“What happened to customer service?”
Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“What happened to customer service?”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The wife and I came in to Santa Cruz on a Friday for one night. We left Southern California early to arrive to Santa Cruz and hang out before check in. We arrived early so we had breakfast at the local Denny's then went to do the tourist things. Everthing up to that point had started off the day just great. We went to the hotel and I attempted to check in. My first impression of the people at the desk was not the greatest. I walk in and there is a blond man and blond women behind the desk talking amongst themselves. They finish what they are saying before acknowledging me and then look at me like I am bothering them. I state that I have a reservation and the man asks me for my name. He takes a moment to look it up and then states "Yes, I have you for one night." Then he points up to the clock stating that check in time is not until 3pm (the clock stated 2:43p).

First off, this is not a fancy resort. You are really going to nit pick over 17 minutes? Not only that but the fact that when he said this information he finally had a smile when talking to me. Was there a smile when I walked in and said hello to begin with? Nope. I simply said "Ok, thanks" and walked out to the parking lot. As I was walking out I looked at my cell phone and it stated it was closer to 2:50 then 2:43 but hey, I guess at this establishment the house is always right. Not the customer. I was half tempted to just sit in their chairs and stare at them until they check me in at 3p, but I didn't.

So I go back out to the car and sit with my wife and explain what happened. She was more upset then I was but we just sat in the car together. As we were sitting there we were just looking around the parking lot. It looked pretty empty, and it did not look like the maids were around cleaning rooms to justify the clerk not just allowing the check in to take place at the time that I arrived. I have been to many fancy hotels that have allowed me to check in up to 2 hours early with out me even asking for early check in before hand.

Once we got in to our "renovated" room we thought to ourselves that we should have just gone back to the same motel we had visited 2 years ago when we went to Santa Cruz the first time. There were wood style floors in the room that looked dirtier then the parking lot. I didnt take my socks off the whole time in the room. The bathroom floors grout was black in various areas. The wires from the tv and receiver were an electrical looking mess.

Then the next morning was breakfast time there at the motel. Not impressive at all. Two choices of cereal, coffee that looked so weak it could be mistaken for tea, danishes, and break that at first glance looked like the sliced loaves of blueberry bread you can find at the grocery store. Upon closer inspection it was actually a Costco style blueberry muffin that had been sliced many times as to fill up their little basket.

The plus was the bed itself was not too bad, however the sheets were pretty rough. And the location was good as others have mentioned for walking to the downtown area and the beach.

All in all, not impressed. Some better customer service would have possibly changed my mind about it and made me less critical. But their bad first impression just left a bad image of it all.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Just_a_wandererCA
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Central California
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here Sunday night with our 25 pound Boston Terrier. We were allowed to check in two hours early without asking prior, which was pretty cool. Our room was clearly not one of their recently remodeled units, as the decor, bathrooms, and tv were pretty dated. Everything was very clean and worked properly though. The people working the desk were very friendly (three different shifts we encountered, and all were super nice to us and our dog).
The staff gave our dog a dog treat, and the night lady gave us 50 cents out of her purse for the vending machine when we they didn't have change for a 10. It's probably one of the cheapest pet friendly places in SC, and we will be returning (hopefully we'll get one of their updated rooms I read about online).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toby G
Stockton, California, United States
Reviewed 20 October 2011

recently stayed at the Bay Front Inn... Kind of brought back childhood memories of my family staying there in the early 60's when it was the Monterey Manor..

The room was recently renovated with a very comfortable bed, clean bathroom, tastefully done with an awesome large flat screen TV and quiet, most important because I need my sleep ... also the front desk clerk gave us a good deal on the room so very good value here... the clerk as really nice and friendly, truly happy to see potential customers inquiring for a room, he went to extra distance to to rent a room on a monday nite. ...

A big plus is that the location is close to and centrally located in Santa Cruz, the downtown, the wharf, and the Boardwalk, all with in easy walking distance with out any hills to climb.. My next trip to Santa Cruz will hope fully have me staying at the Bay Front Inn.

Room Tip: ask to see the room before booking, good habit to get into now days where ever you stay...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I selected this hotel for its location and was not disappointed. It was no more than a ten-minute walk to both downtown Santa Cruz and the boardwalk/pier. We parked the car and did not drive it again until we left for home. The area seemed safe and we (two women) always felt comfortable walking, even after 11 p.m They were kind enough to let us leave the car in their lot several hours past check-out time. Directly across the street is Electric Sierra Cycles, where you can't rent bikes to explore West Cliff Drive and Natural Bridges State Park -- both highly recommended.

Our room was a little old and worn, but completely clean and comfortable. Decent beds with plenty of pillows, fridge and microwave. We are not the type of people to hang out in the room. We don't care how big the TV is or how many channels it gets. As a comfortable place to sleep and take a shower this hotel was perfect for us.

If you plan on spending time downtown and on the waterfront, this is a great option.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Were given an upgrade to one of the renovated rooms at the Bay Front Inn.

The good: The room had a comfy queen bed and a 40+" flatscreen tv with dish network reception (includes HBO and many pay-per-view options). There's also a microwave and a fridge, and a heating/cooling unit that works well (this time of year, we used both heat and a/c in one day). The wireless connection password is posted on the door (convenient!).

The okay: There's a continental breakfast from 8am-10am in the office. Coffee there was better than most places offering similar breakfasts, plus cereal, oatmeal, milk, and pastries. The breakfast spread is thin though, so show up closer to 8am than 10am. Sunday morning, the office didn't open until 8.15am--no answer to the "night bell". A bunch of irate, caffeine-deprived guests stood at the door. "They're not doing their job," a woman explained to her son. Oof.

The beach is nearby but not super-nearby; you can be walking on the sand in 10 minutes. We had two great breakfasts at the beach street cafe, about 15 minutes walking.

The bad: There is not enough parking in the lot. If the place is full, you will have to park on the street; Santa Cruz meters are every day (including sunday) from 9.00am on. There was no closet in our room, just a bar with some hangars. There was no dresser or desk either, and just a folding tray to hold our luggage. There was only a single chair to sit on. There was no carpeting in our room, made the room feel both beachy and unwelcoming; this is not a room you want to lounge in for the day. The renovation seems to have focused on the really important stuff: the bed, the tv, the climate control, and left everything else to our imagination.

There are many hotels in this area, many are motels like the Bay Front. If I return to Santa Cruz for vacation, I'd choose a place that's right on the water. Price was in the range of $90/night for a Friday + Saturday night stay; I think I could have scored a better place if I'd done more research beforehand.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms, which have comfy beds and flatscreen tvs.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple