“Great for ribs”

Ranked #107 of 2,223 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

Quick stop for ribs and a drink, was all good. Nothing fancy but well cooked and marinated meat and fresh salad.

Reviewed 27 November 2016

Sam's has been around for years. A causal neighborhood place to go for barbecued ribs. Also sandwiches, hamburgers, good selection of side dishes. I had the beef sandwich with side of potato salad. There was a generous amount of sliced beef. My wife had a two meat barbecue platter with a side a thick cut potato fries and macaroni salad. Beer and wine available.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

We were temporarily tired of our current places and wanted a quick barbecue dinner so went to Sam's BBQ on Bascom Avenue. I had the chicken dinner and my wife had the ribs both were fine what we wanted for dinner that night. Prices were moderate and service was fairly quick we had a nice meal. Definitely not fine dining quality or even steakhouse quality but perfectly acceptable for a decent barbecue dinner.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Sam's BBQ is a cozy place, where I like to go when I am REALLY hungry. It seems pricey, but you get HUGE portions! I sit on the enclosed patio whether or not there is a musical guest -- but that is certainly more fun if you like bluegrass (or just talented musicians in general). Go with casual friends and wear a shirt that already has a stain! You will be glad you did!

Reviewed 7 September 2016

We had dinner on Friday night around 7:00 PM. There was a line out the door, and for good reason- the food is delicious. The ribs were smoky, tender, and fell off the bone. The smoked chicken was moist and perfectly cooked. I asked for a baked potato instead of fries and they happily obliged without any upcharge. Overall, portions are quite generous.
This is as casual place; you order at the counter, they give you a number, and then bring your food to you at the table. There is a model train going around the perimeter above, and lots of train pictures and memorabilia. It's busy, and so it can be a little loud, but don't let the casual nature of this restaurant deter you; the food is completely worth it. This place is great for everyone, including kids.
I would definitely go to Sam's again the next time I find myself in San Jose.