“Good friendly service. Thai food good by USA's standard”
Review of Mai Thai

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mai Thai
Ranked #40 of 287 Restaurants in San Leandro
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 31 May 2017

My friend invited me to Mai Thai for Thai food for lunch, because I host them in Bangkok, when they came to visit me. Had the calamari (not Thai) very good. We shared the chicken green curry and pad thai, which was good for USA's standard.
I will try again when I return back in East Bay in August. I normally don't eat Thai food when I come home for visit.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

I come here for lunch often since it's close to the office. It can get very busy, so it's not a great place to go if you are in a rush. They have great rice plates and their coconut soup (tom ka) is amazing! It comes out with a flame and served sizzling hot. I also always enjoy their bbq chicken, pork chop or curry!

Reviewed 23 September 2016

My companion and I were motivated to eat at this restaurant due to its tripadvisor.com rating as one of the best Thai restaurants in San Leandro. I had an errand in San Leandro or I would not have driven to this restaurant as there is a very good Thai restaurant with low prices nearer to my home.

The restaurant is in a low-end strip mall and actually faces Fairway which runs perpendicular to Doolittle. The music which can be heard in the parking lot is very loud and unpleasant. I do not know the source of that music, but the music in the restaurant was similar, loud, and unpleasant and was still too loud after the server decreased its volume at my request.

The restaurant is simply but nicely decorated, much more elegantly than one would expect in its neighborhood. However, the playing TV detracts from the setting. At about 5:15 p.m. on a Thursday we were the only patrons, so we had efficient and cheerful service.

The menu is extensive with at least four pages of main courses and a page of appetizers. The appetizers are mostly in the $9 range, which expensive for this area. The main dishes are mostly between about $11 and $15 with chicken at the lower range and seafood at the higher end. There are also a few more expensive main dishes. These prices are almost a third more expensive than at my favorite Thai restaurant in Castro Valley.

The food is delicious. We started with fish cakes and cucumber salad which is served combined as one item, not two separate dishes. The fish cakes were served at a nice very warm temperature and were moist, not crispy, a new and pleasant experience for me. They were very good with the red sauce from the cucumber salad spooned on them. Without the sauce, they were too bland. I had never encountered red sauce on a Thai cucumber salad before. This sauce was nicely sweet and not spicy. However, there were almost no cucumbers in the salad. Raw purple onion rings were more plentiful. Do not order this dish if you want a standard Thai cucumber salad.

Our main courses were cashew chicken and sweet and sour prawns. The chicken dish had plenty of chicken, but few cashews or vegetables. The prawn dish had a nicely flavored slightly sweet, non-spicy sauce, about seven reasonably large prawns, and plenty of vegetables,

By the end of the meal, which took less than half an hour to eat, including the short wait for the appetizer, my back ached on account of the uncomfortable chair which gave almost no back support. All the chairs appeared identical.

I enjoyed the opportunity to eat the fish cakes, but all things considered, there are less expensive Thai restaurants in the area which serve food which is as good or better. Our bill and change were brought very promptly which I appreciated due to the discomfort of sitting in the chair. When we left, I saw at most one party dining in the restaurant. I would not return, given the superiority of the competition among Thai restaurants in the San Leandro-Castro Valley area.

Reviewed 15 October 2015

I've been twice and plan on making it a regular. Nice atmosphere and decor. Friendly wait staff and excellent service. Food presentation is beautiful.

Reviewed 20 May 2015

They have always been consistent with the food. Staff remembers you, mightbe because we are there so often. Portions are great and service is quick and friendly.