“Excellent Value Motel”

Ranked #48 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Preston, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value Motel”
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

We had a really good value room, especially considering what was being charged at the hotel next door (almost double after a discount!). The ocean view room (#110) was superb, and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast wasn't our cup of tea but at the price I'd have no complaints. Be aware Santa Barbara is generally a more expensive location, which made this even better value.

Stayed April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I made a reservation online for this motel and within hours regretted it after reading the yelp reviews. I canceled my reservation and received an email confirming it WITH a cancellation number.

Two weeks later, we drove down to Santa Barbara for a nice weekend at a DIFFERENT hotel and Ala Mar Motel called me to confirm a reservation. I again, told them I canceled this and they said "Oh ok ok ok sorry ma'am."

Monday morning back at work and looking at my bank statement - Ala Mar Motel took out $151 for a reservation I canceled 2 WEEKS AGO.

I have yet to hear from the owner - Julianne.

DON'T STAY HERE. DON'T EVEN VISIT THE WEBSITE!!!

Room Tip: Try Pacific Crest Inn
Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel M

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family and I had booked (2) rooms without first reading the reviews. We were horrified as to what was posted, but, we decided to check it out for ourselves. Armando was a gracious young man, very helpful and friendly. He let us see the rooms prior to us checking in. The rooms were very clean and of course the first thing we did was to check for bed bugs. We didn't find a single creature lurking around. The motel is not a fancy place, but each room is very quaint and has it's own rustic look to it. The housekeeping lady was very friendly and accomodated us with more towels as requested. Now if you are used to staying at the Biltmore or any other higher end hotel, this place will not work for you. If you are looking for a view of the beach, which is directly across the street, clean rooms and a friendly atmosphere then this is the place to stay, It is also walking distance to State Street where there are many shops, bars and restaurants. My family and I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We have stayed here several times and we love it! We usually stay in room #110. It's not new, but it has alot of character with it's own balcony to view the ocean. We stay here because it's affordable and you can walk to anywhere. We've stayed in some of the higher-end hotels in the area, but nothing compared to the beach atmosphere the Ala Mar provides.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 8 November 2011

***BED BUGS ALERT---STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE****.We stayed on 11/5/11. I chose this place for it's location and the pics on the internet didn't look too bad. I also paid over $250 for this room thinking, "you get what you pay for" NOT!(considering $250 is pretty expensive for one night).Anyhow, staff was friendly, motel looked miniature AND be aware of the BED BUGS. We were laying in our beds getting ready to sleep when I saw a reddish brown looking bug crawling on my daughters pillow half the size of my pinky finger. So... I flicked it off the pillow and didn't really think much about it (of course not realizing what it was). Well the following day i saw 3 more on the same bed, same size, and same color. I got concerned so I checked the other beds. The twin was crawling with smaller bed bugs on the white pillow and white sheets They were just crawling all over the bed. I saw about 10 on the pillow and on top of bed sheets. We then called the attendant and he appeared surprised as if the bed bug problem was new. THE BUGS I saw where huge and from what I've read an adult bed bug is 1/4 of an inch big and are reddish brown when they have finished sucking your blood or just brown. Those are what I saw on the queen bed which meant they have been there for a while just growing and sucking humans blood. Please stay away from this place. Go online and check bed bug reports before booking. Thanks for reading this review.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family