“Nice old pub....”
Review of Spike's Place

Spike's Place
Ranked #189 of 326 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Rustic old beer pub in the heart of San Luis Obispo, and a change of pace from the bars that are crowded with the loud college crowd. Great beer selection and pretty good bar food as well. We had their potato skins, and they were quite good. My only complaint was that payment and receipts are electronic (which I don't really mind), but an 18% tip was already inserted into the electronic tab. Ahh..., isn't that for me to decide? Tacky. Waiter could have a tiny bit more attentive as well.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Great beer selection, okay service and moderate prices, but a nice change of pace from the other younger skewing (college) bars downtown. Actually worth hanging around for a bit if you can grab one of the booths!

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I went with a few friends to this restaurant. They refused to give us separate checks, and some of our friends left early. When we got the bill, we struggled to figure out why we hadn't collected enough money. It took us a while to see that we were all charged an 18% tip. I am not a stingy tipper, but the waiter NEVER returned to see how we were doing, and I was forced to get up and find someone to give us more ketchup. When I called the owner the next day, she sided with her staff and blamed us for not giving her notice that we were coming. I told her that the service was really bad, and didn't deserve an 18% tip, she again told me that if I'd even given them a ten minute warning, they could have increased the number of employees for the night. I said, then why didn't they call you when we arrived? I don't like arguing with owners .. I think customer is usually right. I will not return to this restaurant. She would have been wiser to offer us a discount next time, rather than giving me excuses for bad service. Even an apology would have been better.

2  Thank rwerdja29111
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This is a good place to get a good beer and have some comfort food. Sit down try the many beers, food and good atmosphere. They are located in the old Creamery Building and you can visit other local hangout in the Creamery.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Spike's place was one of the first restaurants to serve a variety of craft beers. In the early days, patrons were encouraged to try all 40 of the beers on the menu (NOT all at once), and when you did, you got a tshirt and a plaque on the wall. All of us who "drank around the world" learned about different styles of beer, and started to drink good stuff. The food there is what one would expect. Generous portions of pub food that is adequate but not remarkable. But who goes there for the food, anyway?