“Overrated and very overpriced . Give it a miss !”
Review of Gate of India - CLOSED

Gate of India
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Chose this restaurant as our first evening meal in Santa Monica , overall it was a very poor experience , service was not particulary friendly and the food was very expensive for a mediocre Indian restaurant . We ordered 2 average main courses , 1 plain rice, I naan and 2 drinks each and the bill came to $80 . Expensive for indian food , we had paid $50 elsewhere and had a much nicer meal . Don't waste your money .

There are newer reviews for Gate of India

Reviewed 13 October 2011

After not getting in at some close by restaurants this was our 3rd choice. Not being too busy on a Saturday night had us a little worried.

Service and setting are nothing great but get the job done. The is about the same. Just lacked some real Indian flavour although it did satisfy.

Ok, but im sure there are much better places to find some curry.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Due to our 5mnd old baby, we ordered takeaway.
The only "good" thing was that the food came after 10min.
After attempting to eat the food I suspect that the food was taken from the buffe.
The meat/chicken was VERY dry and the pices was too big.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was in Santa Clara for business, love Indian food and was so happy to see a restaurant near my hotel. What a disappointment. First the onion badjis were nothing more than onion rings. My Chicken Tika Masala was so dry that not even the masala sauce could render it edible. I told the waiter who took it off the bill, but my husband's lamb was just as bad. Shame on them for such poor preparation. The garlic naan was fine but not enough to save this restaurant from a poor rating. Don't go there!

Reviewed 26 July 2011

small & cosy place. food was very good, portions bit to small, but price wise was ok.
service was very friendly.
toilet needs renovation and it would be good if owner invests into outside seating .