“quick stopover” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Brisbane, Australia
“quick stopover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I booked the days inn in san simeon as it was half way between LA and San Fran and I was driving. I was visiting from australia so booked in advance but was happy with the rooms and service. Free wi fi was definitely a plus, as was the breakfast. Very happy with stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DaysInnSS, Owner at Days Inn San Simeon, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Days Inn San Simeon. We are looking forward to welcome you again on your next visit.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
Gold Coast Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were driving from San Francisco to LA and had stayed in the Days Inn in Monterey and want to stay in the area of the Hearst Castle so we tried the Days Inn again. They are renovating at this time but rooms are still clean and large with little noise, and in our opinion very cheap with a continental breakfast thrown in. The area has a few restaurants and bars, enough for the evening before you go to the castle in the morning.

Room Tip: We just dropped in.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DaysInnSS, Manager at Days Inn San Simeon, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
We appreciate your valuable comments. Thank you for staying at Days Inn San Simeon while we continue to upgrade the property. Next time you visit us, we promise you will throughly enjoy your stay with the new upgrades we make.
Fresno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was completely satisfied with our room for the price. We aren't that picky, just need to sleep after a day of wine tasting. Went for breakfast in the morning, and never could get to the one waffle maker they had because it was so busy. The coffee was pretty weak, but I didn't go there for the breakfast anyway, so no biggie. Check in was fine, and our room was ready when we arrived. HOWEVER, I woke up to having 3 sets of bug bites on my body...googled bed bugs, and VOILA! The pictures looked exactly like the bites on my body!! Ewwww!!! I have to say, I had read some reviews about this property with the same information and thought maybe people were exaggerating, as I have never had bed bug bites before.... Unfortunately, that was the case....I would not recommend the Days Inn San Simeon to anyone. It's been a week now, and I'm still scratching!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there! Our room was downstairs and it was very noisy. You could hear vacuum running e...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pam488
We apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay at Days Inn. I am sure this is an isolated problem and we will take appropriate measures to take care of the problem. Thanks again for being a valuable customer.

Travellers are raving about these San Simeon hotels

Old Forge,Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our room was large and clean. My only complaint is that although the hotel was nearly empty, we were put in a room that was farthest from the lobby! I had asked for a room on the first floor, but the receptionist told me there were no rooms available. As we were going to our room, I realized the place was almost vacant, but I was too lazy to return to the lobby to request a room closer to "civilization." I had planned to inquire about why they placed us in the "bowels of the earth" since the hotel was practically vacant, but the morning of our departure (5:30AM), no one was at the front desk. I would probably stay elsewhere, not because the room wasn't up to par. It was. I would choose another hotel just because the clerk lied to us. There are several hotels very nearby. I'm sure their rate was just as comparable with the exception of the Best Western (across the street). By the way, if you want the AARP rate, you must show your AARP card. I've never had to do that at other hotels.

Room Tip: If you request a room in a specific location and they tell you it's not available, walk through...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aydemitraveler
Ojai, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

A friend and I were heading up to Hearst Castle for a film festival event and decided to book a local hotel rather then make the long drive back to So. Cal after the screening. We ended up at the Days' Inn. I guess I will start with the good news: The hotel is in a pretty good location and the price was low. It's very close to beach access with great walking trails and just a few miles from Hearst Castle; at the time we booked it, the room was just $65 per night. That's about it.
Now, the bad news: by far the worst thing were the rude front desk people. Let me preface this by stating that the entire hotel parking lot was empty, like a ghost town! When the clerk handed us our keys I VERY specifically asked if we had an ocean view room, I mean we are the only guests, right? He looked me in the eye and nodded and said yes. Well of course when we marched our way up through the empty echoing hallways what did we find but NO, we faced a hill on the backside. So I went back down and asked if we could change rooms. Apparently this was a little overwhelming for the first clerk, so a lady came out and hemmed and hawed about they might be all booked up and I needed to request this in advance and they would cost more money.. So I simply said, "Ok then can you please refund my room charge? I will go to one of the neighboring hotels and get an ocean view there. Thanks!".. Man did that change her tune, suddenly she "found" an ocean view room and practically bent over backwards trying to be nice.. it was truly bizarre. What was most irritating is that she put up the "fully booked, extra money" thing in the first place which was, apparently an act of some kind.
So we did end up in the ocean view room.. and the view was really nice. The hotel itself was pretty beat up, perhaps they are giving it a much needed renovation because there was a big pile of loose concrete by the entrance and some of the stucco was ripped off the walls. Inside there wasn't a single piece of furniture that looked like it hadn't seen the bad side of a fraternity party.. the walls were beat up the wood was chipped the carpet was creepy.. When we turned on the shower the first few moments produced brown water(though it did get warm) the only thing that appeared in good condition was the hair dryer and the sink.
I mean we were only there for one night, and there were no bedbugs (believe me, we checked!) so no big deal, had the staff been more forthright it would be barely worth the review. I would LOVE to go back to that area but there are at least 5 hotels in a row and across the street I would gladly pick ANY one of those hotels over the Day's Inn.

Oh another good thing, there is a little restaurant in the parking lot (not at the hotel) I think called the San Simeon diner or something.. I had the BEST French toast EVER! Really nice service too and they gave me a 10% discount because I was at the Days Inn.. I would go back to that place in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Be sure to get your ocean view well in advance!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Redmango43
DaysInnSS, Owner at Days Inn San Simeon, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for bringing this issue up about the rude behaviour of the staff. This is totally unacceptable. We will certainly have a discussion with them and make sure this incident doesnt happen again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Simeon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,288 reviews
San Simeon Lodge
San Simeon Lodge
#2 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to Days Inn San Simeon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK