“Impeccable hotel, amenities, and service”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My sister and I recently spent a relaxing Sat night here and not only was the room luxurious, but the details were so thoughtful and anything we needed ( a pair od scissors for my sister's bead making) was promptly delivered by the front desk.

WE had some problems accessing on-demand movies so the hotel immediately comped our breakfast. This is a very classy hotel with an amazing lobby for drinks and jazz and an ocean view. We also had an ocean view from our room.

The hotel is very close to Santa Monica's popular Main Street. So after we arrived we strolled down Main Street doing some light shopping until we found the restaurant that "called" to us.

Room Tip: an ocean view is very nice
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Colson1010
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I will start with the positives on this hotel because there are many. Beach view is incredible, santa Monica pier is a stones throw away, workout room is great, great restaurants within walking distance, famous people tend to stay here, and the lobby is elegant.
Now the negatives......well negative, the room size is as small as a cruise ship but way comfier. You are paying high end prices for the all of the above so you would expect a larger room. It is hard to have two people let alone one in the room.
That is my only complaint. The staff is great and courteous. The pool is fantastic. I highly suggest taking a stroll on the beach during sunset.

Stayed: February 2012
11  Thank TimmyDyer
jbarela, General Manager at Casa del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Hi Timmy,

Thank you for your recent visit to Casa del Mar and for your kind comments. Our property has a storied past and was even an elite beach club in the 1920s. The architecture and layout remain very similar to the building’s original construction. I am sorry that you found your room snug. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

James Barela
General Manager, Hotel Casa del Mar

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Casa del Mar is centrally located near the Santa Monica Pier. It has the loveliest decor with beautiful bathrooms, and soothing ocean colors and shell decor. You will really feel the old world charm of a classic beach resort with all the modern amenities. Also you might spot a celebrity or two if you go at the right time of year. The breakfast is wonderful albeit expensive but priced according to the area.

Room Tip: Request ocean view rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your gracious comments concerning your recent stay. It is always wonderful to hear that our guests truly enjoyed their time at Casa. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best,
James Barela
General Manager, Hotel Casa del Mar

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Let's start by saying this was a special weekend as it was my daughter's birthday, Presidents Day and for me a treat to recover from being ill prior to the trip. My cousin told me to book a poolside room for the patio, my friend who had a celebrity experience said it could not be beat.
The hotel is beautiful, the lobby is magnificent, the staff is the best in terms of service once you ask for it.
However. When we arrived at 1 the room was not available so we ate lunch in the lobby restaurant. It was good California style food. We went out shopping and got so tired, we went to a movie to sit down and decided it was easier to go to dinner from the third street stores so we did not return till 9:30 at night. I had specifically asked for a quiet room so that I could rest. Instead i got a room next to the elevator. Worse there was a band in the lobby and until 11 pm it sounded like the inside of a steel drum. I would have gone outside but it was too cold. I called American Express and told them the room was unacceptable and I was not going to fight, they had to do it. I was furious that traveling alone with my daughter, I had been given a tiny room with noise to the nth degree. The next day we were moved and did not have to pay for the first night. Believe me after that everything should have been complimentary. We settled in the room and were too tired to go out the next night so we cancelled our dinner reservation and ordered in and watched movies. As I sit here writing I have a sinus infection and or bronchitis. Why? Because I have asthma. I asked as I do in all hotels for the engineer to override the system so the air would be continuous and I could sleep through the night. The engineer called me and told me to get up whenever the air went down (4 am, 6am ) and turn it on again. He was right. Every night I was up at 4 and 6 so I couldn't get up and lost the morning. To add to my misery the walls were paper thin. We could here the people above us stomping around and the kids in the hallway crying and screaming, a lot, most of the time. When I looked out my keyhole to see a little boy riding his razor scooter down the hall, I finally called the front desk. Perhaps there was no one babysitting these children? I will;l say the concierge were excellent as were the valet and room service. The room service dinner menu needs help and is a little too arty Californian for the weary traveller.The breakfast was excellent and arrived on time. I really wanted to love this place so I was disappointed. The rooms are well appointed (shower caos, moisturizer). The first bed was great and the second one was mediocre as were the pillows. My guess is noone stays in the other room so everything was brand new. If I ever go back I would need a very quiet room or to be on the seventh floor. Oh did I mention you can hear when anyone else is bathing or showering. This would be wonderful for a romantic getaway where you just don't notice anything in the bedroom!!!!!

Room Tip: top floor because you cannot hear the people above you
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank NC R
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed here for three days in late January 2012.

Pros:

Perfect location (literally steps from the beach) with beautiful views of Santa Monica Pier and the Pacific Ocean.

Gorgeous, spacious rooms. Three large windows only opened a few inches, but it was still enough to let in the warm ocean breeze. Bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

Bathroom was gigantic and had the most amazing hydro therapy bathtub. (I took three baths in 24 hours - it was that awesome).

Housekeeping was fantastic and friendly and thorough.

Within walking distance of Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica Place, and more.

Beautiful lobby, restaurant, bar, etc. Every bit of the hotel's design/decor is tasteful and stunning.

Cons:

Wifi ($12.99 per day) was spotty and several people in our group weren't able to access it at all.

Room service food was extremely expensive (compared to similar caliber hotels) and was below average in quality. We ate dinner at Shutters next door one of the nights and highly recommend it if it's in your budget.

Customer service overall was not friendly from the front desk on.

Small billing glitch after checkout. The issue did get fixed, but no apologies were offered at all. The worst thing you can do is make the customer feel like they did something wrong instead of owning up to a mistake.

The workers next door at Shutters were outside hosing down and doing work at the crack of dawn and were a little loud even with my windows closed. It didn't bother me because I'm an early bird, but you might want to request a room not along that side facing Shutters if you are planning to sleep in or are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank MichelleWill