“Good stopover in Solvang”

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Pennsylvania
“Good stopover in Solvang”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Nice hotel, good location, just as you reach Solvang from 101. Hotel is in 2 adjacent buildings both with underground parking. Hotel was full when we were there so underground parking was full but there are some spaces adjacent to each garage and adjacent to building B on the side street, as well as the short term checkin parking which we were told was ok to use at night. Room and bathroom were a good size and clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't take the breakfast but fresh fruit would be a nice addition. Would stay there again. Love Solvang!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WeeLuv2Travel2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sylmar
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Room 115 has bed bugs.

My husband and I stayed at Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Solvang from Tuesday, December 20, 2011 until Thursday, December 22, 2011.

On our second night, my husband and I were on the bed when I saw a bed bug on the pillow. After we were done screaming, I took the pillow to the lobby and showed it to the clerk at the counter, Jeremy. Jeremy was very apologetic and concerned. He said he would move us to another room and give us a discount and that he would call the manager. He said that the manager would be there the next morning, so we took the other room he moved us to, room 206. He gave us detergent and trash bags so that we could wash all of our clothes that might have been contaminated. My husband took a load of clothes to the laundry room and there was no hot water (hot temperatures are what kill bed bugs). Jeremy had to call maintenance to deal with the situation. It took hours and they were unable to fix it.

The next morning, my husband forgot his wallet in one of the bathrooms of the common area of the hotel. The girl at the front desk called so that we could pick it up (which was nice of her). When I picked up my husband's wallet at the lobby, I thanked the girl and asked if the manager was on staff because my husband and I would later like to discuss the previous night's issue with him. She said he was there.

So far, even though our vacation had been ruined by bed bugs, at least the staff seemed friendly. However, when we were about to check out, we asked her if we could talk to the manager. The manager on staff was Kamesh Nookala. As soon as he came out to talk to us he was on the defensive and started being rude. We thanked him for finding the wallet and began to explain to him that our first room had bed bugs and that we had issues with the washing machines and that our last night on vacation was ruined. He began to tell us that they were NOT bed bugs, but that they were roaches! I don't know if that was supposed to make us feel better, but I told him that we in fact identified them as bed bugs and even Jeremy, the clerk, identified them as bed bugs.

The manager, Kamesh Nookala, continued to deny that they were bed bugs. He said that since the hotel is in "the wilderness" a lot of bugs come in from outside. I said, "You weren't here last night. Maybe you've never had bed bugs before, but you have them now. Even Jeremy saw them." The girl at the counter stepped in and said that they were in fact roaches and that they are in the rooms right now because they are in heat having babies, but that they will be gone in February!

Kamesh reminded us that they had upgraded our room. We reminded him that Jeremy said we would get a discount and that we did not even ask for the upgraded room change; Jeremy just wanted us to be in a clean room. Kamesh said that he could not discount the room because then he would have to do that for everyone who saw bugs in their room! Then Kamesh said there was nothing more he could do for us.

I said, "We won't be staying here again."

My husband explained that he would be calling corporate and Kamesh said, "What more would you like me to do...I already found your wallet..."

I said, "That has nothing to do with it."

He said, "You could at least say thank you."

I said, "We already thanked you."

When my husband and I got in our car to leave, we immediately called the corporate office and spoke with Joyce, who was very friendly and apologetic. She said that it is standard procedure for the hotel to call corporate offices whenever a guest even SUSPECTS bed bugs and that they must close the room and call an exterminator, which was not done.

We are still awaiting this situation to be resolved because this just happened recently.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
13 Thank Letty B

Travellers are raving about these Solvang hotels

California
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We've stayed at this hotel twice and both times were pleased with the experience. The staff is all very friendly; the place is vey clean and the breakfast quite nice. They have a complete assortment of hot and cold foods and Holiday Inn Express is known for their delicious cinnamon rolls. The shower is hot, with plenty of water pressure and the towels are big and fluffy. There's a nice assortment of toiletries as well.

The location is a few blocks from the center of town, but the walk is pleasant and easy.

Room Tip: Don't let them stick you with room 308.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
seattle
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We booked a room in this hotel and then called and cancelled. They accepted the cancellation and thanked us for calling and then charged our credit card. When we called to complain, they did not even offer an apology but said there was no cancellation policy. Needless to say we won't stay here ever.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Don't stay here unless you want to get taken advantage of and then yelled at on top of it. I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again because of the horrible way I was treated by this hotel manager. I made a reservation online, needed to cancel it later, and even though I had a cancellation confirmation, the hotel charged me for the full price of the reservation. When I called the hotel to ask why I was charged, the manager interrupted me and yelled, "What part of non-refundable don't you understand?!" Yeah, my mistake for not understanding it was non-refundable (it was probably one of those "terms of agreement" you have to click after tiny print), but why did they let me cancel the reservation without any notice that I wouldn't get my money back? I obviously wouldn't have canceled it if I had known! And why would you ever treat customers that way? The manager refused to give me the phone number for the national office and yelled, "We're privately franchised, the buck stops with me lady!" Please don't patronize this horrible business.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family