“Really nice but not a great location”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Zurich, Switzerland
“Really nice but not a great location”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My boyfriend and i stopped in for one night on our way from Monterey to San Francisco.
We booked a suite which had a king bed, 2 tvs, big bathroom and a small kitchenette which was very well equipped.

Service was very good...helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a standard Holiday Inn breakfast, but sufficient and adequate.
The gym was well equipped also. They also have a nice pool, but we didn't have time to use it.

The only downfall of this hotel is that it is located far from the wharf and boardwalk, so if you are in town specifically to spend time at the wharf and fun park then you will need to drive for 5 mins or so and walking would take 25-30 mins.

If you are passing through Santa Cruz as we were and not wanting to check out the downtown and wharf area then i would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pinkpeonie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
San Francisco
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and two sons, 8 and 11 years old, stayed here for one night. It is a very tidy place, although the pool was very very small and had limited sun coverage. The breakfast which included omlettes and panckes was substantial. However, there were several disappointments. First off, the location is quite a distance from restaurants and the boardwalk/wharf area. You must drive everywhere and there is a lot of traffic congestion in this area on the weekends. Second, upon completing our check in, the desk clerk offered us two small bottles of water since my husband was a member of the Holiday Inn loyalty program. I asked for two more since there were four of us and she replied that this was not possible. I realize this is a small detail, but why lose business over two extra bottles of water. I will always equate the Holiday Inn brand w/ stinginess now and if given a choice will chose another brand.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Deborah J
Granite Bay, CA
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This Holiday Inn is pretty easy to find. I requested a room away from the elevator, and we were placed in a room that was the farthest away from the elevator as possible. Room was clean, rather large and the beds were very nice. Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn buffet. I had read that there was only underground parking, and that is true, so don't bring a car that is tall or has a tule box on the top. Overall a good experience.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mommyclaire
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Very surprised with my experience here. Obviously a hotel for those needing a place to rest their head but everything was great. Front desk were super helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable, hotel areas well kept, parking was decent and daily breakfast a really nice touch and a huge time saver. Check-in/out was efficient.

Room Tip: Might ask for a room that doesn't give you a view of the roof... If that matters to you :)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 671islandgirl
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear 671slandgirl,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again soon!!

Regards,
Angélica Rivera
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed here for the very first time after reading positive previous reviews; I had to experience it myself. To see is to believe! yes, indeed it delivered my expectations. First off, the location is bar none-it was easy access to the freeway and very easy to find. The architecture of the building was very nice and brand new looking; as we were driving up to the drive way, I was already impressed of the cleanliness of the surroundings that's a plus to me! Then we checked in, the staff were friendly & welcoming..nice a +. So we parked in the garage it was bright and well lit..for safety reasons? that's a ++ to me & fam. Went up to the room, from the elevator to the hallways to the room..impressive. Clean, clean, clean! +++. This is very important to me coz I am just a clean freak! Got into the non smoking room...voila! very impressive I might say..very super mega CLEAN! and very NICE! Ahh, the room was just perfect for us..Love it! The bed was very comfortable, soft, CLEAN linens and smelled good. The bathroom was stunning very elegant, modern and CLEAN!! Ok, breakfast was good same HI Express continental breakfast..satisfying & filling; could not complain. Then, time to check out..the only disappointment is the person in the front; the lady staff was not very friendly at all..didn't greet me when I say "hello, I'm checking out" didn't say anything, didn't acknowledge me or didn't even look at me! she had no eye contacts w/ the customer..hello! and work in the front desk? excuse me. So I thought okay she must have had a bad night last night or something. She looked unhappy and mad. Overall, our stay at this particular HI Express was GREAT and very happy we chose this hotel. We would go back and stay here again and again..hopefully with a smile from the front desk particularly to the one I mentioned. If you are looking for a comfortable, Super Clean & beautiful hotel to stay in..Pick this one!

Room Tip: I think if you stay on the first floor close to the breakfast room, you might smell the food in earl...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cleanfreak12
Dear cleanfreak12,

Thank you for such an inspiring & detail review! We appreciate you staying with us and your candid feedback. I have shared your comments with my entire team, I know they also share my goal to have a hotel our guests LOVE!

If you want to share with me any other information, please call me at 831.295.6001 or email me at arivera@bprproperties.com.

Thanks again! We hope to see you soon!

Regards,