“Nice location (previously underated)”
Review of Ala Mar Motel

Ala Mar Motel
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family and I had booked (2) rooms without first reading the reviews. We were horrified as to what was posted, but, we decided to check it out for ourselves. Armando was a gracious young man, very helpful and friendly. He let us see the rooms prior to us checking in. The rooms were very clean and of course the first thing we did was to check for bed bugs. We didn't find a single creature lurking around. The motel is not a fancy place, but each room is very quaint and has it's own rustic look to it. The housekeeping lady was very friendly and accomodated us with more towels as requested. Now if you are used to staying at the Biltmore or any other higher end hotel, this place will not work for you. If you are looking for a view of the beach, which is directly across the street, clean rooms and a friendly atmosphere then this is the place to stay, It is also walking distance to State Street where there are many shops, bars and restaurants. My family and I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Ala Mar Motel

Reviewed 1 February 2012

We have stayed here several times and we love it! We usually stay in room #110. It's not new, but it has alot of character with it's own balcony to view the ocean. We stay here because it's affordable and you can walk to anywhere. We've stayed in some of the higher-end hotels in the area, but nothing compared to the beach atmosphere the Ala Mar provides.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2011

***BED BUGS ALERT---STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE****.We stayed on 11/5/11. I chose this place for it's location and the pics on the internet didn't look too bad. I also paid over $250 for this room thinking, "you get what you pay for" NOT!(considering $250 is pretty expensive for one night).Anyhow, staff was friendly, motel looked miniature AND be aware of the BED BUGS. We were laying in our beds getting ready to sleep when I saw a reddish brown looking bug crawling on my daughters pillow half the size of my pinky finger. So... I flicked it off the pillow and didn't really think much about it (of course not realizing what it was). Well the following day i saw 3 more on the same bed, same size, and same color. I got concerned so I checked the other beds. The twin was crawling with smaller bed bugs on the white pillow and white sheets They were just crawling all over the bed. I saw about 10 on the pillow and on top of bed sheets. We then called the attendant and he appeared surprised as if the bed bug problem was new. THE BUGS I saw where huge and from what I've read an adult bed bug is 1/4 of an inch big and are reddish brown when they have finished sucking your blood or just brown. Those are what I saw on the queen bed which meant they have been there for a while just growing and sucking humans blood. Please stay away from this place. Go online and check bed bug reports before booking. Thanks for reading this review.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank jona11_11
Reviewed 6 October 2011

On our trip to Southern California, we left a couple days free to explore the area. Without knowing where we were going, we headed out on the Pacific Coast highway and decided to stay a night in Santa Barbara, so we chose this hotel without checking on TripAdvisor first. We hadn't made previous reservations and we were just happy to find a room for the night, otherwise my rating might be lower.

Location/Check-in: Perfect location, across from the beach a block's walk from Stearn's Wharf, the motel is on the main drag which runs along the shoreline. There was a reason this place had vacancies when a lot of other places didn't. Check in was fast, but they were slightly vague about where we should park (parking lot was full) and the room wasn't what we asked for. Dinner and drinks at Moby Dick's (fairly good but not cheap) on the wharf meant no need to drive. Breakfast at Esau's Cafe (a short drive away) was recommended by the staff in the morning at check out and that was a fantastic bit of advice.

Room/Amenities: Room was rough, but not completely without charm; I requested a quiet room with a King bed. What we got was a quiet 2nd floor room with a Queen bed tucked away around the back of the hotel, 121 if memory serves correct. It was decorated with a sort of grandma-shabby-beach-chic quality; cute floral painted trunk, a massive white bedframe and pink satin bedspread. The mattress pad on the bed was loose so every time I shifted, it bunched up under me. Not the best sleep unfortunately. Big, tiled bathroom with a old yellowing jacuzzi tub that I wouldn't be able to soak in confidently, but the shower had good pressure. No AC, no alarm clocks, just a TV. The best part of the room was actually the semi-private patio with two bistro tables just outside the door. Ideal for take away meals or writing journals and enjoying the sunset with a beer in hand (there is a decent liquor store a few blocks away at the corner of Castillo & Montecito that carries a few craft brews).

Essentially, it's a good last resort for anyone needing an affordable place to sleep for one night while enjoying the beautiful beach. If you're not the type who can manage expectations or overlook a couple of stains on the chair upholstery, I would definitely not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The only good thing about the hotel is the LOCATION. The staff is RUDE!!! You can't receive incoming call if there no one at the front desk. We would not stay here again. This place SUCKS!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple