Shutters on the Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
Seaview Hotel(Santa Monica)
View Hotel
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
Bayside Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Pool
Sea Blue Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Beachfront
Ocean Lodge Hotel(Santa Monica)
1,717 results
All reviewscoast restaurantpico restaurantbeach houseroom servicesister hotelbeautiful hotelsanta monica beachcasa del marpool areafour seasonsfull ocean viewliving roomlos angelesocean frontluxury hotellobby barbeverly hills
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed at Shutters three years ago and just returned from another fantastic two nights there. On this trip, I toured pretty much the entire pacific coast. By the time I got to Santa Monica, it was nice to see some familiar east coast cape charm colliding with everything I love about the west coast.

The Shutters staff is overall fantastic. From the first person who opens your car door to the person who brings you extra towels just in case, they all have big smiles. The rooms have every imaginable comforts. Flat screen TV's, even in the bathroom. A bed worthy of being called a Care Bear cloud. A jacuzzi tub that you can practically swim in accented with a Rubber Whalie for you to float. There is a hodge podge of awesome table books and childhood inspiring toys such as a yo-yo and juggling balls. All rooms have a balcony that is small, but still a nice touch. Coffee is complimentary in the room and if you are in the mood for a snack there is a really big mini bar (for a fee).

At Shutters you can enjoy the many great restaurants and lounges, sit by a fire, rent a bike, stroll along the promenade to the pier and lounge by the beach and pool. Its all geared towards comfort and relaxation.

One note, I did have a slight injury by the pool and requested and ice pack at the cabana. They didn't have anything to put ice in and apparently security had to deliver it. We waited for kind of a long time and I was brought the most pathetic squeeze to chill plastic thing ever. It didn't really get that cold and warmed back up even quicker in the sun. We called housekeeping twice for ice and it took almost 45 minutes to get some real ice on it finally. I was travelling with my dad, a doctor, and it was kind of weird we couldn't get ice.

Santa Monica is a great place to escape the craziness of other parts of LA and unwind. The boutiques and restaurants have so much character, as does neighboring Venice. Check out the murals and canals if you have a chance.

I highly suggest a stay at Shutters for families, couples, beach lovers, spa lovers, foodies, shoppers and pretty much anyone in between. Staying here has a very special feeling and the amenities are far beyond that of most modern hotels.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RobynPringTravel
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you are staying in Santa Monica, this is probably the best hotel. It is right on the beach, has a small pool, a great lobby with a jazz trio playing every evening at 6, and great rooms with very high four-post beds. The room I received had a great Ocean View. I also commend some of the staff, including the person at the front desk who gave us great recommendations for late night dining for Asian food. The free car service to nearby restaurants was also great. We purposely reserved this hotel as a means to recover from three days in Disneyland.

So all should be well, but there was something that was acutely uncomfortable about this hotel. The clientele tends to be quite well off people and this leads to quite a "country clubby" atmosphere. This is the type of place where if you do not dress the part (i.e., wear "resort wear" or long pants in the evening or undertake some other act commensurate with your station or level of wealth or whatever), you may get some looks from guests as well as hotel staff. I like staying in nice places, but I also like to revel in the lap of luxury while I wear sandals and shorts. Any hotel with an "esteemed" clientele could not be blamed for this, but I do fault some of the staff also. I got the feeling that I was being judged by my appearance which determined the level of service or help they provided. I don't think this applied to all of the employees, but it wasn't the case where this snootiness applied to just one or two persons.

Santa Monica was a great place to visit and I believe I would come back to Santa Monica, but I don't believe I would come back to this property.

I saw some children at the cafe during breakfast, and there is a bath toy in the form of a whale which is placed in the bathroom, as well as a yo yo and juggling beanbags. Other than this, there is no other element of the hotel which could be deemed child-friendly.

Room Tip: I usually do not opt to pay extra for an Ocean View room, but this time it was worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mohammedyu
Reviewed 14 April 2012

after a few days there has a hampton feel. with a nantucket traditional decor. very nice vibe but everyones seems to walk around with there thumb up there but. if your over 60 this place is for you i recommend that you book now. we checked out early and reserved 2 rooms next door at the loes it was very laid back and..

Room Tip: Get a view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trooMOBILE
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Once I enter the lobby, a sense of calm is felt. Experiencing this hotel is a must for any traveler, especially a traveler that needs an escape.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 8 April 2012

we checked out early and reserved 2 rooms next door at the loes it was very laid back and the food is devine

Room Tip: you dont want to be on the back street overlooking the hotel select a front beach room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple