“Bought coffee beans to take home. Great Dirty Horchata”

Green Star Coffee Espresso Bar
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We stopped in to buy some coffee beans. We were told they had the best in town. I also ordered a Dirty Horchata, which is an iced coffee and horchata drink. Pretty amazing!!

Reviewed 26 July 2017

I run a nonprofit called the Green Stars Project so I was super-excited to see a place called Green Star Coffee listed in Santa Barbara. My project is all about ethical consumerism, so I went there with a little trepidation, hoping that it would not be the kind of place that serves commodity coffee in Styrofoam cups. Thankfully, I had no cause for concern – they live up to their name :-) More on that in the next paragraph… Overall, I tried coffee in several places in SB – Green Star, Handlebar, Helena Avenue Bakery, and the SB Roasting Co. Of the four of them, I thought Green Star had the best overall experience when you combine quality/experience with sustainability/ethics. I had a small Americano – pretty decent at $2.50, considering it contains two shots of organic, fair trade coffee. Nice Americano: not too weak (thanks to the two shots) and nicely roasted (not over-roasted). The barista was super-friendly. Nice seating area outside the public market.

I’m also giving Green Star Coffee 5/5 “green stars” for social and environmental impact, based on these reasons:
• All of their beans are certified organic and Fair Trade. Most of it is also shade-grown (impt for habitats).
• I read that one of their suppliers, a coffee farm in Guatemala, was affected by coffee leaf rust. Green Star agreed to pay them higher prices to get them over the difficult patch. They seem like genuinely good guys.
• It’s one of the few places I’ve come across lately that uses compostable cups. You know regular cups have a plastic lining, right? The vast majority of conventional cups end up in landfill because there’s nothing else to do with them. Green Star’s hot cup lids and cold cups are also compostable.
• Their milk, sugar and agave are all organic. Plant-based milks available too, naturally.
• They are a zero-landfill café. They re-use their own coffee bags and everything else is recyclable or compostable.

Find out more about the other green star thing at Green Stars Project dot org.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I think this staff is obsessed with coffee. After spending a decade going to the usual SB standbys; Starbucks/Coffee Bean/ Peets, I am trying to expand where I spend my (usually comparably-priced) coffee money. After discovering I spend $2000/year on coffee, I came to terms with the fact that a considerable amount of my disposable income is spent on this commodity... why not branch out, take a chance,have a little adventure and support the local community. With the boom in coffee options in SB- as well as most American cities-I try to visit new locations each time I visit. For atmosphere, quality and knowledge, Green Star is among the top 3, and there are some seriously great options.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Swung by this cute little booth in the Santa Barbara Public Market for an afternoon caffeine jolt and I instantly fell in love. Was it the super smooth and rich espresso I was served? Was it the funky vibe of the place? Was it the friendly hipster barista that complimented me on my Wes Anderson t-shirt? Check "yes" to all of the above!

I really adored the fun logo and the fact that this is a 100% local place -- seriously as local as it gets. The shop itself occupies a small area, but there is plenty of seating to sit and chill. The coffee ain't cheap (nearly $4 for a cappuccino), but the quality is super high. Everything is organic too, which is something that I suppose most locals demand. Great place to grab a cuppa!

Reviewed 10 May 2016

This place is run by a guy who masterminded a coffee exhibit at the SB Natural History Museum some years back shortly after he opened his local roasting operation. A large room all about coffee: history, types, growing, processing, brewing. There were lectures. We attended 3. We learned enough to become coffee snobs. We are pretty much spoiled now on Dan's product. As a local reporter says "Coffee, coffee, coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Everybody SHUT UP! Coffee."