“I'll be back”

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I'll be back”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I'm late in writing this review but...I was a guest at the Upham in early Nov 2011. I was by myself and stayed in a charming one room cottage. It was a comfortable room for one, but would have accommodated two. The grounds were lovely and the central garden inviting, so I enjoyed breakfast on the Inn porch each morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I'm not a big eater, so I found the continental style breakfast more than satisfying. All the food groups were offered and I appreciated that there was fruit available all day. Though I didn't partake of the afternoon wine and cheese, due to various other commitments, I did note that it was a nice offering. The proximity of the Inn to the central downtown area made playing tourist very easy.

If you prefer the impersonal modernity of a Hilton-style hotel, the Upham isn't for you. For me, I'll definitely be staying there again on my next visit to SB.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
Encino, California, United States
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This warm and welcoming small hotel was the perfect retreat for my wife and me with six of our closest friends. The grounds are beautiful and the public rooms were a wonderful place to gather for the included breakfast, for wine and cheese in the late afternoon and for games in the evening. While the rooms (least expensive) were small, it made little difference to us as we just loved the ambience of the overall facility. The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. It was also such a treat to be a short two block walk from State Street, the main drag of Santa Barbara, with an almost endless selection of excellent restaurants and delightful shopping opportunities. I could not recommend this hotel more highly.

Room Tip: We styed in one of the cottages on the grounds. There are also rooms upstairs in the hotel proper.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank David A
Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We just returned from a weekend away at The Upham. The place is very cute. The rooms are small but nice. The innkeepers work hard to give it a rustic feel. They have a breakfast each morning with cold treats, yogurt, fruit, juices, oatmeal and baked goods. The wine reception each night is from 4-7pm and includes red and white wine as well as cheese and crackers.

The Upham is walking distance to State Street - tons of restaurants, shopping and nightlife. We also did the Urban Wine Trail which is about 2 miles from the hotel and highly recommend it for the day.

Room Tip: They do not have water bottles in the vending machine but will provide you with a refillable glass c...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ventura, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We're relatively local and needed a place to stay while we went to a concert. The Darcy Room was perfect for our one evening. It is a clean, updated room. We would have enjoyed the balcony if we had spent another day. The location is excellent and very close to our favorite restaurant, The Hungry Cat. The breakfast buffet was enough for us even though we had ordered the special quiche. Thank you for a wonderful evening!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanMc2012
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The Upham is a lovely hotel built in 1871, and the cozy lobby, parlor, and breakfast areas are a throwback to great-grandma's time. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is only two blocks from State Street and 5 to 10 minutes walking to the Old Santa Barbara attractions. There is plenty of parking on their hotel parking lot.

We had a room upstairs, which required one flight of stairs up, and then several steps down to the room. This room is not suitable for anyone in a wheelchair or someone who has difficulty walking. I don't think there was an elevator to the second floor.

Our suite was adequate for two people. Although the room had obviously been modernized over the years, it was filled with period furniture. Everything was very clean. The room had a small refrigerator and a TV inside a cabinet, and there were windows on two sides of the room, giving it lots of natural light. Interior wood shutters could be closed to block out the light.

The kingsize bed was very comfortable with nice linens, a down cover, and down pillows. Although the pillow case was freshly laundered, I did find my pillow to have a musty smell as if it had been stored in a damp closet.

The bathroom was very clean but small and had an old fashioned claw-foot bathtub with a shower inside it. Taking a shower was a complicated affair and probably not recommended for elderly or disabled people. Also, access to the bathroom was 4 steps up from the bedroom. During the night that we stayed there, the toilet flushed every half hour, keeping my husband awake. We reported this to management the next day, so I assume they have fixed it.

The hotel offers a nice do-it-yourself breakfast of various breads, bagels and muffins, as well as cooked oatmeal, boiled eggs, fruit, juices, coffee and tea. It is better than the usual continental breakfast in some of the other hotels, and will hold you over until lunch time.

The hotel also houses Louie's California Bistro. We did not eat there, so I cannot vouch for the quality. However, our room was right above the restaurant kitchen, and the noise from the kitchen was very noticible until almost 11 p.m.

Pluses: great location, cute hotel, nice grounds, very clean
Minuses: noise from kitchen, relatively expensive; I would have given it 4 stars without the noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the kitchen
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business