All reviews beach access breakfast room is free breakfast screen door short walk within walking distance covered parking hi express decent breakfast fridge and microwave stay there again late checkout pool and jacuzzi other hotels in the area per day stayed here for nights ice machine
Reviewed 20 February 2017

Stayed here with IHG points but going rate was about $160 a night which I would consider a little high, but this is a more expensive part of the country. I think 3 things are critical to hotel stays - Location, Sleep, and Shower.

LOCATION: 5/5 Close to the highway, right next to some nice dining options, and a 5-minute walk to the beach!

GOOD SLEEP: 4/5 Comfortable bedding and while it was a wall mount AC/ Heater unit, it wasn't too loud.

SHOWER: 4/5 Old tub style shower that looked a little aged, but it was hot and good water pressure.

The property and room is pretty much what I would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. However, the staff were all very friendly, and the breakfast was above average with a great selection of oatmeal, pancake bar, omelets, meats, pastries, fresh cinnamon rolls, and many beverage selections. They charge $3 a day to park at this hotel which seems a little unnecessary given it is really not in an urban area. Overall, this is a nice option for staying 25 minutes outside of San Diego and having access to a pretty beach.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank usflyer
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Reviewed 9 February 2017

This hotel was close to our meeting place in Solana, the area is pricey for hotels in general, and this hotel was reasonable and comfortable. They have a breakfast that is included. It does need some updating, however for the price and the service level for the staff, it was a good value.

Room tip: Ask for a room on higher floors near the back to get away from the traffic in the front. Near a boulevard.
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

Reviewed 8 February 2017

Was grateful to have only spent one night here (2/6/17) and i didn't sleep at all until I put ear plugs in. The walls are paper thin and so are the ceilings. I could here the people above me and to the sides of me all night.

The pictures posted on the HI website are even close to what you actually get. The hotel is run down. The glazing on the bathroom tub was flaking off, the carpets are threadbare and look very dingy. Not a welcoming site when you travel and are looking forward to resting. I will say that despite the overall lack of care to this property, it was clean.

The "fitness room" consists of ONE treadmill and ONE bike.

I will not stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2017
2  Thank TouringSM
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel and please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbance you have experienced during your stay due to the room conditions. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We value your comments and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 28 January 2017

I stayed here for 4 days while on work for the Farmer's Insurance Open (PGA tour) at nearby Torrey Pines golf course. The location was central to my needs and the stretch of Hwy 101 heading north for the next 5 miles to Encinitas provided a steady trove of interesting sleepy and quaint restaurants, shops an services. I drove that way nightly as opposed to heading further south into San Diego.

My room was clean and attractive. Housekeeping did a wonderful job keeping it in order and everything was spotless. Wi-Fi was quick and I appreciated that I did not have to sign onto the network every time I used a device or renewed a session. That enabled me to get my work done as expected and without hiccups. Breakfast was served on the second floor and did not run out of food despite a busy load of guests between 8:30 - 9:00. The attendants did a great job of keeping the meal stocked and the tables clean.

Being a gold IHG member, I appreciated being thanked for my loyalty and was given bonus points for my stay as well as a welcome bag that contained bottled water, a treat and a few other things. It is those things that make me smile inside and feel welcome.

Parking is underneath the building and $3/day. I ended up parking toward the back with the expectation of being able to access a rear elevator but the only one is towards the front. For families with large amount of people and unloading, I would recommend parking toward the front of the property in order to access the elevator. The elevator, by the way, is extremely fast and there s no waiting around for a door to shut 15 seconds later after pushing a button. Click and zoom, there you are. Much appreciated by me.

Overall quiet and central to my needs. Calls to front desk were promptly picked up and the staff was pleasant and always said hello. I slept well in room 331 and did not hear elevator, ice machine or anything else, including traffic.

I will be staying here next time i am in Solana Beach. Well done, Holiday Inn Express.

Room tip: Rooms higher up and farther toward the rear of the hotel are quieter.
Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty as an Gold Elite IHG® Rewards Club member. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. A positive guest experience is something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 24 January 2017

We decided to visit relatives in the San Diego area for Thanksgiving and chose this place for its proximity to the beach. Since we were traveling with 2 children, after booking the reservation, I called the hotel directly several times to confirm that we would be given a room with 2 queen beds, so that our boys would be comfortable sleeping, and the friendly person on the phone assured us that all their standard rooms (which we had reserved) had two queen beds.

When we arrived late in the evening, we were given the keys to the room which was handicap-equipped. This room had a king bed and a pullout couch with horrible stretched out springs. After trying to lay on it and feeling the cross-bar push on their kidneys, they were tempted to lay the mattress on the floor. However, despite the dim lighting in the room, the carpet looked dingy and dirty, making that an even less appealing option.

Overall, the room was in a horrible condition. While the bed was made but looked rumpled. The couch was upholstered in cheap vinyl (which is different from imitation leather). The paint was peeling in places on the wall. The corners looked grey as if covered in mold. Mini-fridge was turned off, and had water collected on the bottom.

The room was very long and narrow, and the very noisy heater/AC unit was located on the short wall by the king bed. So in order to warm up the room enough for the kids on the couch (or to go into the bathroom without bundling into the overcoat), you have to keep the heater running so that the area in front of it (where we are trying to sleep on the bed) is unbearably hot. The bathroom was cold, both temperature and decor-wise, and the cold high-K CFL (or was it LED) lights took the remainder of welcome out of being there. There was no closet in the room, but a small alcove with the clothes-bar so low that the bottoms of the shirts would be dragging on the floor.

Needless to say, our first night was not very restful. So the next day we went to talk to the front desk to ask to be moved. While we could see people checking out, the clerk refused to move us, saying that the other room was already assigned to someone. So we had to endure another miserable night, and the next morning we were ready to move out. On a whim, I decided to talk to the front desk gentleman (not the woman who I spoke to the previous day). this time he was kind enough to offer us a standard room.

This room was the kind I expected at the Holiday Inn Express - it was warmly, if unpretentiously decorated, had a quiet heater/AC, and had two comfortable queen-sized beds. It was clean and neat. Our last two nights there were much more pleasant, though I don't feel that they compensate for the misery of the first two nights.

On the plus side, the hotel has a good breakfast, with eggs, pre-made cheese omelettes, a selection of pastries and cereals, and a pancake machine. Also, the location is quite good - it's a five-minute walk and a really long stairway to the beach (getting back requires going up that same 100'? stairway, but that's par for the course. There are a number of interesting restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, so you can get by without a car.

I had stayed at Holiday Inn Express hotels numerous times in the past and had come to expect a very consistent, pleasant experience. However, this time has shaken my opinion of this brand, which left me very disappointed and not inclined to try Holiday Inn Express again.

Room tip: Avoid handicap-accessible rooms for a better experience.
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
HinnExpress, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel and please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbance you have experienced during your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We value your comments and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.