“Don't go there”
Review of Spike's Place

Spike's Place
Ranked #161 of 322 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I went with a few friends to this restaurant. They refused to give us separate checks, and some of our friends left early. When we got the bill, we struggled to figure out why we hadn't collected enough money. It took us a while to see that we were all charged an 18% tip. I am not a stingy tipper, but the waiter NEVER returned to see how we were doing, and I was forced to get up and find someone to give us more ketchup. When I called the owner the next day, she sided with her staff and blamed us for not giving her notice that we were coming. I told her that the service was really bad, and didn't deserve an 18% tip, she again told me that if I'd even given them a ten minute warning, they could have increased the number of employees for the night. I said, then why didn't they call you when we arrived? I don't like arguing with owners .. I think customer is usually right. I will not return to this restaurant. She would have been wiser to offer us a discount next time, rather than giving me excuses for bad service. Even an apology would have been better.

1  Thank rwerdja29111

Reviewed 26 November 2012

This is a good place to get a good beer and have some comfort food. Sit down try the many beers, food and good atmosphere. They are located in the old Creamery Building and you can visit other local hangout in the Creamery.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Spike's place was one of the first restaurants to serve a variety of craft beers. In the early days, patrons were encouraged to try all 40 of the beers on the menu (NOT all at once), and when you did, you got a tshirt and a plaque on the wall. All of us who "drank around the world" learned about different styles of beer, and started to drink good stuff. The food there is what one would expect. Generous portions of pub food that is adequate but not remarkable. But who goes there for the food, anyway?

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Love the stuffed "skins". A local's favorite! Brews from around the world - in fact, I think you can win something if you can drink all the beers they offer (different visits, of course...) Fun place!

Reviewed 5 January 2011

Ever passed a place and felt its happy vibe right through the windows? That's what happened to us here, so we gave it a try, and we were glad we did.

As soon as we walked in the door, we were enveloped in warm, cozy atmosphere, certainly more so because it was 7 pm on a Friday and booths and tables were filled with lively folks. It was a mixed crowd of old and young.

But the place itself was the catalyst for the warmth: small rooms, no high ceilings, intimate high-back booths. And there’s lots of natural blonde wood in the décor -- seems like every bit of furniture and fixture is made of the stuff. It helps too that there are large windows along the booths so you can peer outside at passersby. And the staff are friendly and helpful, and prompt.

As for the food, what we tried was good. My ortega chile and jack cheese burger came with a side salad. My son ordered a salad also. The burger was average-quality meat, thin patty with a large diameter. It was tasty and cooked properly, and the chiles and cheese were nice. Bun was toasted well. Salads were large and fresh and composed of the frilly, bitter lettuce mix you get in a bag, plus tomatoes and cucumbers.

The beer selection is excellent; they’ve got about 40 brands from all over the world plus local favorites. I felt the price for the food was better than average for the area, as a salad comes with your burger.

And because of the fantastic atmosphere, I loved this place. If I lived in SLO, I'd be going here regularly.