Montecito Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Inn At East Beach(Santa Barbara)
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Average 3/5
Pacific Crest Hotel(Santa Barbara)
Excellent 5/5
Good 3.5/5
Santa Barbara Inn(Santa Barbara)
  • Breakfast included
Blue Sands Inn(Santa Barbara)
1,131 results
All reviewscharlie chaplintower suitebutterfly beachhonor barcharming hotelcoast village roadrooms are smallcontinental breakfastcomplimentary bikesmountain viewshops and restaurantsceiling fanthe santa barbara areastreet noiseshort walk to the beachbed was very comfortablethe main street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The hotel is an antique lovingly kept, stylishly presented. I'd been told when making the reservation that there was a "very good chance" for an upgrade to a suite. I arrived so hopeful for that. My husband is recovering from a hip fracture and a nice room with a view for him was very important to me. Ten women arriving together, checking in seperately moments ahead of me put an end to all that. By the time my turn came with the single desk clerk doing check ins, he looked at me like I was crazy for asking about a suite. He said I'd been upgraded, to a king bed. I said that's nice but I paid for that upgrade and explained briefly that my husband was handicapped. Our room, finally arranged, was near the elevator. The view was of a fence, the hotel roof and other rooms. It had no air conditioning and the proximity to the 101 could not be ignored. The elevator is, according to a tour guide, the oldest still operational in CA. Getting my husband with his cane in was a challenge but the ride was kind of fun.

The valet staff was great. They were as warm and friendly as the front desk staff was not. We tried several of their recommendations for restaurants in Santa Barbara and were never disappointed. Dinner in the Montecito Cafe was good, but the free breakfast was strictly continental. We never bothered with it. The free beach bikes were always locked up so they were pretty useless also. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor, might get a view there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Fab place, lovely staff and rooms!
On hearing it was our honeymoon we were given a complimentary bottle of local wine. The Hotel restaurant was lovely, my guide book said try the coconut cake, it was right- delicious! Hire the free bikes and enjoy the ride not town, easy and beautiful!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our family recently stayed at the Montecito Inn for Parents Weekend at a local college. The service by the front desk staff and the valet attendants was perfect. No complaints.

As for the comment of snobs - we didn't see it. I watched the valets and front desk staff treat everyone fairly - from the BMWs and Jaguars that arrived to the (less expensive cars which I won't name). All were treated with great courtesy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank coffeemama6
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The Montecito Inn is useful to know about because it is a nice, clean, stylish hotel on the charming, upscale Lower Coast road of Montecito, about 10 minutes from State Street and the beach.

The hotel is well managed, clean and comfortable but is not a luxury hotel. Because it is an older hotel the rooms are smaller and the bathrooms are cramped. There is no air conditioning in the average room. There is a minibar with a refrigerator in each room. In my opinion, it is located too far from the beach to use as a beach hotel.

The front rooms overlook the street and offer a mountain view along with some traffic noise. There is no other view. The back rooms over look a roof and the neighborhood; one side overlooks a street and another the buildings next door.

There is not much interior public space but there is a pool area where people like to congregate in good weather. Space around the lobby fireplace is mostly taken by diners waiting for the Montecito Café known for very good food at reasonable prices. There is also a nice bar.

There is a rickety old elevator, which may annoy some people that I found charming.

Breakfast is provided by the hotel and included in the room rate but it is a very poor continental affair, perhaps the worse such breakfast I have had. Valet parking is indoor. The hotel is said to have been built in 1928 by Charlie Chaplin the silent and sound movie comedian.

Occasionally there are very good rates which is why it should be remembered. We would stay there again but it would not be our first choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank voxpopla
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed a night in this hotel for business. Great character and interesting history, nice period furnishings, comfortable bed, very quiet ceiling fan that helped to circulate air in the room, and very good complimentary breakfast. Downside is no convenient plug to power up your devices (only found one free plug in the whole room, except for a plug in the tiny bathroom). Also in my third floor tiny bathroom that faced the street, the shower window was only frosted halfway up, so I could see people out the window across the street when I was showering which meant they could see me (my shoulders and head anyway) lathering up. Turned off the bathroom lights and showered in the semi dark for some privacy. Also due to bad acoustics of the historic hotel, the road noise was considerable as were the intimate sounds coming from the couple in the room next to me.... I'd stay in this hotel again though, but would take some earplugs next time!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business