“Not worth the price”

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Long Island NY
“Not worth the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

As a frequent visitor to the Santa Monica area, I was always curious about this hotel, mostly because of the Eagles' song. For a lengthy visit, I wasn't willing to chance it, but I stayed overnight last week and my curiousity is satisfied. Although the room was clean, and the evening clerk was very helpful that's about the only positive thing I can say. It took me 4 phone calls to even get an emailed confirmation, then the Internet was out for the day I was there. The room was small and unremarkable, and although daytime parking is free, overnight parking is not. There are much better options in the area (most pricier, but others in the same ballpark, esp if using a booking site).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank beentheredonethat56
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

You might think that the hotel is basic looking from the outside but it is totally the opposite. Rooms are cozy, charming, well equipped and nicely decorated. Has got a lot of style, friendly staff and free wi fi.

• Stayed October 2011
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

On our family vacation we wanted to be near the water and thought the name was cool. T However noisy, dirty, and no air conditioning. Big screen TV was smashed in our room and things were broken so we asked to change rooms. The bathrooms are mini so you can't even close the door.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank c0mpassi0nate
Costa mesa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

Parking at this hotel is minimal so you might be eager to get a spot just like my fiancé and I were, but BEWARE!! Parking is 25 dollars per night and the employees DO NOT TELL YOU! When checking in at the front desk upon arrival, I was asked to provide my driver's license, make and model of car and to sign my name at the bottom. Upon signing this you are agreeing to pay 25 dollars a night for parking. They also have a very small sign which is not visible that says in very small writing "parking 25 dollars". They don't want you to know that parking is 25 dollars until after they charge your credit card.

The room is average, nothing better than a best western. Just very average. The location of the hotel is the only good thing. It is just blocks from the promenade and pier! When staying at this hotel don't forget to bring your quarters and park at the meters on the street!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lola S
The Hotel C, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
First, thank you for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your concern about parking. Most of us are not fans of "the fine print." on any document, that is why we specifically bold the amount of $25 for parking on our sign in sheets, which are already concise so that our guests don't miss this crucial information, and so international travelers can understand it just as well. We also have a sign that reads "$25 parking each night," which we have in bold and highlighted on our front desk so it can stand out. We are proud that we are one of the hotels in Santa Monica with a lower overnight parking fee. We hope this made sense to you in the end, and wish you the best of luck on your next destination.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I traveled to Santa Monica with my wife end of Sep this year. I had to attend a Summit at the nearby Shutters at The Beach Hotel. Our head office (I am assigned to the Asia office) is also based in Santa Monica. We arrived in LA 9/24 and stayed with friends at Irvine. We then moved to Hotel California 9/26 and stayed there for 3 nights. We were hesitant to leave Irvine where we slept comfortably. When we booked online, we knew it was reasonably priced but had concerns about the quality of service and of the hotel. Heading the Asian delegation to this Summit, I had also recommended this hotel to two other delegates from Japan. To our surprise, it was one of the best hotels we stayed in. Great staff namely MARIBEL, JON and STEVE. These are the pillars and assets of the hotel - the staff who love their work. My Japanese delegates enjoyed their stay too (one enjoyed the surfing). Truly a charming iconic hotel in Santa Monica. In fact, on our last day, the producers from Hells Kitchen dropped by the hotel asking if they wanted to be featured for another program as they too felt that this hotel was a charming, quaint hotel that is iconic. I will stay here again next time I travel to Santa Monica. I need not say more about its ideal location to the shops and restaurants. Maribel, Jon and Steve, thanks again for your kind hospitality. You made our trip even more memorable! More power.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business