“Delicious Puerto Rican Food!”
Review of El Coqui

El Coqui
Ranked #22 of 582 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We ate here about a week ago with our young son. It was a pretty slow weeknight, so we got seated immediately. Our waitress was really nice and helpful. The food came out pretty quickly and it was delicious! My husband, who is Colombian, was especially happy with it, and he is picky about Latin American food. My only note would be that there are no drink refills on their lemonades (made in-house, though), which I didn't realize, and they charge you extra for their garlic sauce (the waitress asked if we wanted some, but she didn't tell us it was extra, so we said yes). Other than that, excellent restaurant, and we would definitely go back!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Authentic Puerto Rican food. (I am from Bermuda and know Caribbean food and rum). Good Happy Hour, 3 to 6 pm. Loved the Top Sirloin Steak Breaded, Puerto Rican Yellow Rice, Stewed Beans Sweet Plantains Avocado Salad. Guests of mine had the Pollo al Horno, also good for non-spicy types, and Chuletas are for the "white meat" alternative crowd. Will go here once a month, at least.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

El Coqui has good Puerto Rican food, which is unique in Santa Rosa. I really enjoyed my stuffed plantain. I felt that it was a bit "cheap" to charge extra for the olive oil garlic sauce.
The problem is the noise level. There were very few people in the restaurant when we were there, and yet, my friends and I could barely hear each other. I don't know if its the acoustics, or the arrangement of the tables, but it really takes away from the the good food and nice visual atmosphere. Thus, three stars for me. If I go back, I will go alone and wear ear plugs!

1  Thank Paulette M
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

We found our selves in downtown Santa Rosa on a Sunday afternoon. The options all looked like brewery pub food or pizza. Then we went one block over and found this charming place. It felt like mostly locals but some visitors like us too. The service was fast and friendly. We got plantain chips and avocado dip to start. Yummy especially when the spicy vinegar on the table was added. We shared a vegetarian entree with black beans, Spanish rice, two kinds of plantains, sweet and a fritter with garlic sauce, small avocado salad. Everything was really good. Lots of meat options, the pork looked great. Hope we pass through again so we can go back and try more.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

The restaurant has a nice feel to it and our waitperson was helpful in explaining its Puerto Rican entrees. Our meals were fabulous. To start we had the plantain chips with avocado. This could be a meal in itself. I had the sweet plantain stuffed with ground beef. It was served with red beans and rice and more avocado. It was fabulous but a lot of food. My husband had the baked pork chops, black beans, rice. It was a lovely taste of food not usually available.