hit me in the chest. I had to duck to get my head in the water.

The location of the hotel is its best attribute. It is in the heart of the old, historic downtown, which is cool. You can leave your car (or motorcycle) and explore it on foot. That counts for a lot.

The room was clean enough. There was nothing that stood out as gross, but it’s obvious that it gets lightly cleaned between use, and not a thorough cleaning you might associate with a $120 night hotel.

Overall, the Annex to the Days Inn was an acceptable stay. If it were not in a gorgeous touristy area, it would be price gouging to pay the kind of money for such a generic, nondescript, older place. Put the Annex anywhere in a non-tourist area and it is a $50/night hotel, at most. But, it is in a nice area, it affords you easy access to an enjoyable part of town, and there are no major faults with it. If you do go there, check your expectations, and you should be fine.

Again, this is only for the Annex. I did not stay in the main building, and because it is so different, you can’t use this description in deciding to stay in that building.

Room Tip: Study the reviews closely, as the hotel is comprised of two very different buildings.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
libertinejvb
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I couldn't recommend staying here. The room was very old, the bed small and the accommodations sparse. They have the beautiful bones of an old hotel but have done very little to maintain or improve the rooms for guests. While the bed was comfortable enough and the sheets and room clean, it has zero ambiance or comfort to its furnishings. The bedroom seemed cramped. The shower had to run for at least five minutes before it began to get warm.

I will say that the staff were friendly and helpful. But that was the only pleasant part of our stay. It was acceptable for the last-minute booking we needed, but my husband and I were generally disappointed and certainly wouldn't choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
4.3 km away
5.0 km away
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to Sonora Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK