“The Simpson House Inn” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Laguna Beach
“The Simpson House Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Recently we stayed at the Simpson House Inn.
The staff is excellent. The gardens are lovely.
The food is average.
We were disappointed overall for the price we paid.
Our room was not very bright during the day.
A bright security light came in through the shutters which made sleeping less comfortable.
The sofa and chair needed to have their cushions re-stuffed.
It was a BIG anniversary for us and so we had high expectations of what a $555 (including tax) room per night would be like. When I booked I mentioned it was our Big Anniversary.
We have stayed at several B & B's over the years and had many wonderful experiences.
We will opt for a nice hotel next time we stay in the Santa Barbara area.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs will have more sunlight. Our room was rather dark.
4 Thank C E
simpsonhouseinn121, Manager at Simpson House Inn, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
We truly appreciate our guests who post reviews. Not so glowing reviews keep us on our toes!! It is our opportunity to assess how we can improve each & every guest experience.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

A pristine oasis a short walk to State Street, the Simpson House does it to perfection. Upon arrival, we were greeted by James who introduced us to the hotel and showed us to our room. All the staff members were gracious and accommodating. We stayed in the Parlor room, not our first choice as we booked late, but we found it comfortable and quiet in spite of the location near the stairs. The decorating is pleasant, more William Morris than goopy Victorian, and there is a small seating area overlooking the lovely, serene garden. Our only complaint was the claw foot tub. We are in our fifties and not big fans, finding it difficult to naviagate. There was also a little issue with cool water blasts during showering, but these are minor inconveniences worth the beauty of staying in a grand old historic building. Breakfasts were grand as well. We chose to eat in our room and it was served there by happy staff, on time and warm. The daily starters and breakfast entrees are as good as one would expect. The wine hour can substitute for dinner if one is tired of going out. There were 4 choices of very good wine along with cheeses and canapes. All in all, a great stay in Santa Barbara and now our favorite. It was our second stay and we will return again.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Outstanding Service. Beautiful grounds. We spent 3 nights in the Weathervane Room and enjoyed the wood burning fireplace each evening. This is by far the very best B&B we have ever stayed in. Sitting in the afternoon sun in the gardens with the jasmine in full bloom was both very relaxing and enchanting. We would recommend the Simpson House Inn to anyone who is looking for a pampered, relaxing vacation yet still be walking distance to the center of town to enjoy the shops and fine food.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent.
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at the Greenwich Cottage. It's nothing too extravagant and quite small. Though the bathroom tiles were sparkling, the grout was white, and every surface of the room appeared clean, there was an odd, sort of "vintage" smell to the room that took some getting used to.

Elegant touches: Skylights, recessed dimmable lights in the ceiling's wooden beams, surround sound radio (great balance of sound, but the system was definitely from the 70s).

Weird: The bathroom door hits the toilet when opened. The television is awkwardly stuffed into a nook too small for it. The fireplace required extra cleaning that wasn't done before I checked into the room, and which I later had to call about, and that was a bit of a nuisance.

STATIC WARNING -- I think new dryer sheets are in order. The sheets of the bed, while obviously very high in thread-count, literally sparked blue and white light in the dark. For DAYS. Obviously veryveryVERY unnerving for me. I went through two robes that also had severe static. I've never seen anything like this before, to be honest. The static really distracted me from how soft and luxurious the sheets and robes probably were.

Amenities / extras: All nonalcoholic beverages are complimentary and bottomless. Cold water is filtered for making drinks as well. I was greeted with chocolate covered strawberries, sherry cakes, and a bottle of SB white wine. All delicious. Newspaper delivered to your doorstep every morning wrapped with a bow and nice inspirational quote. The bathroom products are very large, generously sized bottles of Kiehl's and were restocked everyday. Needless to say, I ended up with a bunch of lovely extras after spending a week here. :) Turndown service leaves small chocolate truffles before bed. The "complimentary kettle corn" (delivered to you if you'd like to stay in and watch a film) is just your run-of-the-mill Orville Redenbacher's. Though I still appreciate the gesture.

Food: Portions are perfect here, but what some might consider "too small." Don't be fat. Lemonade was AMAZING. Definitely have some in the sugared glasses. Dessert is really just cookies, though one night there was pecan pie. "Wine tasting" remained the same throughout the week, so it's not really a true "tasting." The Mediterranean apps were standard fare with a few surprises (highlights -- unique cheeses, prune dishes, balsamic dressed fruit). Breakfast was disappointing on some days, though I really enjoyed the delicious almond crusted french toast with ricotta cheese served one particular morning.

----------

SHI also offers their own tourist pamphlets in the living room of the main house. I am so glad to have stopped by and picked up a few. One of them is a very lovely and detailed walking tour best taken in the morning, that passes by several beautiful, original 19th Century homes. The history in the neighborhood is so rich! I learned the architects of certain buildings, the short stories of some of the owners, and of course detoured over to Alice Keck Park for some serenity.

Also, without those SHI pamphlets, I never would have discovered the Butterfly Reserve near UCSB (which was absolutely INSANE and wonderful) and I never would have known there was a Seal Rookery in Carpinteria; magical discoveries I knew nothing about in my years of visiting SB. Thanks to Simpson House, I witnessed a sea of hundreds of butterflies flying about me and I saw a live birthing of a seal pup in the wild. Those are moments I will never forget.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilleliza
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This B&B is charming, well-appointed and has lovely enchanting grounds. The staff is outstanding and gives the utmost attention to detail. I would have given a 5-star rating, but I felt overall it was very expensive for what was offered.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the most expensive rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple