1,187 results
All reviewsrooftop poolfinch and forkfour poster bedstate streetwine hourdowntown santa barbaracomplimentary winebeautiful hotelcorner roomvalet staffhardwood floorsupgraded to a suiteour honeymoonhot tubshops and restaurantsmorning coffeeturn down service
Reviewed 7 February 2018

Excellent location. First class service, the facilities are also excellent with a friendly atmospheric bar. Great roof-top pool.
Friendly and very efficient staff.
The rooms are well-appointed and meticulously clean. I will certainly return

Stayed: February 2018
CanaryGM-RParker, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

773Gareth,
Many thanks for your compliments and for staying with us in the beautiful American Riviera right in the middle of downtown. Please let me know when you return, I'd love to meet you and help make your visit extra special.
Cheers,

Reviewed 5 February 2018

What a nice place! From the moment I walked in, staff were courteous and accommodating. Good-sized and comfortable room, spotlessly clean. Public areas great, including amazing rooftop and very good Finch & Fork restaurant. My only possible complaint would be the $35/night valet-only parking, but that's more a function of the location, so I'm going to give them a pass on this one. Looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
CanaryGM-RParker, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Thanks Phil, we really enjoyed having you join us. I really appreciate it too- the compliments about the team here will be received graciously by each and every one of them who contributed to a great experience. It's great motivation, thanks for sharing.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

You can’t beat the convenient downtown location, within walking distance of so many great restaurants, shops and attractions. The building is architecturally gorgeous and the rooms, though small, are well appointed, modern and cool. Ours had a canopy bed and wood floors. Expect to be welcomed upon arrival with a glass of wine (nice touch!) upon check in. The beautiful lobby softly throbs with sexy electronic music giving it a cool-club kinda feel. A bonus is the amazing rooftop pool with 360 city, mountain and ocean views, plus an outdoor fireplace and lots of seating. There’s also a teeny tiny (and I mean TINY) hot tub but when I was there it was barely lukewarm (a huge disappointment). It’s a shame also that it’s so crazy tiny. It’s such a gorgeous rooftop setting that it’s nuts that they’d install such a minuscule hot tub (there’s only room for 2 people without it feeling a little weird). The valet parking here is pricey ($35) but you can self park next door in a public lot for just $20 (24 hours), so save money and do that. Every night from 5-6 pm there’s a wine hour in the lobby with complimentary appetizers. There’s also a popular bar/restaurant right there off the lobby (Finch & Fork). The bar was steadily busy in the evenings, particularly in that post-work happy hour time. I highly recommend the Kimpton Canary. Very pleasant stay and professional staff. I will be back!
P.S. You can bring your dog here. Dogs are very welcome to stay with you and you will see them hanging around a lot. We loved that.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heidi B
CanaryGM-RParker, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Heidi,
Thanks so much for the compliments about our great location, charming residential feeling in the guest rooms and stunning rooftop. We really appreciate it, and I'm so glad you also enjoyed Finch & Fork, a community favorite.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

My husband and I just finished an unexpected week long stay at the Canary Hotel. There were many positive aspects to our visit. The staff were all unfailingly friendly and helpful. The location is great - central and yet surprisingly quiet! The public spaces and rooms are very attractively decorated. The rooftop terrace is wonderful. It is separated into two areas: an upper area with a small shallow pool and a hot tub, where families with children tended to congregate (there weren’t very many), and a lower area with comfortable seating arrangements. There’s piped in music and you can order food and drink from room service.
On the less positive side, the rooms are very small and dark (although we had a suite - because it was the last room type available - which was much more comfortable, still not huge by any means). The only really unfortunate experience we had concerned the billing at checkout. We were part of the large group from Montecito which had to evacuate due to mudslides and, after we checked in, a front desk person volunteered that we would be getting a 20 percent discount and he would make a note of it on the computer. When we checked out there was no note of the offered discount and we were informed that the hotel would not honor it. After discussing it with the manager, we were given $400 off of our $5100.00 bill. The experience left us with less warm feelings about the hotel. In fairness, there was no written record of the offer and when I later saw a (very long) list of Santa Barbara hotels offering specials to the evacuees, the Canary was not part of the list. With all the terrific support that has been given to the people affected by the tragic events in Montecito by so many people and businesses in Santa Barbara, its too bad that the Canary couldn’t be part of that effort.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank rcudahy

Rcudahy,
Thank you for your feedback, and we're very sorry about the experience you and so many others have had this winter with the fires and mudslides. Just terrible. It's been quite the experience for sure.
I really appreciate your feedback. We do. I too saw that list of hotels offering discounts, many of which immediately sold out as soon as they we're posted. We did do a number of things to help which many have appreciated, from delivering meals to Red Cross and the Fire Department, to hosting a very successful fundraiser on our rooftop for United Way of SB County that gave directly to the Thomas Fire/Flood fund and by offering firemen discounts in Finch & Fork and trying to get the word out about our evacuee discounts when applicable at booking.
There was so much happening at once, our first priority was providing a safe, comfortable and empathetic stay to the many like yourself (and some of our Canary/Finch family) whom suddenly found themselves in this situation.
Feel free to reach out if you'd like, and we hope you are on the path of recovery and return to normalcy, slowly but surely.
All our best,

Reviewed 10 January 2018

Beautiful lobby. Lovely rooftop with amazing view, fire place and pool. Attentive and friendly valet staff. The room was nice but quite noisy. It was a 2nd floor room situated above an alley. Monday morning at 6 am trash trucks began servicing dumpsters. The hotel appeared to have quite a lot of vacancies on the Sunday of my single night stay. I didn’t encounter a single other guest on the 2nd floor or in the elevators. Similarly I had the rooftop to myself. I wonder if there was another vacant room they could have placed me in that would have been a bit quiter. Also found the bed to be quite firm, which hindered my sleep. For the cost of my room, I was a bit disappointed.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan S

Susan,
First and foremost thank you for the compliments about the rooftop view and lovely lobby, as well as regarding the genuinely caring team we get to work with here. I'm so sorry you had some morning noise from the folks from the waste removal company. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can share it with them and work on alleviating that.
I hope you enjoy your next experience in Santa Barbara and we thank you for staying with us.