“Amazingly beautiful experience!”

and up
Kayak Rental
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Paddle Sports Center is Santa Barbara's premier Kayak | SUP | Surf rental, membership, instruction, and tour center. Explore the Santa Barbara waterfront & view sea birds, sea lions, seals, dolphins, and even whales! We provide instruction and comfortable/quality gear. Our rental rates are the best in town and our local guides are extremely knowledgable about the area. We have been serving the local community for over 25 years, and we guarantee that you will have an enjoyable experience.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed 10 September 2015

Never been kayaking, and only snorkeling once, my husband and I chose the EPIC adventure. WOW! From check-in, where we met the chef and our private guide, to disembarking the ferry around 5ish, we had an experience of a lifetime. On our ferry ride out to the island, we saw common dolphins, bottle-nosed dolphins, and a humpback whale! Kayaking was a little adventurous...we capsized in the cave known as "The Washing Machine", but with the skilled guidance from our guide, J.D., we got back in our kayak, and continued to our snorkeling destination. So neat!! On our way back to shore, we were greeted by a cute harbor seal who looked very playful! I would do this trip again in a heartbeat (but maybe skip The Washing Machine cave). :)

1  Thank lynnr499
"garrett"
"ocean"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed 10 September 2015

Everything was taken care of: ferry ticketing, wet suit, kayaking lessons, and some island history. It was so much fun and they were so organized. They provided us with lessons thoroughly and still had us in our wet suits quickly so that our time on the water was the maximum. You need only to be reasonably fit . . don't think you can't do this if you aren't a water (or gym) rat. However, unless, you are fairly strong, I would suggest doing the double . . or if you are with a group of friends . . you can switch off single to double during the day so one person does not have a the work of the single. ;-)

The views were great. I did not invest in making my phone/camera waterproof and secure and regret it, there were so many opportunities to safely take great photos or video. I would recommend buying what you need to so you can secure and waterproof your camera/phone. A hat is great . . make sure it will fit under a helmet! I used a SPF 50 rashguard shirt and a short sleeve wet suit, it was perfect.

The staff was as great as the caves! I can't wait to go back for one of their overnight camp and hike experiences!

Reviewed 8 September 2015

I took my daughter to Santa Cruz Island and used Channel Islands Outfitters for snorkling and kayaking. They were great. Our guide, Matt, really worked hard to make sure our experience was good. I would highly recommend this outfitter.

Reviewed 7 September 2015

The CIO arranged every detail for us from the ferry ride to the kayaking to lunch, to pacing---it is a first class, customer-oriented operation run by people who know and love what they are doing. Our guide, JD - one of the company owners took 4 kayaks - exactly the right number for a guided trip (no crowding) around the island, into caves, gave us history and ecology lessons and even got me back into the kayak when i misjudged a wave and fell overboard (no problem - lots of laughing). Lunch was great, help was all around us, the agenda was loose and gave us plenty of time to enjoy ourselves but there were always staff there to help, guide, talk...these people are better than 5 star.