“What a Surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
artbcpa
“What a Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

The only reason I booked this hotel was because the two closer to my destination were full. Since I am a Priority Club member, I decided to try the Holiday Inn San Mateo. From the moment I reached the front desk, I was treated like royalty. The clerk at the front desk immediately searched for available upgrades and I was offered a choice of two different suites which were vacant for the night. Whether they do this for all guests or only for Priority Club members, I don't know, but this is a reason in itself to join.

The room was big and bright; the computer access was free, and the food from room service was excellent and not over priced at all. With regard to other reviewers comments about the WiFi, I would like to make this comment about this hotel and most others. WiFi is often inconsistent based on your location in the hotel. So when hotels offer hard wire connections, ALWAYS opt for it, unless your computer does not have that kind of connection. This Holiday Inn does have hard wire connections and mine was exceptionally fast. As for the food, I had both dinner that night and breakfast the next morning at the hotel and was very pleased with the quality and size of the portions. The service was a little slow; so if you are in a hurry, I would suggest going down to the restaurant. The one negative I might mention for my stay at the Holiday Inn San Mateo is the difficulty in getting to the place. Coming form the airport, you actually have to get off the 101 and go the other way. There is no exit where the hotel is. In summary, although the location was a little further from my destination and a little difficult to get to, I would choose to stay here again. This is a very good property with outstanding service by a well trained staff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank artbcpa
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

At a glance, the hotel and rooms overall look nice. The rooms are clean and large. However, when staying there, you'll notice some issues that a hotel like this should not have. First of all, the wifi is basically non-existent. It may be better if you're closer to the lobby, but from our room, the wifi was basically not usable at all. You needed to have a laptop plugged into an ethernet cord just to get a decent internet connection here. Also, the heater in the room didn't really work well. It was running the entire evening, night, and until the next morning. It didn't start actually heating up the room until about 6:00am. Finally, I had requested a late checkout (1:00pm) the day before, vs. their usual checkout time of 12:00 non. However, at 11:00am, housekeeping knocked and asked when we were leaving. When we said we had a late checking, housekeeping said, "so... you're checking out at noon?" Really, I don't like being rushed out of the hotel even before the checkout time. Still, the front desk staff gave us a huge room and the room still looked nice and clean, so I'll give the hotel 3 stars.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank flipsyde112
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear flipsyde112,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Great location if you are catching a flight at the SFO airport. It is convenient to shopping malls, restaurants, etc if you have your own car. Big rooms. Clean rooms and comfy beds. No adjoining rooms for families though as it is more of a business hotel. Be warned though as the commotion from the room above caused our window frames and ceiling to shake as if there was an earthquake...

• Stayed May 2012
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

First time at this place. room was very clean and spacious. would stay here again if our proffered hotel is overbooked again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank MaMa6363
Saint Paul, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Booked two rooms using priority club rewards on May 2nd, 2012. Never stayed here before, but they state that they have a shuttle to SFO airport. Returned my rental car early night before my departure so I would not have to deal with returning the rental car the moning of my flight out of SFO. The hotel was totally understaffed that day. One young woman who seemed pretty young had to manage the hotel that night. We made three calls to get the shuttle service from SFO to the hotel. Long story short, after almost an hour of waiting we ended up taking a taxi to the hotel. Once there I asked for a Manager and was told that the only person was the young lady holding up the fort. Still have not heard from the manager even though I left my cell phone. And by the way, I am a platinum priority club member. Would not recommended this hotel for business travelers or anyone needing to be close to the airport or shuttle service. You can do better with other Holidayinn brands. This was just not what I would expect. Never again at this hotel. Cost me more in the long run. And did I mention again that even as a platinum priority club member I have not heard from the general manager or anyone from the hotel. Take your business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MKandLSaintPaul_MN
Dear MKandLSaintPaul_MN,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced concerning the shuttle service. Let me take this opportunity to inform you that this matter will be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to San Mateo.

Karen G.
2.7 km away
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport / Burlingame
2.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK