“A world of beer and good grub”
Review of Spike's Place

Spike's Place
Ranked #188 of 325 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 15 December 2015

This place is an occasional indulgence. They have a world of beer, and although I don't like heavy beers, I can always find a good lager or pilsner to drink from their menu. The food is nothing fancy, but it's not over priced and accompanies their beers well, burgers, nachos, potato skins, etc. It's been in SLO a long time for good reason. Definitely worth a visit if you want good beer and grub.

Reviewed 7 December 2014 via mobile

I used to frequent Spikes back when I was in school, thought it'd be fun to take a trip down memory lane and grab a beer. We ordered two beers and two burgers...
Our server was horrible. Bad attitude, he was intrusive, never checked on us. When we needed something we had to get up and go to him... when he saw this he acknowledged that I was waiting for service, but instead of helping me he went to four other tables first to check on them before waving me down to come to him!
I'm in hospitality and make a living off tips. I'm a generous tipper. But I left him no tip, and we won't be returning to Spikes.

Reviewed 24 October 2014

The service was friendly, the beer selection was ample and the food was good. I had both the Tuesday taco special and the Ortega burger with fries. Yum!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Rustic old beer pub in the heart of San Luis Obispo, and a change of pace from the bars that are crowded with the loud college crowd. Great beer selection and pretty good bar food as well. We had their potato skins, and they were quite good. My only complaint was that payment and receipts are electronic (which I don't really mind), but an 18% tip was already inserted into the electronic tab. Ahh..., isn't that for me to decide? Tacky. Waiter could have a tiny bit more attentive as well.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Great beer selection, okay service and moderate prices, but a nice change of pace from the other younger skewing (college) bars downtown. Actually worth hanging around for a bit if you can grab one of the booths!