“Needs some TLC”

Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed 3 March 2017

We have stayed at this location before and it is a good value for the area, however the facility needs some cleaning up especially the carpets. Since our last visit they have started charging $3 a night for parking, another profit center but they are not putting any money into the building. The breakfast is very good and so is the coffee. And the location is great if your travels take you anywhere from Encinitas to Del Mar.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristina G
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2017

Thank you for your candid review. We apologize that your recent stay did not meet expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Stayed here with IHG points but going rate was about $160 a night which I would consider a little high, but this is a more expensive part of the country. I think 3 things are critical to hotel stays - Location, Sleep, and Shower.

LOCATION: 5/5 Close to the highway, right next to some nice dining options, and a 5-minute walk to the beach!

GOOD SLEEP: 4/5 Comfortable bedding and while it was a wall mount AC/ Heater unit, it wasn't too loud.

SHOWER: 4/5 Old tub style shower that looked a little aged, but it was hot and good water pressure.

The property and room is pretty much what I would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. However, the staff were all very friendly, and the breakfast was above average with a great selection of oatmeal, pancake bar, omelets, meats, pastries, fresh cinnamon rolls, and many beverage selections. They charge $3 a day to park at this hotel which seems a little unnecessary given it is really not in an urban area. Overall, this is a nice option for staying 25 minutes outside of San Diego and having access to a pretty beach.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank usflyer
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Reviewed 9 February 2017

This hotel was close to our meeting place in Solana, the area is pricey for hotels in general, and this hotel was reasonable and comfortable. They have a breakfast that is included. It does need some updating, however for the price and the service level for the staff, it was a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floors near the back to get away from the traffic in the front. Near a boul...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

Reviewed 8 February 2017

Was grateful to have only spent one night here (2/6/17) and i didn't sleep at all until I put ear plugs in. The walls are paper thin and so are the ceilings. I could here the people above me and to the sides of me all night.

The pictures posted on the HI website are even close to what you actually get. The hotel is run down. The glazing on the bathroom tub was flaking off, the carpets are threadbare and look very dingy. Not a welcoming site when you travel and are looking forward to resting. I will say that despite the overall lack of care to this property, it was clean.

he hotel has a good breakfast, with eggs, pre-made cheese omelettes, a selection of pastries and cereals, and a pancake machine.

The "fitness room" consists of ONE treadmill and ONE bike.

I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank TouringSM
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel and please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbance you have experienced during your stay due to the room conditions. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We value your comments and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 28 January 2017

I stayed here for 4 days while on work for the Farmer's Insurance Open (PGA tour) at nearby Torrey Pines golf course. The location was central to my needs and the stretch of Hwy 101 heading north for the next 5 miles to Encinitas provided a steady trove of interesting sleepy and quaint restaurants, shops an services. I drove that way nightly as opposed to heading further south into San Diego.

My room was clean and attractive. Housekeeping did a wonderful job keeping it in order and everything was spotless. Wi-Fi was quick and I appreciated that I did not have to sign onto the network every time I used a device or renewed a session. That enabled me to get my work done as expected and without hiccups. Breakfast was served on the second floor and did not run out of food despite a busy load of guests between 8:30 - 9:00. The attendants did a great job of keeping the meal stocked and the tables clean.

Being a gold IHG member, I appreciated being thanked for my loyalty and was given bonus points for my stay as well as a welcome bag that contained bottled water, a treat and a few other things. It is those things that make me smile inside and feel welcome.

Parking is underneath the building and $3/day. I ended up parking toward the back with the expectation of being able to access a rear elevator but the only one is towards the front. For families with large amount of people and unloading, I would recommend parking toward the front of the property in order to access the elevator. The elevator, by the way, is extremely fast and there s no waiting around for a door to shut 15 seconds later after pushing a button. Click and zoom, there you are. Much appreciated by me.

Overall quiet and central to my needs. Calls to front desk were promptly picked up and the staff was pleasant and always said hello. I slept well in room 331 and did not hear elevator, ice machine or anything else, including traffic.

I will be staying here next time i am in Solana Beach. Well done, Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up and farther toward the rear of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty as an Gold Elite IHG® Rewards Club member. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. A positive guest experience is something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We hope you will visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Solana Beach
3.8 km away
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
4.9 km away
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
6.3 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK