“The place to stay”

Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed 28 January 2015

If you love the beach and nature, the Cavalier is the best spot in San Simeon. Our room had a fireplace and a patio that let us out on to their beach trail walk. They light fire pits at night for romatic night views of the sea and a glass of wine. They have thought of everything. Rooms even have binoculars to take for nature viewing walks. This hotel is great for going to see the elephant seals during their winter breeding time and I would recomend two days, one for the seals and one for herst castle.

Room Tip: ask for the ocean view first floor with the patio.
2  Thank Bricken S

Reviewed 27 January 2015

The staff really went the extra mile for me and my dog Argyle. Even though this hotel is only rated a 3 1/2. The views of the ocean, access to the ocean front paths. Fireplaces in the room and Fire pits along the ocean were a lovely surprise. Fully stocked bar fridge and every amenitiy you could hope for. They upgraded me at the front desk as soon as I arrived with an Ocean view ground floor for my dog. The Noon checkout allowed me a leisurely breakfast a workout at the gym and a long beach walk. A mini vaction that was much more than expected.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Carolyn L
Reviewed 27 January 2015

I brought my wife here for our anniversary and she loved it. Woke up this morning to the sound of an elephant seal on the beach. How cool is that? Nice to have a real wood-burning fire in the fireplace in the room, a lovely view, good service. I like how they have to big comfy chairs facing the view, PLUS a balcony with an even better view.

They have regular rooms, "ocean view" rooms that are about 40 yards back from the ocean, and "ocean front" rooms that are right on the beach. We went with the middle ("ocean view") and they are fine. Can see over the top of the "ocean front" rooms to the left, and a clear view of the ocean on the right. Would stay here again.

Closest hotel to Hearst Castle. Food in restaurant is good but boring (typical motel restaurant fare).

Would definitely stay here again. However, the new Best Western reservation system is the pits. It even made a reservation for me, then lost it. Good thing I checked. In the end it took me several hours to get a reservation that worked, and had to call their customer service line several times to fix things. They were even having problems with the system. Book through somewhere else.

Room Tip: "Ocean view" rooms are 40 yards back, but have fine view. "Ocean front" are righ...
3  Thank wmleler
Reviewed 27 January 2015

This place definitely earns the word "resort" in it's title.

My best friend Walt and I stayed here many times over the years. Unfortunately, I lost Walt to cancer 2 years ago. As hard as it was for me, I returned for a short visit this month. It brought back so many great memories. We felt this place was like the hub for our stays on the coast. I could write a book on it. The people at the front desk and restaurant are top notch. The food at the restaurant is good. The rooms are always perfect, clean, with the most comfortable beds and bedding. Since my last vist, they just added huge thin panel TVs. We usually would stay up front near the front office. However, there are 2 other buildings with upgraded rooms with fireplaces, direct views of the ocean, etc. The selling point for us were the fire pits at night. Sitting out there, meeting new people, watching the ocean and listening to the waves crash. Sometimes, seeing a light from a ship out on the horizon. Or maybe seeing the flashing light from the Piedras Blancas lighthouse just north of there. You will always see staff on the property, working on things, and doing basic upkeep. It is in a prime location. The Hearst Castle is just slightly north. This resort is the premier place to stay in the area. Walt and I always joked about buying the property ( yeah, like we could afford it ) and running the place. A definite treasure. As with any coastal property, during prime season it can be a little pricey, but worth it. During off peak travel times, it's a steal. Enjoy your visit!

Room Tip: Choose any room on the property. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank lwjontheroad
Reviewed 26 January 2015

This hotel was definitely a nice stay, for the price and for the location it was a great price. I got the AAA discount so it cost around 400$. My friend and I went here to spend a couple nights because we wanted to just be to ourselves for that weekend before I went back to school and it was nothing short of impressive. In the future I hope to come back here.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
8.5 km away
Cambria Pines Lodge
Cambria Pines Lodge
#4 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK