“BED BUG INFESTATION, BIG AND small”
Review of Ala Mar Motel

Ala Mar Motel
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 8 November 2011

***BED BUGS ALERT---STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE****.We stayed on 11/5/11. I chose this place for it's location and the pics on the internet didn't look too bad. I also paid over $250 for this room thinking, "you get what you pay for" NOT!(considering $250 is pretty expensive for one night).Anyhow, staff was friendly, motel looked miniature AND be aware of the BED BUGS. We were laying in our beds getting ready to sleep when I saw a reddish brown looking bug crawling on my daughters pillow half the size of my pinky finger. So... I flicked it off the pillow and didn't really think much about it (of course not realizing what it was). Well the following day i saw 3 more on the same bed, same size, and same color. I got concerned so I checked the other beds. The twin was crawling with smaller bed bugs on the white pillow and white sheets They were just crawling all over the bed. I saw about 10 on the pillow and on top of bed sheets. We then called the attendant and he appeared surprised as if the bed bug problem was new. THE BUGS I saw where huge and from what I've read an adult bed bug is 1/4 of an inch big and are reddish brown when they have finished sucking your blood or just brown. Those are what I saw on the queen bed which meant they have been there for a while just growing and sucking humans blood. Please stay away from this place. Go online and check bed bug reports before booking. Thanks for reading this review.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank jona11_11
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Ala Mar Motel

Reviewed 6 October 2011

On our trip to Southern California, we left a couple days free to explore the area. Without knowing where we were going, we headed out on the Pacific Coast highway and decided to stay a night in Santa Barbara, so we chose this hotel without checking on TripAdvisor first. We hadn't made previous reservations and we were just happy to find a room for the night, otherwise my rating might be lower.

Location/Check-in: Perfect location, across from the beach a block's walk from Stearn's Wharf, the motel is on the main drag which runs along the shoreline. There was a reason this place had vacancies when a lot of other places didn't. Check in was fast, but they were slightly vague about where we should park (parking lot was full) and the room wasn't what we asked for. Dinner and drinks at Moby Dick's (fairly good but not cheap) on the wharf meant no need to drive. Breakfast at Esau's Cafe (a short drive away) was recommended by the staff in the morning at check out and that was a fantastic bit of advice.

Room/Amenities: Room was rough, but not completely without charm; I requested a quiet room with a King bed. What we got was a quiet 2nd floor room with a Queen bed tucked away around the back of the hotel, 121 if memory serves correct. It was decorated with a sort of grandma-shabby-beach-chic quality; cute floral painted trunk, a massive white bedframe and pink satin bedspread. The mattress pad on the bed was loose so every time I shifted, it bunched up under me. Not the best sleep unfortunately. Big, tiled bathroom with a old yellowing jacuzzi tub that I wouldn't be able to soak in confidently, but the shower had good pressure. No AC, no alarm clocks, just a TV. The best part of the room was actually the semi-private patio with two bistro tables just outside the door. Ideal for take away meals or writing journals and enjoying the sunset with a beer in hand (there is a decent liquor store a few blocks away at the corner of Castillo & Montecito that carries a few craft brews).

Essentially, it's a good last resort for anyone needing an affordable place to sleep for one night while enjoying the beautiful beach. If you're not the type who can manage expectations or overlook a couple of stains on the chair upholstery, I would definitely not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The only good thing about the hotel is the LOCATION. The staff is RUDE!!! You can't receive incoming call if there no one at the front desk. We would not stay here again. This place SUCKS!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pat s
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This place is a dump. We were put in a room with no windows...really, no windows except for one the size of a shoe box behind the bed. There was no air conditioning and it was a hot summer evening. The room fit the double bed and a small desk - very claustrophobic. Shower and toilet were filthy. Rips in the duvet material. Then, drunk people in the room underneath us began yelling at 2 am, so did not sleep much. We would have closed the little shoebox window if there was another source of air in the room. We requested another room the next day (the clerk leaves at 10pm, so no one was on the premises for help until the morning). The second room was better in comparison to the hell of the previous night - had sliding doors and a king bed, but the state of the room was just dismal. There was a towel plugging up a hole in the bathroom wall, and missing awning on the furniture. This place is nightmare. And it was expensive as hell to boot. What a waste of money. I thought the person on the phone was booking me for Casa Del Mar, which is supposed to be good, right next door, and the same price. I would recommend moving right along and not thinking twice about this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Balamena
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The hotel is certainly not luxurious, but it was clean, the staff were friendly and it is in an unbeatable llocation. Santa Barbara hotels are notoriously expensive, so we feel like we got a pretty good deal considering. We booked it before we looked at trip advisor, and, after reading the reviews on here we set our expectations low, but we ended up being pleasantly suprised!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple