“excellent find for a relaxing stay”

The Upham Hotel & Country House
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I had a lovely time at the Upham for 3 nights. the reception was very accommodating and switching rooms (I was jet lagged so wanted somewhere quiet very early in the evening) was absolutely no problem for them. I don't quite understand some of the complaints about the hotel on this site, yes the rooms are a little quaint, and ok the bathrooms could do with an upgrade soon, but everything is very clean and comfortable, and works, the rooms were big enough and the bed was lovely and comfortable and cosy. I guess my only criticism is that the breakfast is limited, just pastries, cereal and toast with a hard boiled egg, but this seems ubiquitous when I travel to the US, hotel breakfasts just aren't so great. never mind, the cookies were a great touch and I can thoroughly recommend this hotel, in an expensive town it is reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

This is a very nice small inn/hotel, located 2 blocks off of State Street (the main drag) and about 1.5 miles from the beach. It is a very lovely, well-landscaped setting with a main building and several smaller units.
There is a restaurant, Louie's, on site. I had lunch and dinner during my visit, and the food was very good, albeit a little pricey. Louie's has a small service bar.
Continental breakfast is provided. This includes bread and muffin baskets (along with butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, and jelly) hard boiled eggs, assorted yogurts, and fruit, along with coffee, tea, milk, and juices.
There is a daily happy hour, featuring some (mediocre) white wine, cheese, and crackers. If you drink red wine, you are out of luck. If you ask for it, you will be encouraged to purchase some from Louie's. My only realy complaint about the Upham is this: It isn't cheap to stay here. Buy some decent wine - white AND red, for crying out loud. My traveling companion, an avid red drinker, felt a little out of sorts over this, since we are all paying the same price to stay, let's equalize the amenities.
In the evening, Oreos and milk are set out.
Units are very quaint, homey, and well-appointed, with nice bed linens and Gilchrist and Soames toiletries. The rooms are NOT modern, but are decorated nicely. Free Wifi is available.
I saw no children on my visit, and would not think this place conducive to them.
On Tuesday afternoon, part of State Street is shut off from traffic and a farmers market holds court. Well worth a walk down for the produce, breads, and cheeses.

Room Tip: Some of the smaller units have little private seating areas. Ask for one of those, or for a room nea...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My girlfriend and I were driving through Santa Barbara on our California vacation and stayed one night at The Upham. We chose this hotel because it looked nice on the website and was reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, we realized shortly after our arrival why it was under $200 a night. The rooms were old and badly in need of upgrades. The bathroom in particular was tiny and me being 6 feet tall, the shower head was positioned right below my chin when I stood in the tub. Yay!

Breakfast was meager and the property in general was void of any character or activity whatsoever.

Nothing went "wrong" with our stay, but on a whole it was rather unimpressive. If I return to Santa Barbara I will likely stay somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JL81
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We booked our reservation months in advance to celebrate our anniversary. We were "sold" on booking our room down the street at their other property called the Country Inn. (not sure what the country meant given there was an auto repair shop right next door in which we listened to the sound of the pneumatic wrench tighten lug nuts all afternoon.) The room appeared to be somewhat worn however we thought that was part of the charm, until we went to bed. The bed was a rock and not to mention every turn or movement acompanied a sound of the bed failing apart! The street noise was horrendous. I'm not one to complain but for the money we paid $265 a night this was nothing like we expected!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank mjremenesk
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I booked this hotel back in January, for a visit in August, and mentioned on the booking that this would be a wedding trip (my fiancée, now wife, and I are from England). Kindly, a member of staff (Elizabeth) offered us a choice of different rooms to stay in, with a description of each one, so that we could select the one that most appealed.

When we arrived at about 1:20pm we knew it would be too early to check in, but we went to reception to let them know we were here and they had our room ready within half an hour, which was great, and also we found that they had put a bottle of sparkling wine and some chocolates in our room as a little something extra for our wedding, which was a really nice touch! We stayed in the Oak room, aka "Garden room", number 32, which had its own (small) private patio. The room itself was spacious, with a good quality bath/shower room. The private patio was a little scrubby and ill-kept, but this is a minor quibble - the room itself was very peaceful, with a pretty view onto the garden when opening the door each morning. There is an iron and ironing board in the closet, useful for pressing shirts for travel-worn guests.

We stayed for five nights and can recommend The Upham without hesitation. It's an old hotel with a certain rustic charm, with the rooms arrayed around a garden area, which is the perfect place to sit back and relax in the sunshine of a Californian evening. The hotel is located in a quiet rural area which is only minutes from the top end of State Street, so the shops and restaurants of that area are within an easy stroll. This is ideal if you want to walk into town and have a bottle of wine with your meal - no worries about driving.

Although it's run separately, there is a restaurant built into the hotel called Louie's, a place of some local renown, and it's definitely worth a look. They have a selection of good local wines and the food, although fairly simple, is of a good quality.

The Upham offers free wine, cheese and crackers, and milk and biscuits for its guests each afternoon/evening, and the breakfasts, included in the room rates, are of the self-service type. Some other reviewers on here have made some negative comments about the breakfasts - if you are expecting a full sit-down hot breakfast you will of course be disappointed, but personally we both like the informality of the Upham breakfasts. There are cereals, yoghurts, fruit, toast, scones, cakes, and fresh tea, coffee and fruit juice, and you can take them out to the garden to sit peacefully.

The staff at the Upham were gracious and accommodating. We have stayed at the Upham before and will definitely be back. It's not the cheapest of hotels, but Santa Barbara is an expensive place to stay, and the convenience offered by the location of the Upham, coupled with the quality of the rooms and service, make it a winner.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple