“Terrific Mole-Based Mexican Buffet”

Los Moles Hecho En Casa
Ranked #42 of 255 Restaurants in San Rafael
Reviewed 28 May 2018

We had lunch at Los Moles today. We were seated quickly and given a choice between ordering from a lunch menu or their lunch buffet. After we checked out the buffet, our choice was easy.

The buffet (which apparently is set out on Saturday and Sunday) included several mole chicken choices. I think the menu said they make either seven or nine different moles; I believe five were available on today's buffet. I had two moles, chicken with mole poblano and what I believe they referred to as "Elena's" mole, which is apparently the family version of mole rojo. Both were excellent. My wife also tried several pork items and was very happy with them. The buffet also included a green salad, pozole and menudo, and, finally, two types of flan.

At $17.00 per adult for the buffet (young kids are $10.00), Los Moles provided a big (no dinner for us tonight) and very satisfying weekend lunch. We live in the East Bay, but I know we'll be back to Los Moles on future visits to Marin County.

FYI, other Los Moles branches can be found in Emeryville and El Cerrito.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I love, love, love their Mole buffets on Sunday’s or their Taco Tuesday buffets. The food is far superior to any other Mexican restaurant around. It’s super fresh. The restaurant is very charming inside as well.

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

I am Venezuelan but love Mexican Food. This place sells authentic home made like food. I go either fro brunch on the weekends or Taco Tuesday. I love their juices, plantains and all the sauces they have to put on whatever you like to order. The staff is super friendly and the price is very reasonable

Reviewed 26 October 2017

The Camarones en Mole de Mango was great. Large fresh shrimp cooked perfectly, great sauce with just the right amount of spice.

We also had the Nuestros Moles (Leg and Thigh) and it was only okay. Nothing compared to the best moles I've had but hey, not the worst either. They have a *lot* of other sauces though so I'd probably try one of those in the future.

The green rice was okay. The chips were fine. None of the salsas I tried were memorable though.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

We love this place! The food is always good and the buffet has a great selection. The dishes are always fresh and the variety of moles, salads and salsas are amazing. A wide variety of flans are included as well as beverages and fresh tortillas. The staff is professional and friendly. We're local and love taking visitors here