“Nice fixtures, convenient, but a motel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice fixtures, convenient, but a motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

I was really late in planning a work trip, and The Avatar appeared to be my best option recently.

The Avatar was pretty convenient to my office (I noticed towers for McAfee and Yahoo across the street) and just off the 101. It's clear the hotel had undergone a pretty major renovation, with the aim of making a motel-format feel hip and luxurious. For example, the open air hallways were carpeted, and had curtains as decor.

The room itself was a good size, nice comfy bed, couch and TV. I slept OK - bed was great but the air conditioning unit was LOUD in kicking on/off all night. The gym seemed decent... But at 6am it was packed both mornings, so I went into the office to work out/shower.

My main issue, though, was in how The Avatar functions as a motel. My room was in the back of the complex, facing the parking lot. The hallways, being open to the street, seemed desolate. I didn't see security or anyone patrolling the area. As a female traveling by myself, this just felt awkward. I felt a little vulnerable. (Even more so that the man who checked in at the same time as me was put in the room next to me. Just awkward.). It was late, I was tired, and I didn't want to drive back around to the desk to get a new room... But if I had to stay here again, I would ask for a room on the courtyard. Second, when I came home the second day, the blinds had been opened so that the room was visible to the hall. I'm all for sunlight... But now anyone who walks by can see that my room is inhabited and anything that I might have left out near the window. (Which happened to be my whole suitcase on the couch.)

Bottom line: good location, comfortable room, but be prepared that it's a motel.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank CAHoya
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

The comfort of the bed was the best. Sheets were just soft enough for real comfort. There was also a lap table for the bed so I could work and enjoy the multiple pillows. Overall excellent bedness. The rest of the room was just fine. Very clean and appropriate for the business traveler.

The morning coffee, sucked. One morning it was the color of weak tea, and the next moring there wasn't any. We waited in the lobby for 10 minutes and it never came.

We were there as a group and were treated very courteously and as if they enjoyed their jobs.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the pool or inside of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank GingeeBattleBorn
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Avatar and I have had a hard time deciding between three and four stars. The good: great location, the staff is attentive and friendly, the bed is incredibly comfortable, and the rooms have been nicely renovated and have a good layout with comfortable and well kept furniture.

The just okay: lighting was odd, lots of spotlight type lamps scattered about the room. The room felt very dark to me. All rooms are exterior, and the rooms all have large windows facing onto the corridor, covered only with blinds. There was a lot of light leakage and I wondered how much privacy I actually had.

The bad: for Silicon Valley, the internet connection is incredibly slow. I was also not pleased with the bait and switch of 'free' internet that was unacceptably slow that could be upgraded to merely slow by purchasing a faster connection. And this is just me, but as a solo female traveler, I was bit concerned that I was given a room on the very far side of the hotel, facing into the parking lot and right next to a staircase. The halls are not secured, and while the area is fairly safe, there didn't seem to be much thought put into where I was placed. It didn't bother me enough to make a change, but it did bug me a bit.

However, it is a clean, comfortable and well situated hotel for business. The staff was excellent from the front desk staff to the folks in the on-premise IHOP.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the courtyard as there are two very busy streets that border the prope...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NVNative
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This is a typical Silicon Valley hotel - practical, functional, no frill, no personality and located in an area devoid of retail activities. There's an IHOP right next to the hotel and then some diners right across the street (Mission College St.), but not much variety and no pharmacy nearby. The hotel is perfect for business travelers looking for convenience and competitive rates. The rooms are basic, spacious and clean. Two things I didn't like were: 1) The closet space (no real closet) is in the bathroom. While the bathroom is quite big, I don't like hang my clothes in a high-humidity area. 2) The daytime staff (two women) didn't appear very professional - rather lackadaisical and more like cashiers.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jenny X
Taichung, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed here during my business trip last month.
The location is convenient to campus and near the conference hall. Everything is good, friendly stuff, clean room, modern style, but not outstanding. Generally I got good stay here ESP the good sleep with comfortable bed, which is what I need for jetlag recovering.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business