All reviews wine and cheese bagels state street continental breakfast courtyard room cute place half block ceiling fan small breakfast within walking distance short walk to the beach very nice stay free parking few blocks small hotel restaurants and shops west beach
Reviewed 1 September 2016

I thought this hotel was really cute, but I understand it's not for everyone.

It's not in the style of a typical hotel -- the rooms are more like separate little cottages reminiscent of baby condos.

It's a bit pricey for what it is, but hotels in SB aren't cheap.

Pros:
- Great location. Half a block from the beach, and about a 5-10 minute walk to the pier and great shopping/dining on State St.
- Free wine and cheese at social hour (nice to enjoy by the outdoor fire pit)
- clean rooms and grounds
- quiet neighborhood
- Dan at the front desk was awesome and knowledgeable

Neutral:
-No A/C. Honestly I thought this was going to be a huge issue because I sweat easily, but it really wasn't bad. Open windows and a ceiling fan combined with the mild night temperatures in Santa Barbara made it more than bearable. (this seems to be common with SB hotels)
- It's pet friendly, which is cool.....thankfully the pups near me were quiet.

Cons:
- The parking situation. There's about 4 spots on the property, and even if you're lucky to get one you probably won't want to park in it. They are located under the building and are super tight. Even if you can make it in without scratching your car on the walls, you'll have about half an inch of space in which to exit. The rest is street parking, but be careful of all the regulations. I was easily able to find a spot, but this was on weekdays. (this seems to be an issue with a lot of hotels in the area)
- The rooms are TINY and have weird lighting
- There is no front desk person 24hrs, so if you need something after hours there's a phone# you have to call....not really sure how that works.

Overall I'd go back, but try to get a larger room

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2016

Locals in Santa Barbara, we needed to find a hotel/motel for two nights while our house was being fumigated. We happened upon Casa Del Mar and found it to be absolutely perfect for us and our dog. The room is nicely decorated, good bed, large bathroom, we had a corner room which had ventilation on three sides, and most of all the staff is friendly, accommodating and most helpful. The price is wonderful with little perks all along the way. We highly recommend it to anyone - especially those with a dog.

Room Tip: Room 25 was terrific.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Joan R
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

It is a lovely place very close to the beach. Very clean. They have limited parking on the premise but parking on the street is available. Rooms are a bit pricey for what you get. For a B and B the breakfast is very simple. A few cereals, bagels, jam, philadelphia, pastry and juice. This is more like a motel than a b and b. The best part is the front desk. The staff is absolutely lovely. We got a parking ticket on the street, though parking was legal. The receptionist really helped us figuring out the reason. Such helpful staff. I would go again because I guess the price is just what to be expected for Santa Barbara.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We decided to swing through Santa Barbara on our way back from a very hot few days in Yosemite. We weren't quite sure we'd find a place to stay at a reasonable price without a prior reservation, however CDM hit the mark and then some.

We called around to a few different Inns in the area, and most were fully booked, too expensive, or not very helpful. CDM won us over with the very friendly gentleman who answered the phone and walked us through the options he had available. We decided instantly to book with him, as his price was reasonable (for the area), his location was very good, the room and services sounded nice, and more than anything - his welcoming and helpful tone won us over.

We booked into a nicely sized king room connected to the main courtyard. The bed was very comfortable, and the room had plenty of space for my wife and I, plus a small portable bassinet for our wee one. The TV/sitting area was a nice touch, as well as the wet bar area, fridge, microwave, and nicely sized closet. The bathroom was a bit dated, but it served it's purpose with no issues. The in-room fireplace would have been nice to use had we been there in the winter. The Inn does feature Wi-Fi, however we never used it, so can't comment on it's quality.

The afternoon wine and cheese was a nice touch following a long day of driving. The breakfast offering met the expectation of a continental. The beautiful courtyard was a nice place to sit and relax, and although we did not ask to use it, the patio fire pit looked like a nice touch for evening relaxation.

The neighborhood is a mix of other Inns and residential. It has a very safe feel to it, and we didn't have any concerns about walking around the area at night. It's about a 10 minute walk to the foot of State Street, and the water is only a block away. Many food/drink options within walking distance.

The mark downs were due to facilities and include: air conditioning, parking, and small blips such as a few cob webs and blown bulbs (one of which would have lit up the dark door entry area which features a step). The place doesn't have A/C, simple as that. However all of the windows open, and they do have ceiling fans, so there is some air circulation. Just don't count on much privacy from noises/sounds if you have your windows open all night. Our room stayed pretty warm overnight after a hot day, so the ceiling fan was key. Parking is a bit of a pain, as they don't have enough dedicated spaces to match their room count. They do offer several covered spaces behind the hotel which feature nighttime lighting for safety and high visibility. There is also a lot of street parking, but beware, as it seems each half-block has a different set of parking rules, so read the signs VERY carefully to avoid tickets.

Overall we enjoyed the beautiful Spanish style Inn, and while it lacks a couple creature comforts, the very friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and location are easily enough to have us check this place for availability the next time we're in town.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris P
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

First of all, like most accommodation on the Californian coast in the Summer, it's ridiculously overpriced...

But, that aside the place is spotless, there's parking on the street right outside (and a few places undercover but not garaged) and it's quiet.

There's no air con that I could discover but my room was fine with fan.

The breakfast is 'meh' - a pump of black coffee and bagels/Danish pastries. But apparently that's quite generous for a hotel around here.

It felt very safe and I also felt safe walking around the area after dark.

I booked a "King" so I could get a balcony but it's bit of a swizz because only one of two rooms on each balcony has space for chairs outside so make sure you ask for that side!

Overall it was fine if pretty underwhelming for the price, but that does seem to be standard for hotels on the coast it seems. I guess you have to be at the $500 a night range to get anything special around here, which is bonkers. And I'm from London...

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo