1,839 results
All reviews rock shower copper cafe themed rooms over the top caveman room rock walls different theme pink champagne cake gold rush steakhouse kona rock men's restroom heated toilet seat love nest bucket list filet mignon one of a kind dance floor
Reviewed 23 April 2018

We stayed three nights in the Madonna Inn this spring. We loved the kitschy-ness of the whole thing, but the Inn has seen better days. Many of its coolest features are starting to feel pretty run-down. The half-shell sinks in the lauded downstairs bedroom are wearing through, and many of the decorations are just getting a bit tired. The whole site needs renovation and preservation.

The bedrooms are all unique, but the uniqueness may be part of its downfall. Again, many parts of the room are wearing through and the general quality is more motel than hotel. The randomness of the rooms also makes it hard to know what you're going to get. For instance, our room didn't have a dresser in it, so we never were able to unpack our bags. The rooms are not well insulated from each other so you hear everything. The hair dryer was weaker than my own breath. But the ultimate worst part was the shag carpet in our room--next to the bed, it was, for lack of a better word, sticky.

I recommend the restaurants on site, and everyone should visit the Madonna Inn, but I can't recommend any travelers *stay* at the Madonna Inn. The rooms are overpriced for the quality you get.

Also, there's no room service, so if that's important to you, you definitely will need to look elsewhere.

Room tip: Not all rooms are handicapped-accessible. Call the Inn to ensure specific needs are met.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank TheEricEric
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

You won’t find anything like this anywhere else. Although styled in a classic old fashioned way, everything was clean and tidy. Service was second to none too.

We stopped off in the coffee shop after we checked in .... warning .... the “slices” of cake were massive (but very good).
The steak from the restaurant was probably up there with the best I’ve had (and I’ve had a few). Waiter service was top drawer (thank you Jordan).

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2018

The Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo is unique in that it is whatever you wish it to be. It's a kitschy hideaway if that's what you're looking for, but the service and attention to detail are first-rate should you expect the amenities of a a four-star establishment . A cheerful employee corrected a few minor problems with our room, which was the impressive Lucky Rock. Note that certain lower rooms on the double floored building have a porch overhead for the upper level. Check by phone before you reserve.

Room tip: Avoid rooms with patio rooftops.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

I have never written a review in my life, but I had to in this case. On my way down the coast, my girlfriend wanted to stay at the Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo. We checked in, dropped off our luggage and went to the pool for sun and drinks. It was a beautiful pool. The whole place was pretty cool. Late 50's style. After the pool we walked around the grounds and hit the gift shop. Went back to the room (Italy Room, king and full size beds), showered and went to the bar for drinks and dinner after. I had the pork chop my girlfriend had the prime rib. Both were delicious. We went back to the room exhausted and a little buzzed. We put our pink robes and climbed into bed with just the tv on. I woke up at 5:30, still in my robe, to use the bathroom. I came back to bed and see a dark spot on the bed. Lights still off, I'm trying to turn on the light from my phone and my girlfriend wakes up. Just then I get the light on and see a large amount of blood on the sheets right where I was sleeping. I freak out and run to the bathroom and check everywhere on me. Nothing. My girlfriend checks my everything. Nothing. No blood on the pink robe. No blood on the top sheet. The blood on the sheet went all the way through the mattress pad to the bed. It was completely dry. I quickly shower and go to the front desk. The receptionist said the manager wouldn't be in until 7 and offered me cleaned sheets. I said no, we're leaving. We packed our things and left as quickly as possible. While on the road the manager(Joe Forgette) called and left a message. He determined the blood came from me and will be charging me for the sheets and mattress pad. I'm in the hospitality industry, I know mistakes are made. I was expecting the manager (Joe Forgette) to call, apologize and try to make it right. He took the opposite approach and blamed me for the dried blood on the sheets. He said he would be charging me for the sheets and mattress pad. Needless to say I was outraged. If the blood came from me, I would have bigger problems than having to pay for sheets and a mattress pad. This should have been handled differently.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank ajhhi2018
Reviewed 18 April 2018

Quick and easy check in. Very friendly front desk. We stayed in the Old World room. Watch your step. The walking area to the 3 cave rooms is very uneven and slippery when it rained. We loved the room! Looked exactly like the online pictures! Had to keep flip flops on as the floor can be hard on your feet. The bed was hard. We loved the cave atmosphere! This is a suite and we had a kitchen table area with a working sink and frig. There was no microwave. There is a sofa and large, working fireplace with a switch to turn on (Be sure to open a window a bit as it is gas). Cave entry into a vanity area with sink and another into the bathroom. The bathroom sink had water that came down the rocks into the rock sink. It was beautiful! Loved the shower! It had a good showerhead, but also had water running out of the rocks on both sides. Area to sit too and enjoy. The floor of the shower was not slippery, however the water does not stay in the shower and crossed the entire bathroom floor where it was VERY slippery. Felt slimy, couldn't tell if it was from soft water, waxing, or?? The bed was quite hard, but overall we loved the experience! The pool was nice and warm. Hot tub small but nice! There is a nice bar area at the pool, still nice for families. There is a spa too, which we did not indulge in. Towels are provided in your room, or at the pool.We did have to drive to the restaurant and the pool as the hotel and grounds are on steep hills. We had a hard time walking, but others seemed to do just fine. We ate at both restaurants and had incredible food and service! Ask for Jamie at the Madonna's Steak House Restaurant! She was amazing! Best service and friendliest server we had on our entire trip! Thanks Jamie for a special evening for my daughter (turning 16) and me! Enjoyed watching all ages dancing to nostalgic music. We had breakfast in the cafe that was very good too.

Room tip: Be sure to take time to check out everything! The hotel shops, restaurants, pool area, spa, horses, grounds are extraordinary!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family