“Average..Nice location, nice lobby, service was so mediocre” 3 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lindenhurst, Illinois
“Average..Nice location, nice lobby, service was so mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

When I entered into the lobby, I thought wow what a nice hotel- palacial and European feeling but then when I got to the reception desk I was quite disappointed. The service was very mediocre like why was I bothering them. When I was checking out there was a line of 8 people, it moved relatively quickly but I was regretting not doing self checkout. The rooms are clean but a bit awkward. There arent towel racks where there should be. The shower doesnt have a shelf that holds all travel amenities. And most annoying of all, the lotion was half gone. I will try another place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stay there every week on buissness and I must say it is GREAT.. The area around the hotel is super with lots of places to eat. I wish they had cheeper parking.. 26.00 is a bit much..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was the nicest hotel I've stayed at. Ever. I was in town for a conference at a local hospital and upon arrival was greeted by everyone in sight. Check-in was smooth with no issues. My room was on the 17th floor with an excellent view of the mountains. Very large room and bathroom, beds were super comfortable. There is an European bakery attached to the hotel that is AMAZING and reasonably priced. Very close to restaurants and I felt safe walking around the area by myself. If I had to make one complaint, is that the sink in the bathroom was a little slow draining. And that's extremely minor b/c it didn't effect my stay at all. LOVE the Fairmont.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

A few weeks before my stay I joined their Presidnet's Club to get free wireless Internet when I stay. They have this new thing where they email you and you can say you are on your way with an ETA. When you arrive there's no wait at check in they verify your ID and hand you your key card. Great! Our room was very nice on the 12th floor main tower. 2 windows, one faced east - we could see San Jose State campus & hills beyond. The other faced south. Great city views at night. Super quiet. Super clean. Beds were fantastically comfortable. 2 doubles with 4 pillows on each. Spacious room, nice bathroom with separate shower and bath. Love not standing in a bathtub to take a shower. Nice bath products. Whole experience was great. Will be staying again in June. Our room was behind the elevators but they arranged the room so that the wall shared with the elevators was the bathorrm. Then between the bathroom and the bedroom wall was a vanity area so by the time you got to the bedroom there was no noise at all from the elevators.

Room Tip: Street noise may be a problem so get as high as possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Hotel Fairmont San Jose
The hotel is right in the center of San Jose. An old fashioned very big “grand” hotel consistent of two buildings each with an impressive high ceiling lobby which give the impression of faded glamour. The main lobby and bar is big with two grand pianos.

Reception is a bit slow, we get our room cards, had to go quite a way to our room, but our cards do not function. So we went back to reception and they needed more than 5 minutes in a back room to find out that they just noted the wrong floor.

The room is big, the 2 beds very comfortable. And that is all that is to say in the positive.
The socket in the bathroom almost came off the wall as we tried to pull off the plug of the coffeemaker to plug in the hairdryer, so we had to use a socket in the bedroom.
The safe was closed so we had to call for a technician. “Front desk” did not answer the phone, the lady from “Guest Line” told us that someone would come soon but we would have to stay in the room for him. After 20 minutes we phoned again and she said that she would remind him and hoped it would not be too long. After 5 minutes the technician called and asked whether maybe the safe would be functioning in the meantime. As this was not the case, he said: Okay, then I have to come. To open the safe took him less than 1 minute.

We went for a late lunch in the lobby bar in the main building, the pasta was good, the burger with fries cold.

Breakfast is supposed to be from 6:30 in the Fountain Restaurant, but that was closed. They offered some Danish and coffee in plastic cups in the lobby bar, not very inviting and not what we had booked in our package. As we told reception that the restaurant was closed, they could not understand it and said: Oh, so sorry, but you can go to the Imperial room in the ball room area there they serve a buffet breakfast. And he even called them to get this confirmed. So we started on another long way to the Imperial room only to see that they had just begun to prepare the buffet with lots of empty trays and undone tables. We then went back to reception, told them that we would abstain from the breakfast and would expect them to reimburse us accordingly. We went for breakfast outside the hotel and left the place gladly shortly after.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank voyager-liese
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Sir,
First, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose! I know that you always have a choice between hotels and we are pleased that you have chosen ours. Your business truly is important to us. I wanted to personally respond and follow up with you after I received your review. I would like to assure you that we take all comments and concerns from our guests very seriously and yours is no exception.

I would love to discuss your experience in further detail. Please don't hesitate to contact me, thank you.

Joanne Tan