“May The Kitschy Robot Collection Greet You....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“May The Kitschy Robot Collection Greet You....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is a neat little hotel convenient to many major business names. The front desk is extremely accommodating and there is a free shuttle to anything within a five mile radius of the hotel (plus the airport). I agree with the other reviewers that the beds and the body size pillows are a dream! House keeping doesn't speak much english but if you can smile they can work with you. All employees here are friendly and want to help you out. Shout out to Bill, Jake, Alysia, Sergio and Irwin!
The pool is heated and not very busy when I was here. There is 2 public computers and a free printer in the tiny but accessible business centre. There is an adequate fitness room and a nicely equipped commons where there is a wine and cheese hour every weeknight...and the commons remains open 24-7 as does the fitness room.
The place is very clean and I felt safe here. The rooms have either a courtyard or a parking lot view. All rooms have a knee to ceiling glass wall covered by thick blinds. Here again I agree with the poster Chris_Tretta that the doors did not have proper weather stripping at the bottom and will let in light and road noise if you have a front facing room.

I stayed here 3 weeks for business and I found it awkward to get to any shopping. If you have a rental car, this place is great, if you don't, you will be spending a lot on taxis. The nearest major city mall is a 50$ cab ride away. There is a small one around the corner, but it really doesn't have much to offer. There is many restaurants to choose from including IHOP on site, Bennigan's next door and to the opposite side, there is a tiny mall with a small convenience store, a bottle shop and about 4 restaurants including an awesome and affordable one called Iguanas that serves tex-mex. There is also a catholic church across the back parking lot that needs to be visited if only to see the beautiful statuary that they have. The congregation is very welcoming if this is something you are looking for.

Be sure to check out the walls of robots in the lobby when you arrive! 2pts if you can find Bender!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot - continental breakfast is a 10$ voucher for the on site IHOP. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Sassix
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Rio Rancho, NM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I saw this place on line after most everthing else was sold out. It's across the 101 from the office I was supporting. The reviews were good overall. I took a chance.

I'm glad I did. It was a fun hotel. The decor is pretty wild, but the furniture is very comfortable. The bed was outstanding. The triple sheet combo was nice and warm. The desk was very usable, but only had two power outlets. Wireless had good speed overall. The shower was large and roomy, but the bathroom sink was small and confined. Closet is good sized.

That said, I know it was a different hotel previously. It had concrete floors though, so it was reasonably quiet when walking around. But...There was no weather stripping on the bottom of my door and there was about a 1" gap between the door and the floor. The traffic noise was loud until about 10 when it started to settle down.

The staff was very friendly, and they had a free drink hour that we couldn't take advantage of, unfortunately. There is no breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris_Tretta
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

I was really late in planning a work trip, and The Avatar appeared to be my best option recently.

The Avatar was pretty convenient to my office (I noticed towers for McAfee and Yahoo across the street) and just off the 101. It's clear the hotel had undergone a pretty major renovation, with the aim of making a motel-format feel hip and luxurious. For example, the open air hallways were carpeted, and had curtains as decor.

The room itself was a good size, nice comfy bed, couch and TV. I slept OK - bed was great but the air conditioning unit was LOUD in kicking on/off all night. The gym seemed decent... But at 6am it was packed both mornings, so I went into the office to work out/shower.

My main issue, though, was in how The Avatar functions as a motel. My room was in the back of the complex, facing the parking lot. The hallways, being open to the street, seemed desolate. I didn't see security or anyone patrolling the area. As a female traveling by myself, this just felt awkward. I felt a little vulnerable. (Even more so that the man who checked in at the same time as me was put in the room next to me. Just awkward.). It was late, I was tired, and I didn't want to drive back around to the desk to get a new room... But if I had to stay here again, I would ask for a room on the courtyard. Second, when I came home the second day, the blinds had been opened so that the room was visible to the hall. I'm all for sunlight... But now anyone who walks by can see that my room is inhabited and anything that I might have left out near the window. (Which happened to be my whole suitcase on the couch.)

Bottom line: good location, comfortable room, but be prepared that it's a motel.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank CAHoya
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

The comfort of the bed was the best. Sheets were just soft enough for real comfort. There was also a lap table for the bed so I could work and enjoy the multiple pillows. Overall excellent bedness. The rest of the room was just fine. Very clean and appropriate for the business traveler.

The morning coffee, sucked. One morning it was the color of weak tea, and the next moring there wasn't any. We waited in the lobby for 10 minutes and it never came.

We were there as a group and were treated very courteously and as if they enjoyed their jobs.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the pool or inside of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank GingeeBattleBorn
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Avatar and I have had a hard time deciding between three and four stars. The good: great location, the staff is attentive and friendly, the bed is incredibly comfortable, and the rooms have been nicely renovated and have a good layout with comfortable and well kept furniture.

The just okay: lighting was odd, lots of spotlight type lamps scattered about the room. The room felt very dark to me. All rooms are exterior, and the rooms all have large windows facing onto the corridor, covered only with blinds. There was a lot of light leakage and I wondered how much privacy I actually had.

The bad: for Silicon Valley, the internet connection is incredibly slow. I was also not pleased with the bait and switch of 'free' internet that was unacceptably slow that could be upgraded to merely slow by purchasing a faster connection. And this is just me, but as a solo female traveler, I was bit concerned that I was given a room on the very far side of the hotel, facing into the parking lot and right next to a staircase. The halls are not secured, and while the area is fairly safe, there didn't seem to be much thought put into where I was placed. It didn't bother me enough to make a change, but it did bug me a bit.

However, it is a clean, comfortable and well situated hotel for business. The staff was excellent from the front desk staff to the folks in the on-premise IHOP.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the courtyard as there are two very busy streets that border the prope...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo