“Great room, great price”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Great room, friendly staff, good Wi-Fi, and under 100 dollars for the Bay Area. My only complaint would be the traffic noise from the freeway, but that quieted down and I slept wonderfully.

Will definitely stay again soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for North Bay San Rafael

Reviewed 16 March 2012

This motel wins my award of having the most functional motel furniture. I liked the layout of the room very much, and everything was new and clean. I got a room with two beds because it was cheaper, but that made it a little cramped. There was a computer desk, comfortable chair, surfaces to put things, sink outside the bathroom, clothes hanging area and fridge tucked into the wall unit, and the towels and bed coverings were good.

The freeway rages outside the motel, but the rooms were sealed well and the noise was not that bad. I had asked for a room away from the freeway. They gave me the second room away from it. I pointed out that I had put in that request to be away from the road, and the clerk said all of the other rooms were already taken. I checked in at 3PM because of the reviews of how they do not honor reservations - how could everyone else have checked in already? The people that checked in after me got an even worse room on the second floor beside the freeway, and they also went in to see if they could get another room and were told "no". After talking with them, I noticed that half of the rooms had the windows open and curtains pushed aside, so these rooms had not been checked into yet.

I heard that this area used to be really bad, but it didn't seem too shady. Mostly car dealerships. I saw mostly families walking so I thought it would be OK. Then walking in the morning, I did see what was obviously a drug deal going on in the parking lot of a restaurant that was still closed.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Ostara864
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Teh motel room was adequate to oour needs. The location is east of the central section of San Rafael and meant getting in the car to get anywhere. The second night we stayed there we drove up to the room, only to find the parking lot full of worker's pickups and a group standing outside our room smoking and drinking beer. Luckily they dispersed relatively early, but they were also up early the next morning, revving their trucks before heading off to their jobsite. Good thing it was cheap!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Drove in after pricing two other comparative places. We extended two more nights. Clean and nicely decorated. They made the best of having a small breakfast area. One complaint was that yogurt and bananas were missing on our second two days leaving me only less healthy choices. Perhaps previous breakfast guests may have taken them? The pillows were so comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Yes, that's right, it was like a scene out of Seinfeld. I stayed at the North Bay Inn last week even though previous reviews warned of the motel not honoring reservations. Last week I booked with Hotels.com but called personally to confirm anyway.

This week I "saved" $20 by booking directly through the North Bay Inn website, got a confirmation number and thought I was actually going to have a room when I arrived at 5 pm after working for 12 hours straight. Sorry, guess again. No room at the inn; now where have I heard that before? My printed confirmation from their own website didn't phase the woman at the desk, that is when she finally got tired of me banging on the window for 5 minutes and deigned to unlock the office sliding glass door.

The door to the check in desk is locked at all times. The "continental breakfast" they promised would have been nice, since the man who finally answered the door at 7 am last week, who refused to give me a receipt for my stay, was the same gentleman who checked me in the night before and who had pointed to the still empty counter telling me that the continental breakfast started at 6 am. I guess the idea is to keep the door locked until everyone gets frustrated and walks away, or gets too weak from hunger that they faint, which I imagine makes it easier for the management to go through their pockets.

I asked for a wake up call that never came either.

Luckily I found a motel later tonight after several tires, but please take my word for it; stay away from this sorry excuse for motel unless you enjoy being ignored and lied to.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
1.5 km away
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK