“All about the Coconut Shrimp”

Aloha Island Grille
Ranked #98 of 406 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed 6 September 2018

Ordered take-out from here one night, as it was close to where we were staying on vacation. The food came quickly, huge portions, and it was all very packaged. Must admit - I hadn't tried Hawaiian cuisine before, so wasn't sure what to expect. I thought my teriyaki chicken was average, but my wife had the kalua pork, which was pretty good. The macaroni salad on the side doesn't really add much, and was a little on the bland side. The star of the show though, was the coconut shrimp! Absolutely delicious. Overall, not amazing, but fast & filling.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Popped in to grab some food to go, and was pretty impressed.

Big portions, the coconut prawns were stunning, and the kalua pig cooked really well - nice and succulent.

Katsu chicken was a really tasty slab of chicken but with a bit of an odd soy-style sauce that is worth giving a miss.

Overall though very good, will certainly try again!

Reviewed 2 June 2018

The Aloha Island Grille was within walking distance of our accommodation, so we decided to visit on our last day in Santa Cruz.
My husband and I both had beers - his tasted interestingly of lychees, so when we ordered a second, I ordered the same as he had - surprisingly tasty.
The dining area is pretty basic, but it strikes me this is more of a take-out restaurant. There didn't appear to be much on the menu to choose from, but I was feeling somewhat rushed as there was a queue forming behind us. In the end, my husband ordered a beef dish, while I ordered chicken (I think it was Katsu chicken). Both meals arrived with huge portions of steamed rice and macaroni salad, together with a sprinkling of sliced spring onions as a garnish.
The meat was a little too dry for my liking, and the macaroni salad way too heavy and flavourless. I didn't bother with the rice as it's not really one of my favourite dishes - especially given the lack of sauce. I couldn't eat all of my meal, though my husband seemed to enjoy his food.
Good job we were only on a short visit - at least I won't have to eat there again. The locals seem to like it though...

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

We haven't been here in a long time, so we got takeout food. They serve a normal size portion of meat, rice and Mac salad. The salad was a little warm, and not real good, but the meat has a pretty good flavor. The kalbi ribs were are my favorite, but I tried the regular beef today. It wasn't as soft as the ribs. I love their rain in too.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Our family has stopped into the Aloha Island Grille several times in the last 2 years and have had great lunch items. On the 15th Oct., I had the Loco Moco & it was just as delicious as the same thing I had at DA Kitchen on Maui several years ago.
If you spent much time in Santa Cruz, I suggest you check out the Aloha Island Grille.
They serve for inside, outside or take-out dining. They are open 7 days - 11am to 9pm.
If you like Hawaiian type foods, this is a suggested place to eat. :-)