“best chicken empanada ever”
Review of Zengo - Santa Monica - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: The Big Blue Bus and Rapid line both have drop offs in front of the Santa Monica Place at the corner of 4th Street and Broadway.
Reviewed 20 April 2015

big variety of starters and main courses. was an all you can eat offer including drinks (cocktails, too), which was just perfect for a cosy evening in a great location with tasty food.

Reviewed 17 December 2014 via mobile

Our server was fantastic and we loved the lychee mimosas. The food was horrible. One of our dishes was cold. You could tell some of it was pre-cooked. We did like the "french toast" (I can't remember what it was called.). Also, I wasn't a fan of the rooftop seating. It looked dirty and the seat was wet.

Reviewed 17 December 2014

The dishes were quite unique and delicious and they even had a gluten free menu. We had great service, friendly and prompt. We were there for an early dinner, so didn't have any crowd. the music was loud when we arrived but they gladly turned it down immediately upon our mild request.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

The food is excellent here. The service not so much. We were a big group but there was no other table dining on a Wed night. So it shouldn't have been too hard for our waitress to get all of our orders and drinks in a prompt timely manner. From the moment we sat down, I think it literally took about 45 min before we actually finished putting our orders in. Anyways, their mojitos are great here! Check in and get one free! Our group opted for the all you can eat option. For just $39 (no alcohol), we get unlimited plates (except the big plates). Now, you'd think this is tapas style but each plate was HUGE!!! I recommend getting a variety and sharing but still it's a lot of food. In order to get your money's worth, you need to order at least 4 dishes. All in all, my favorite was the thai chicken empanadas. The Korean chicken wings were also really good. I definitely want to come back and eat more. Hopefully next time the service is better. The service did get better over time. It was just really slow in the beginning.

Reviewed 24 October 2014 via mobile

First time I visited this restaurant, I fell in love with it! Loved the decor and the really unique and tasty food. We sat on the patio overlooking Third Street and it was a very nice atmosphere. Service was excellent. Well, the second time I dined here was a big disappointment. I returned for a birthday celebration for myself and my out of town friend. I did specify this on my reservation as well as a request for a patio table. The gum chewing, bubble blowing hostess said no outside tables were available and made no attempt to accommodate us. Once we saw that a large party had left from the patio, only a few minutes after we had been seated, we asked to be moved. She said that was not possible since we had already started ordering with our server. We decided to make the best of it since we had two birthdays to celebrate.

The food was good but some of the dishes that we ordered this time were quite bland, specifically the mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts. At the end of the meal, there was no acknowledgement of our birthdays. We were a little disappointed in that. Not sure if I will return after this experience.