See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 July 2017

As the title indicates, hotels in San Francisco aren't cheap. Even this one was over $100, which is a lot more than I would normally pay for such a low-class chain.

And as others have indicated, this is an old property that had a shoddy renovation. Upon arrival late at night, you knew this was in a sketchy area due to the tiny night window. Took what seemed like an eternity to get our keys. Parking is limited but there was still a spot or two available. Once in the room, the hardwood flooring was nice, but obviously cheaply made. I guess the painters ran out of money to use painters tape? Fixtures, lightswitches, etc. all had paint overspray/paint on them.

Found a few hairs on the bed, and a faint stain or two, but didn't look like blood or semen. It was good enough for the night and I survived. There is a random little "closet" area in each room that is basically wasted space. Bathroom was clean enough, though I didn't dare use any of the towels since they all had dark stains on them. Window didn't shut properly, so had a draft in the room all night as well as littel soundproofing from the freeway, people walking by, or the guy revving his motorcycle at 3AM.

I also REALLY don't understand the point of a "pet relief area" all around the bottom of the staircase. That was nasty rolling our luggage across that.

I know it's a Motel 6, I am used to staying at good quality hotels, and I shouldn't be so hard, but for the high price and shoddy remodel, I have to give it 2 stars.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Motel 6 San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Dear James, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the comfort issues you describe. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations Department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

clean, good size room, washroom was clean as well, wifi connection was good,free parking and of course pet friendly. About half hour drive from pier 39 taking the golden gate bridge way. Price was reasonable and friendly staff. Mind you they have smoking rooms and smoking within the premises are allowed.

Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed 17 November 2016

We arrived late at night and had no problem getting our keys. Parking is limited there and we had to park quite a ways away from our rooms and lug our suitcases in the rain. Room was very basic but bed was comfortable and shower worked. Our daughter got many insect bites -- we believe this was while in one of the rooms -- but the rest of us were not bitten.
Even though location was convenient to the freeway, I don't think we would stay there again. A little too basic for us.

Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank ElizabethB5027
Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

So I won't yank your chain and say it was Luxury at its best. It is an older motel six that has been refurbished . The out side has newer paint. The walks were cleaned each day. The planters were full of pretty flowering plants. We almost always use the guest laundry. That was very convenient and reasonably priced. With the office selling reasonably priced supplies and making change. The parking lot was well lit and clean. The only downside on this was the way it was set up. It was a bit tight Maneuvering a bigger car.

Our room was cute. Obviously, the room layout was designed a couple of decades ago, when refinishing the motel the management put in some reproduction mid century modern furniture. A cute corner booth and chair combo for the eating area. The bed was a platform bed with built in side tables and OMG there were plug ins aplenty for all the digital things we can't live with out. Dish TV, that I don't like but that is not the motels fault and it functioned correctly. The bathroom was clean and bright. Oh I almost forgot, the floor was laminate. I really hate carpet so appreciated a floor that could be properly cleaned. We also had a frig (clean) and a microwave (clean)

Down sides? A few but livable. There was a naked person several blocks away but six police officers. That's really the only one. I hardly think that's the motels fault.

Reasonably priced. Nice staff. Allows pets. Free wifi and parking. Close to a few cafes and fast food.

Not sure we will ever have a reason to be this direction but if we do this will be the first place we check.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2016

We stayed at this motel for an extended visit to the Bay Area. The room is spotlessly clean and the property is well maintained. The staff is courteous and helpful. It is centrally located with easy access to 101, I-80 and the 580. The views are not pretty, but the area is safe with convenient shopping a short drive away. Downtown San Rafael has many nice eateries and is worth the very short drive. Highly recommend this Motel. They are ADA compliant and very pet friendly.

Date of stay: September 2016