“Just Terribly Disappointing”

Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Redwood City, California
“Just Terribly Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Upon arrival at the front desk, my nightmare / sitcom began. After parking my vehicle in the garage and asking the desk agent how I will get out of the garage, he tells me I have to call Valet. I advise him I parked my own vehicle, yet he states I must call Valet to retrieve it. I knew this would not work, since I had my own keys and asked a third time. He became frustrated with me and would not answer me. He picked up the phone and told the person to come inside to the desk to explain it to me. He then informed me he was new. Then, the valet tells me the hotel does not offer self parking, only valet parking. I show him my key and tell him I parked my car in the garage as I have always done on previous visits. Well, he told me I to give him my keys and he would retrieve it so they could bring it to me when needed. Then, the desk agent tells me I was upgraded to a partial ocean view room, 834. I proceed to the 8 th floor and when attempting to enter the room, my key would not work. Clearly frustrated, am engineer saw me and offered to open it for me and proceed to the front desk to get me a key. Upon entering the room, there were other guests clothes in the room. I ran into the hallway and caught up with the engineer. I told him I bet the room number inside the key packet is not 834. He then checked and said it was 818. I proceeded to my room. I then attempted to order some dinner from room service around 530 pm. The gentleman answered and asked how he could assist me. I told him I just needed a chicken quesadilla. Then, he paused and told me the staff were in a meeting and can someone call me back when they are done, which would be in about 5 minutes. I hung up in dismay and thought I was being "plunked". I called the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. He answered and I told him what happened. He was so shocked he informed me the incident was "over his authority" and I should tell his director. He transferred me to a voicemail box for the Front Office Manager. I left a message and never heard back from her. Then, I decided to go downstairs to the restaurant. Upon arrival at 535 pm, it was closed. I asked the bartender in the lobby if it was closed for the evening. He said no, it opens at 530. I pointed out it was 535 pm. He then laughed and informed me he was covering for the regular staff because they were in a meeting taking a test. He sat me in the restaurant and took my order. I recognized his voice and it took me a few minutes to realize he was the same person that would not take my room service order! I ate my hamburger and went to my room where I called the airlines to see if I could depart on a night flight so I would not have to stay at the hotel. Unfortunately, the flights were full. I never heard back from anyone in management. But, should I be surprised?

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Gmac01
DTSbHGeneralManager, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Gmac01,
Thank you for alerting me to the extremely disappointing experiences that you had as our guest recently and please accept my sincere apology. There is no excuse for the service lapses that you encountered and you can be assured that they will be addressed promptly. Please feel free to contact me directly at 310-899-1360 so that I may be of additional service to you regarding your stay.
Kind regards,
Morgan Smith
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my mom and sister during our annual girls trip. We visited the Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and Hollywood sights and this hotel was a great location. The location is super close to the Promenade which is great for shopping. Our room was clean, comfortable and in great condition. The Coffeemaker was broken but replaced the next day. The hotel staff includuing the valet staff were amazing, friendly, and professional!! The parking fee is expensive but after driving around and shopping all day I didnt mind paying for valet and they offered great service. The breakfast is wonderful with a variety of choices on the buffett. The wait staff were wonderful as well. I highly recommend this hotel and would defintely stay here again!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Our room, a suite, was very nice, the bed comfortable, and plenty of room. The coffee maker didn't work and the bathroom door squeaked, but maintenance repaired it and replaced the coffee maker within an hour. The staff is courteous and helpful. The drawbacks: parking is $28 per day, although there is parking across the street at the civic center parking garage at a very reasonable price. My niece came to visit and needed to come in to feed her baby. We asked if she could park out front for a bit, and we were charge $9 for less than an hour. Another drawback is the distance from the beach, which is only 10 blocks or so, but that is crossing several busy intersections. I think I would prefer staying a bit closer to the beach, restaurants, and shopping.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tracy s
Arlington,VA
Reviewed 3 February 2012

This hotel is probably a 3-4 star with a 5-star hotel staff. From the front desk staff to the cleaning, restaurant and bell staff, they are all wonderful and very helpful. Location is a few blocks from the beach.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BigAdverturer
Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed for a week. And loved being near 3rd st promenade. Visiting grandchildren nearby in Venice. Restaurants, movie theaters, shopping and Apple store all walkable. We'll be repeat customers.

• Stayed December 2011