Review Highlights
Unique Beach

Visited on 9/20/2018 (Thursday): Moonstone Beach is a unique beach, one like I've never seen... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
BrutolMotent
Pasadena, California
Cool place

Short stop close to the pacific coast highway. Cool place with natural round, polished stones... read more

Reviewed 4 September 2018
FredrikB_SWE
Sollentuna, Sweden

All reviews nice beach tide pools colored rocks nice walking pretty beach during low tide sea glass great place to walk central california board walk walking path harbor seals hearst castle elephant seals pebbles cambria moonstone
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Take a lovely beach of colored stones with a path that goes up the nearly cliffs with killer ocean views. Just behind this "park" there are small family run California seaside "motels". No high rises. Cute town with some great restaurants. Heavenly place to stay and rest.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

If you like picking up rocks or little bits of glass on the beach (like I do), then boy are you going to *love* the action at Moonstone Beach. I stuffed my pockets full of pebbles until Dirk dragged me away. Seriously, I filled a pouch with rocks like Mikey in Goonies when he put all of the jewels into his empty marble sack. Would go back again and again!

2  Thank Renee S
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I honestly had no idea what I was supposed to be looking for because I didn't research moonstones prior to my visit. We found a lot of beautiful little rocks in a wide variety of colors, though no moon stones. The beach area is clean and there is free parking. We went in August, but we didn't walk in the water, though there were some people sunbathing. This is a nice little place to visit to explore the mounds of stones. There were many kids there digging and oohing and ahhing over the beautiful rocks they found. This isn't a must-do-while in the area, but the ride over to this beach is scenic as there are great houses, restaurants and hotels lining the each side of the road. The architecture and colors of these buildings were beautiful.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Good place to stop when traveling up the coastline to Big Sur. Parking area @ Moonstone Beach Drive has a panoramic view of Moonstone Beach. However we didn't see any of those colored stones there. Not sure if you need to stop at another part of Moonstone Beach or if they only wash onto shore certain times of the year. If traveling though and want to see them, stop @ an information center and find out. A little secret not many people know about is along Moonstone Beach Drive, just about a quarter mile north of the parking area you can see harbor seals sunning themselves on the rocks. Just park along the road and walk down. They will do some very cute poses for you. We were here before, 20 years ago and saw them that time also.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Moonstone beach is a nice place to while away a few minutes before or after you visit Hearst Castle. I think there are better beaches elsewhere along the coast if you want to spend a day by the sea.