“Everything but a view”

HYATT House Santa Clara
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I just completed a three night stay in a king "studio suite." I normally think of a suite as a separate bedroom and living area and a studio as a single room so I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked the reservation. The room turned out to be more studio than suite (at least by my definition) but did include a full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, and 2-burner cooktop. No separate bedroom, although the room was sort of L-shaped so the bed was somewhat separated from the kitchen. Free wireless Internet access worked well and was relatively fast - except for the last day when I had trouble connecting (it could have been my system and I didn't spend much time debugging the problem). Overall, the room was clean, seemed relatively new or remodeled in a sort of contemporary style and the bed was very comfortable. My view, however, consisted of a multistory parking garage so even on sunny days, the room was sort of dark even with the curtains open. There is some sort of construction going on in front of the hotel but I don't know what will ultimately be there. There wasn't any construction noise (my room was on the opposite side of the hotel) so that wasn't a problem.

The hotel's location was great for my need (visiting tech clients) - immediately adjacent to the First Street exit of the Southbay Freeway (RT 237). The airport is about a 15-minute drive down First Street to Brokaw and doesn't require highway travel, something helpful at rush hour (during which highways are clogged to say the least).

The free breakfast was good, made to order omelet (including egg-white only), miso & rice for Asian travelers, as well as the standard scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, cereals, bread/pasteries, and Starbucks coffee. There are chain restaurants across the parking lot (Chipotle, Panera, and a few others I can't remember). The hotel has a bar, pool table, outdoor (gas) firepit, and outdoor pool. The bar seemed active during a typical "happy hour" and served appetizers. I'm not sure if it was filled with guests, hotel meeting attendees, or employees of the variety of tech companies within walking distance.

Overall, the hotel is nice, reasonably priced (at least for this expensive market), staff was warm and helpful, quiet, well-located (for my purpose), and had a decent business center (Internet access, printers, etc.). I'll stay here again for business, and while there were a few families with small children at breakfast, it does not really seem like a family hotel with lots of family amenities or a romantic getaway type place to me.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MyBoysDad
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Hotel Sierra is a very nice hotel, nice and comfortable rooms. The breakfast was good not great, but certainly enough to get a day started.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelBugCaliGirl
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Nice clean place with a living room/kitchen. Compared to properties with similar features, such as Residence Inn and Embassy Suites, this is much nicer and cleaner. Nice hearty complimentary breakfast using fresh ingredients with many options.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stay at this hotel pretty regularly as a business customer and the staff have always done a great job to take care of me and to make sure my stay goes well. They really have a great team and it makes all the difference.

The rooms are always spotlessly clean and with the small kitchen area you have the ability to use the Safeways across the street to prepare your own food if you want to. Of course, there is also a good range of restaurants right outside the hotel, including Piatti's, Red Robin, Yan can chinese and Yo sushi. The free breakfast and evening buffet is also great value with healthy options always available (I wish I was better at choosing those!).

There is also a really well equipped gym which is new this year, replacing the old room which was pretty small. They have several treadmills, bikes and elipticals and also free weights.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room overlooking the parking lot. On the other side of the hotel is Montague Expre...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pljvincent
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Our family of four (2 adults & 2 kids ages 6 & 9) stayed 7 days at the Hotel Sierra Santa Clara. We had a wonderful time, this hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the location was perfect and the morning/dinner food offered for free was GREAT! We had the one bedroom king suit. The kitchen was a great area to have in the room, having a fridge, stove and microwave helped with saving some costs on our meals. The pool area and hot tub was always clean, our kids loved the heated pool and we enjoyed the hot tub. We had a rental car and was always able to find a parking spot in the parking ramp right outside the hotel, I would recommend parking on the top, the spaces are bigger and easier to pull into, the lower level has pillars and with larger SUV's, the spaces are tight. The Rivermark Plaza right next door was nice for an evening walk, get food or go to the grocery store. It is a very busy are during the evening after 5 p.m. There was a great park/play structure for the kids to play on behind the hotel. The morning breakfast was so filling and fresh. The made to order omelets were so good, the varity of food was nice, especially since our stay was long not eating the same thing over and over was good. The evening reception also an added bonus, most nights we were able to eat this as our dinner, again the variety of food options were good. They also offered free beer on tap and soft drinks, perfect way to wind down from a busy day.

We look forward to our next trip to Santa Clara and we will book our stay there again!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor facing the major road, never heard any traffic noise, the halls were always...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3.2 km away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Santa Clara
2.9 km away
Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to HYATT House Santa Clara? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK