“Hotel Manager Lied to Us”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of El Toro Motel

El Toro Motel
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, California
“Hotel Manager Lied to Us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

My daughter graduated from Cal Poly this weekend and we stayed here. There were people hanging out in front of the motel who looked like they were up to no good. I asked the manager to show me the room we would stay in and he showed us a room that was decent with a flat screen tv and also very clean. When I went into the room I stayed in, it was the complete opposite. I put layers of towels on the mattress to avoid bed bugs. The windows did not even lock! I couldn't leave my stuff in the room because I was unsure if it would still be there when I came back. I told the manager I did not want to stay here because I did not feel safe and he said there was nothing they can do. There are no refunds. Do not stay here!! It is disgusting.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank slotraveler88
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

We stayed here several nights. The motel is old, but the rooms are very clean and totally adequate. We had a couple of minor problems which were addressed and taken care of immediately. Having a micro and fridge certainly helped with our budget. Noel, in the office couldn't have been more friendly. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eagle909696
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

The motel appeared old and run-down. Junky chairs sitting on the porches outside rooms. We were not told about any continental breakfast, but it looked like there was coffee and some pre-packaged pastries. The beds were fine and it was relatively clean but the bathroom was "bare bones" and the shower looked old and and a bit scummy, although it worked fine. There was no hair dryer, although the description said there was. I was able to get an old one from the front desk. Although the owner/manager seemed nice, housekeeping "forgot" to make our beds and replace our dirty towels. There was a fair amount of road noise and there was a bright light right outside our window that made sleeping difficult unless you are heavy sleepers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chloe87

Travellers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

So I think those who have reviewed this spot have exaggerated a little. I mean it's fine - not gross or anything and the guy at the front office is really nice. But make sure to ask for a room on the interior because across the parking lot it's really loud.
The heater in my room started banging really loud in the middle of the night so I froze... But other than that it's your typical roadside motel - decent, good location an I felt safe...

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Tnole
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Spent one evening during stayover in SLO. The roadside travel Inn for the weary traveller looking for a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price. Front desk manager hilarious and honest about the product he is selling...basic, clean, safe hotel room convenient to downtown San Luis Obispo. Old Americano Kitsch...only missing Route 66

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends