“Never again!”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
Santa Barbara, California
“Never again!”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I am a local and had my In Laws in for the week. I put them up at OYCI. It was smelly and unkept.
I have met the Inn Keeper or his wife. My In Laws only stayed 1 night but the next day was filled with complaints and unhappiness. I went to get the luggage for them and I was was expecting to find that they had exaderated the situation. From the Bed to the Shower was Not a $200 a night room or Inn. I was not impressed with talking to Eileen, she was flippent and kurt. Then I heard her talking very poorly to whomever was in the kitchen at the time. It was like a visit to my Rude aunts house when I was young. Proffessionalism, Pride, and courtesy...Is what I am looking for this time around.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Robert L
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
We were quite perplexed by your review as were not made aware at the time that anyone was unhappy. We would have made any arrangements possible to make the stay more enjoyable or would have discussed cancellation options with you. We are sorry for the disappointment. Our staff is much improved since the time of your stay, we have a wonderful group of on-site Innkeepers who are available throughout the day, know Santa Barbara well and understand what hospitality means. We are constantly seeking improvements and a top notch experience for our guests. We have also updated and upgraded many of the rooms, amenities and property in general. Thank you for the feedback and we apologize for your less than top notch experience.
-The Innkeepers
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I had read mixed reviews of this property, but decided to give it a go anyway. I thought the innkeepers were pleasant and didn't have any issues with them not being available. Breakfast was fine and served as people arrived. I didn't make the afternoon wine, so can't comment about that. There is a shuttle to the wharf and downtown only a couple of blocks away and parking was adequate and available. I stayed in both the Bella Caruso room and the Beach House room. The Bella Caruso room was not what was pictured and described on their website when you click on the link for further information regarding the room. The french doors from the room open to the kitchen and then to the deck as described on the main page. The kitchen has a fridge, microwave, and stove, but not much in the way of anything to cook with, (no spatulas, few dishes, etc.) though there were some pans. The Beach House room occupies the top floor of the other property. The "private" bathroom is across the top of the stairway from the master bedroom and is shared with the other rooms. There is some type of office/storage in the house as well. Would be fine for a family or group, but not intimate. However, the master bedroom was nice. There is no fridge in this room.
The location was a little off the beaten path and I probably wouldn't stay here again for the price, as I paid the top of the price bracket and felt that was high for what you get.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Readytogotoo
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Glad you found our innkeepers pleasant and available but sorry you missed our afternoon wine social. The photo of of our Belle Caruso Room is exactly as pictured on our website and I'm wondering if you may have seen it on another website while you were browsing the internet. The private bathroom for the Beach House Suite is only for the guests occupying the Beach House Suite. It is situated in the private hallway for the guests occupying the 3 bedroom suite. You are correct, it is generally reserved by a family or group. It's not a small intimate room for a couple.. None of our rooms have fridge's, only the Belle Caruso Room, as you point. We do have a fridge in the dining room for our guests to use. "Off the Beaten Path?" I don't think so. Our location is the finest Santa Barbara has to offer. A block from the beach, walking distance to shops, restaurants with breathtaking ocean views, walk to the pier, bird refute, the Urban Walking Wine Trail, the Natural Habitat Zoo, the bike path a block away. The "Beaten Path" is right outside the door of the Old Yacht Club Inn and is what almost every reviewer raves about. This is location, location, location!
Arizona
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This was our first experience at a B & B. Everybody was extremely sweet and helpful. The food was excellent and meeting other people from different places was very enjoyable. The Old Yacht Club Inn just needs a bit of TLC to make it into a very special and grand place to stay. As it stands, it just appears tired and old.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see pictures of the rooms or, if you have the time, visit the inn prior to your stay an...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ninonote
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for this fine compliment...."A nice home away from home!". Since this was your first experience at a B & B we're so happy that you found the staff to be extremely sweet and helpful, and our food to be excellent.food was excellent We've been landscaping, updating, etc!!! Constantly at it. Glad you had such a good time meeting people and staying with us. Hope you come back soon and thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We just completed a 3 night stay and our overall opinion is that we would not probably stay their again-visit Santa Barbara at least 2 times/year.The reasons as follows:
Room needed repair, upon arriving, sink faucet leaked all over the vanity top, ceiling light did not work, light in bath was not working, musty smell in bathroom, no dresser for clothes, only a standup unit to hang shirts, pants, etc, no drawers, one nightstand, no reading light. Day 2, lights repaired but not leak. Day 3, housekeeping missed us completely, beds not made, trash not removed, not cleaned, talked to on site inn keeper, just got a well, it is Saturday after 6, not much I can do -or words to that effect. Also, I was told by I believe one of the owners,earlier the reason my sink was not repaired was they needed to call a plumber, so, why not call for the guest,Inn keepers do not live on site and are gone a lot, signs posted on front door. Unusual for a B&B in my experiences.Must be at least 5 who act as such.

Food was very good, and served hot. The entertaining area of the house could be upgraded, realize it is 100 years old, but it was very dark and dreary-beautiful sunny days outside. Also, no books to read except very old travel guides-TV, Very limited stations.

This information was sent to the Inn keeper/owner 3 days ago, I awaited an answer but as of this writing no response to my concerns.I mentioned I would review if no response and no has been forthcoming. I mention this as there was a rebuttal from the owner stating they were not contacted prior to the review for another lodger, not in this case however.

Room Tip: No A/C first floor may be cooler-parking can be a challenge if you get in late
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank westernpaul
You were so right about your guest room needing a bureau. We took your advice and added one in addition to the armoire and added an additional reading light as well Thank you for pointing this out for us. Since the "Do Not Disturb" sign had been on your door, the housekeepers did not clean your room. They are very respectful to not disturb guests who have the "Do not Disturb" sign posted. We do live on site, not sure why you think we do not. The signs posted on the front door have our cell phone numbers and inform guests what time Innkeepers will return if we are out running errands to pick up food, flowers, supplies, etc .

We are happy that you thought our food was very good, and served hot. We prepare home made breakfasts from scratch each morning. The Mission Craftsman style of the home has dark beams in the living room and hardwood floors as pictured on our website. We have no plans to "update" the look at this time. The structure of the home is well insulated and adding skylights to allow more light would accomplish one thing but ruin more than it would add. We do collect all of the old travel guides that we've been featured in. We've been written up so much over the years and featured on the Travel Channel as well. Just can't let those things go. Worked too hard to get there. We're not really known for our library and don't advertise even having one but there are about 3 bookshelves full of books in the living room in addition to travel guides and a basket full of board games and puzzles for guests to borrow. There isn't really space for more books than we have in addition to the books there are lots of magazines and the local Independent Newspaper provided for guests as well in addition to the free wi-fi.
Thank you for your input. We value it and used it to make some of the changes that you had suggested.
Ventura, California
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Be careful. Inn Keeper is not honest. I purchased a Living Social deal for two nights and she ended up charging me an additional amount EQUAL to the amount I had already paid. Then when my husband had a very serious accident requiring him to be transferred to Trauma Center she refused to return any of my 3 messages or 6 phone calls which were placed 24 hours in advance. Later she emailed me to say she would not cancel the reservation. Absolutely not one ounce of compassion or even mention of "i'm sorry" There are MANY great hotels in SB this is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Christi C
, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Unfortunately, you did not contact me for an explanation and didn't
wait for me to respond to you before you went public about why we are
unable to offer you a refund and or complimentary stay at our Bed and
Breakfast at another time due to the cancellation of your reservation
on the night before your scheduled arrival.

If you had waited until you heard back from me, things would have been
much clearer to you, and I doubt that you would have posted and told
your friends in the media what you did.

While your situation is very unfortunate, it is something that we in
the lodging industry face every day. Each night, our rooms are an
irreplaceable inventory -- once that night passes and the room isn't
sold, that potential revenue is lost to us forever. That is exactly
why hotels and inns have cancellation policies. For a hotel to
guarantee that it will keep a room available
for a guest regardless of the circumstances, the hotel charges for the
room in advance and informs the guest that if for any reason the guest
will not use the room, it needs to notify the hotel within a specified
period of time. That allows the hotel an opportunity to resell the
room. If a guest doesn't cancel far enough in advance of the time of
arrival, the hotel will almost always lose the revenue from the rooms.

That is why we, like virtually every lodging establishment, inform our
guests about our cancellation policy and confirm that the guest
understands and agrees to that policy. In our case, we also advise
our guests in our e-mail confirmation letters that they should inquire
about the very inexpensive "lodging protection" insurance that is
available. We did this with you, and you decided not to do so.

Emergencies in life do arise and they are emotionally and financially
tragic, however we should not have to take money out of our pocket.
When you cancelled at the last minute, there was no way for us to
resell the room: that's why we obtained payment in advance and
they agreed to our cancellation policy.

Your suggestion that everything will be "even" if we just give you a
free stay, shows a lack of understanding of the economics of the
lodging industry. The future nights that you might choose to us also
represent sellable inventory to us, and if we give the nights to you
for free, we will lose that income. The net result is that we have
sold you two set of nights but only received payment for one.

This is why hotels have cancellation policies, make them public and
enforce them in this industry. The product we are selling has been
sold and we do not have the opportunity to resell it.

Again, It is too bad that there had been an accident, but we should
not have to pay for it. In fact, you are now trying to cancel the
payment you already gave to us, denying payment to your credit card
company. A simple dialogue about this could have avoided all of this
extra time and money for all of us. We could have rebooked you for a
small fee of $35 or somthing, but instead of working with us, you
blasted us publically. I expect that you will publicly set the record
straight on Facebook and wherever else you have posted your one-sided
version of the situation.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels