“Good French restaurant, reasonably priced”
Review of Bistro 29

Bistro 29
Ranked #14 of 589 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Riley Street
Transit: Downtown transit mall is three blocks away, taxis and pedi-cabs available.
Description: Bistro 29 located in downtown Santa Rosa, Sonoma County. Bistro 29 is a traditional bistro specializing in “Breton” regional cuisine. The number 29 comes from the department of Finistère (end of the earth) located in the upper tip of north-west France. Known for the Galette de blé noir (traditional buckwheat crêpe) and sweet crêpes, Bretagne also uses a variety of local seafood and produce that can easily be found in and around northern California.
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Pretty rare to find a good French restaurant that is not overly priced. Bistro 29 is a gem: good French food, nice selection of wines and even some beers, and fair prices. We tried some of the French classics: liver pate, garlic prawns, steak frites: all very good, both the look and the taste.
Great friendly service (we did not make reservation and waited a long time, but the host was very friendly during the wait, so we did not really noticed how long we were waiting. Better make a reservation ahead of time.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 14 June 2018

I visited this little bistro with some friends for restaurant week. We did their Prix-fixe menu. It was nice. But, I might go again and try a regular menu choice, as the restaurant week choices were just ok. My friends were raving about this place, but we all found it to be just ok this particular night. Our server was not the most friendly until my friends I mentioned we also work in the service industry, then she quickly changed her tune and was much more friendly and talkative. Kind of stinks when you have to say something to your server to get them to change their "I don't really care" attitude. BTW...it was not a busy night either. But, I will give them another try soon.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 9 June 2018

The food is front and center; delicately prepared and delicious. It is well flavored--subtle when it needs to be; intense when it should be. We are repeat customers (over 20 visits) and if, on that rare occasion, something isn't up to perfection, the kitchen makes right. My husband, a home chef, has trouble passing up the steak frites because the steak is done to perfection as are the crispy fries and there is such a deft handling to the shallot pan sauce. I play with the menu--the daube of beef is a favorite but I also love their salads, soups (one of the best French onion soups anywhere), and starters. The desserts, especially the figgy/toffee pudding is heaven but I have also been savoring the chocolate fondant cake with salted caramel ice cream. I could go for desserts only!!!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank bobbint
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We stayed near Santa Rosa and I perused the Trip Advisor top restaurant listing and found this great French bistro. While the front and neighborhood are not terribly appealing, once inside you'll enjoy great food and service. I thoroughly enjoyed their Cassoulet.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 30 May 2018

For our first night on our wine-tasting trip, my wife picked Bistro 29 for dinner - based mainly on the good reviews. We reserved a table ahead of time (since it was a Saturday night), but they weren't busy when we arrived. Bistro 29 is located in a small storefront in downtown Santa Rosa. Inside, the restaurant is smaller than we expected. But it is a classic French Bistro - down to the paper on the tables. We were specifically wanting to try the mussels, and they did not disappoint. I got the classic mussels a la meuniere, while my wife got the tomato saffron. I think I enjoyed my dish more than she did, but mainly because the flavors weren't entirely to her liking. However, we each had a generous bowl of mussels, and they were very well prepared. We also split a half bottle of Cave de Rasteau 2015 Ortas Les Viguiers Red (Côtes du Rhône), which paired really well with the tomato saffron, and better than I expected with the meuniere. Service was laid back, but friendly and consistent. And our tab came to about $80, plus tip, which seems reasonable for the area. We enjoyed our dinner immensely and I would say that it is definitely worth a try.

Date of visit: May 2018