“Excellent breakfast and great value”
Review of Madison Street Inn

Madison Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Santa Clara B&B and Inns
Los Alamos, New Mexico
“Excellent breakfast and great value”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I travel on business and if possible try to give my money to locals rather than a chain. This place was clean and well kept. I arrived late and called and talked to Ralph to tell him I was going to dinner first; no problem, they left me instructions to get in. Next morning, I had a nice breakfast of eggs benedict, then some helpful directions to get me on my way. They've been there 25 years; must be doing something right.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bornlate
tesswsantaclara, Owner at Madison Street Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Glad to hear that guest enjoyed the breakfast. We make sure to serve an egg dish, bread or pastry of some kind and fresh fruit every day. Also, work a lot with vegan and gluten free diets so please advise on booking if any dietary requirements.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
san jose, ca
Reviewed 14 May 2011

While I was a travel nurse, I stumbled across the Madison Street Inn on the internet and was intrigued by the idea of staying in a B&B in an old Victorian home and thought I would give it a go. I was immediately warmly welcomed as I stepped back in time as I entered the old Victorian home. I walked in on a cold night and was greeted by a crackling fire and Theresa's delicious chocolate chip cookies. The old charm of the place, the family-like atmosphere and dinners around the fire pit in the backyard or around the fireplace inside with other guests persuaded me to stay another 3 months! Theresa and Ralph are warm and welcoming and the family-like atmosphere is a lovely and fun alternative to cold, sterile and lonely hotels! I definitely recommend the Inn, especially if you like the charm of history and appreciate a warm, family atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank raidergirl222
Santa Clara, California, USA
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I'm staying at the inn for an extended period time and couldn't be happier. I am a travel nurse and could have stayed in corporate housing (apartment) or an extended stay hotel but I found the inn online and decided it would be fun to check out.

Theresa and Ralph are amazing hosts and know a lot about the area from where to hike, bike or shop to where to eat, etc. The weekly dinners are a fun time to get to know other guests-around the bbq outside in the warmer weather or in the parlor by the fire when its too cold (I've done both!) Like an earlier poster said it feels like you are having dinner with a group of friends. There is a ton of seating in the back yard/pool area and its one of my favorite places to sit and read. I'm in the Fremont room which is super airy with tons of natural light.

I use the internet all the time and I have never had an issue with it which isn't the case in most of the hotels I have stayed in so that's a bonus!

I'm here for a little while longer and I am already sad to leave. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a place that is more like a home and less like a hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank angiern76
Reviewed 10 May 2011

After reading reviews of the Madison St. Inn, I booked a four-night stay. I arrived very late at night and the innkeepers were accommodating, leaving me access to the room. When I went to the room, it was so tiny I could barely move around the bed. The linens were threadbare and the blanket was ripped and worn. The bathroom had blood spatters all over the hairdryer and curtains. There was one filthy plastic cup on the vanity. Needless to say, I changed my plans and left the next morning. When I mentioned the issues to the innkeeper, she said that perhaps the cleaner had "forgotten" to clean the room!"

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MarylandErin
tesswsantaclara, Owner at Madison Street Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2011
I am sorry that the Iinn failed to meet this guest's standard of cleanliness. Some of our rooms are small, I USUALLY point that out when the person is booking. it is possible that I did not in this case. In any line of business the customer is always right, but I need to disgagree with this guest's assessment of the condition of the room and the words used were far too harsh. My comment " the cleaner must have forgotten" was made in an effort not to second guess her opinion and I offered her the Suite at the same price.
I probably could have handled the complaints differently.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Madison Street Inn en route back to San Jose after touring San Simeon and wine country/Paso Robles. We were thrilled with the ambiance, the hospitality and the food! Because Ralph and Teresa live in a separate home that's on an adjoining property we never felt uncomfortable lounging in the lovely parlor or having an early dinner from The Falafel Drive-In (a must!) in the cozy kitchen. We'll be back and we highly recommend it for anyone traveling to the area whether you're "B&B types" or not!

Room Tip: The rooms are ALL lovely!