“nothing special”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 November 2017

This restaurant was recommended to us as an informal authentic Italian trattoria. That was enough to make us try it. We dined there and found the food disappointing. We had looked forward to trying the home-made pasta dishes however none of those dishes fit our dietary restrictions -- they were either made with meat (which we don't eat) or had creamy sauces. It would be a good idea for the restaurant to expand on the types of sauces for these pastas. Instead, we ordered the whole branzino -- it was nothing special. The special starter salad was okay -- but nothing exciting -- arugula with gorgonzola, and pomegranates. For me, a good Italian restaurant begins with great crusty Italian bread to enjoy with wine before the meal actually begins. The bread served at this Trattoria was pathetic - a tiny portion of thinly sliced white bread, truly an embarrassment to good Italian dining. Several reviews have commented on the noise level in the restaurant -- it seems to be a popular spot and there are lots of tables. The only noise we were disturbed by was that of the waiter whose loud voice could be heard at whatever table he was serving. There are several excellent Italian restaurants in Santa Barbara. This one is definitely a notch or two below the competition.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Well, I will preface my comments by saying that our group of six had a fun evening.

Service was quite attentive but not very upbeat. Wine list offers a pretty good selection to choose from.

Caesar salad was good. I tried my wife's pasta and as with mine seemed bland and a little too al dente.

Atmosphere was noisy and boisterous on a Tuesday evening. Difficult to have a conversation without raising our voices above the din.

As there are many choices for good Italian cuisine in town, I doubt that we would return.

1  Thank Waterloonie
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Trattoria Vittoria is a little gem serving truly authentic Italian dishes. Every time I try something here, it becomes my new favorite dish. I end up ordering that same thing for months, until I try something else and discover yet another amazing dish. Whatever you do - order the calamari! IMHO Trattoria Vittoria serves the best calamari I've ever eaten. It's so tender and the coating is very light, yet crispy. If you're ordering pasta, definitely focus on the homemade pastas. Honestly, they are all incredible.My favorite is the ravioli di came. The only dish that I wouldn't order again is the eggplant Parmesan. That's only because I prefer my eggplant sliced thick. You also can't go wrong with any of the main courses, especially the whole branzino. It is grilled whole and then "carved" table side for you.

At lunch time you can order off the regular menu in addition to a lunch menu that offers well-priced sandwiches served with salad or fries. I recommend the torpedo.

They offer a kids pasta for $10, which is a little high, but my kids always liked it. My 9-year-old has graduated to the adult portion of the homemade gnocchi and she can finish the whole bowl, so it's worth it.

True to Italy, the tables are fairly close together and the service is on the slower side. But nothing detracts from the outstanding dining experience.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Highly suggest the calamari with a spicy tomato sauce and the funghi pasta. Fun atmosphere, strong service, great overall experience.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Stopped in here for late night dessert. Loved it. We sat at the bar and our bartender was a friendly and fun guy with excellent wine suggestions. I would definitely stop in here again if ever in the neighborhood.